Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity 80Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Just had Sky BB installed. High Ping?

Old 17-04-2012, 14:30   #1
djstevie
Inactive

Services: Sky HD+ Multiroom, Sky BB Unlimited, Sky Talk Unlimited.
djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light
Just had Sky BB installed. High Ping?

Just had my Sky Unlimited BB go active today. I know theres a 10 day training period on the line (or so i've read) but my ping is quite high at the moment, 50-70. Will this settle down?

Also read on here that you can apply for a gaming profile. Do i need to wait till the end of the training period or can i ask for it just now? I setup a think BB monitor which seems to have what looks like ping spikes every so often. Is this normal?

Bit of a newbie to Sky BB hence why so many questions
djstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2012, 16:59   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Just had Sky BB installed. High Ping?

There is no 10 day training period.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:04   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
There is no 10 day training period.
They called it DLM when I got it , my line started at 4mb and gradually rose to 9mb through the 10 day period.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:12   #4
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They called it DLM when I got it , my line started at 4mb and gradually rose to 9mb through the 10 day period.
We switch on Friday, and that's what they've told me as well - seems like they use 4mb as a starting point for everyone, then raise it according to your local area etc. The letter says that there might be a few drops in connection over the 10 days, but it'll then settle down.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 17:57   #5
djstevie
Inactive

djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yep thats whats happening to my line at the moment i think.
Old 17-04-2012, 18:48   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/10-day_training.html

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_dlm.html

There is no 10-day training or DLM on LLU.

DLM would not cause your line to gradually rise over any period. DLM only reduces your line speed, not increase it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 17:22   #7
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

You do have to request a profile change to the gaming profile, for lower pings

There's probably a proper word for it, fastpath?

I emailed the request in as soon as we got Sky unlimited and it was changed pretty quickly.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:48   #8
djstevie
Inactive

Thanks for the replys. I called sky yesterday and was put on the gamer profile and ping is now between the 30 and 40 mark. Much better.

I have had an issue with the Sky router though, i also had this problem with the Virgin router as well. Basically my xbox 360 is hardwired and my pc, laptop,2x mobile phones and tablet all connect wirelessly (not all at the same time mind you). Anyway when i have the router wireless set to N i keep getting d/c from Xbox live. Set it to G and i dont. Very strange considering im not connecting to live wirelessly. Im assuming that one of my other devices is causing this issue but strange it only happens when its set to N.