Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme'

Old 22-02-2012, 18:12   #61
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Sainsbury's pull out of 'Work for your benefits scheme'

They didn't work that way at Asda (maybe because it isn't just shelf stacking, which is only part of the Shop Floor Assistant's job).

But the point is that they are not jobs, they are work experience, which may lead to a job, and will also show potential employers that the applicant has the ability to turn up and do a job.

I (and I assume most employers) would not go out and take people on for 4 to 8 weeks on spec, on full pay, for the possibility that some of them might be employable - ymmv.

Just found a job ad for Work Placement at Asda
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2012, 18:16   #62
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They didn't work that way at Asda....

But the point is that they are not jobs, they are work experience, which may lead to a job, and will also show potential employers that the applicant has the ability to turn up and do a job.
I do not think you and i will agree on this point Hugh but i think if tesco or sainsbury or any other employer has a role to fill they should do what employers did when i started work.

Take a youngster on and if they do not come up to scratch goodbye,no government JSA needed.

Why should my tax money go to subsidisng employment at tesco, sainsburys at least recognise that very point which is why they pulled out.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:20   #63
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

But, and here is where we do differ, they don't at the time have a role to fill.

They are taking people on to give them work experience - if, at the end of that time, there are vacancies, they have tried someone out, the person has tried the job, and if they take it, everybody wins.

I think companies are pulling because of the unwarranted bad publicity, myself.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:24   #64
richard1960

Quote:
But, and here is where we do differ, they don't at the time have a role to fill.

They are taking people on to give them work experience - if, at the end of that time, there are vacancies, they have tried someone out, the person has tried the job, and if they take it, everybody wins.

I think companies are pulling because of the unwarranted bad publicity, myself.
Its no coincidence to me that after christmas tesco announced they had made less profit then expected so though they might not have any "official" roles to fill the stench of them using this as cheap labour remains.

At the taxpayer expense.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:25   #65
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

But if they get jobs after the four to eight weeks, they are off the taxpayers expense (no JSA or expenses), and are paying tax.
Old 22-02-2012, 18:30   #66
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

interesting article here

Quote:
The retailer has suggested to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that “to avoid any misunderstanding about the voluntary nature of the scheme, the risk of losing benefits that currently exists should be removed”.

Furthermore, the supermarket has put in place its own alternative paid four-week work experience placement, with a guaranteed permanent job at the end of every “satisfactory” completion

http://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/pm...kes-u-turn.htm
Old 22-02-2012, 18:39   #67
richard1960

Quote:
But if they get jobs after the four to eight weeks, they are off the taxpayers expense (no JSA or expenses), and are paying tax.
Yes i agree perhaps the solution might be for tesco or any other employer to pay back the cost of JSA to the government on retension of the employee.

That way nobody would lose out.

The employer would have a good employee and the government ie taxpayer cost was covered win win.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Very good read Martyh not least the legal status of these "volunteers" as employees.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:08   #68
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Sounds good
Old 23-02-2012, 10:45   #69
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Seems like A4e is really getting a lot of flak again. they're being investigated for fraud yet again. I think this is the 6th time now.

as far as I know they paid the money back on a couple of occasions and that was the end of it. but looks like it's still going on.

Did you know Emma Harrison paid herself 8.6 million pounds of tax payers money for what she does?

now they're being investigated for getting the unemployed on their books to sign blank time sheets. I suppose so they can fill in alleged times and make money out of it.

It's all crashing down now. the rich making money from the poor is being looked at, and the poor having a voice the rich didn't hear until now.

Another scam that was and is still going on is where these kind of 'agencies' when they had the unemployed on their books and they finished the course and went back on the dole or whatever. they would call or write to that person and tell them that they have £50 to give them if they have since found a job after finishing the course. just need to come in and sign for it and you'll get it off the receptionist.

that was I assume so that they can put it down that they found you that job and get a big fat bonus from tax payers money for doing absolutely nothing.

disgusting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1n4aNu1fj
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:55   #70
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

by the way the noises coming from tesco now are somewhat more respectable. I think tesco got duped by the DWP and have realised that. What we need now aside from the changes already announced by tesco is for the government to back down on the sanctions.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

just read that story, its the daily mail so I wont assume its 100% true, but this is an example IF true what happens when profit is mixed in with welfare.

I suspect also that a4e company may have been hoping all claimants are lazy and dont care about actually finding work so noone would grass them up.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:22   #71
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ther_multiline

Quote:
It is easy to imagine how wizard the idea must have looked from the work and pensions minister's corner office. Work experience does make people more employable – and it should be open to benefit claimants, not just those with better-off parents who can subsidise them. But it is also easy to see how offensive it is to perform boring, menial, or simply pointless tasks for major retailers without being paid. And when it means working for employers who make billions of pounds each year (or, as at A4e, where bosses take millions in public money as bonuses), it is simply exploitative.
Old 23-02-2012, 13:32   #72
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I could agree with that mostly and i disagree with the scheme, but i am guessing if the guardian journalist that wrote that piece had gone into their local supermarket and the shelves had of been empty they would see the job of stock replenishment as anything but pointless.

We really need to get away from describing some peoples jobs as menial and pointless.

However as i have said if there is a job to be done let the supermarkets pay the going rate.
Old 23-02-2012, 15:50   #73
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I could agree with that mostly and i disagree with the scheme, but i am guessing if the guardian journalist that wrote that piece had gone into their local supermarket and the shelves had of been empty they would see the job of stock replenishment as anything but pointless.

We really need to get away from describing some peoples jobs as menial and pointless.

However as i have said if there is a job to be done let the supermarkets pay the going rate.
agreed no jobs pointless all jobs and workers do a duty as a team to a goal. Problem is business bosses have forgot this simple notion. So they rake in the money kick the bigies out of lower staff dont pay there worth.

Bosses goto remember without stackers there no goods to purchase no profits to add.

A stacker who works nights deserves a pay which reflects such. Thus increase wages other staff to reflect there importance to the operation of the company. Fair wage scale for once in there lives.

I agree these schemes are wrong although would be more respected towards them alittle if Tesco or anyother company paid up. My proposal this to take it you keep all benefits all help you get. As reward for this say tesco pays £60 to you as wage plus transport costs. That goes in the claments pocket no taking off them to reduce benefits paid.

Gives these claiments bit pocket money makes them proud not feel like cheap slave labour.

If the above was done then I would be less against it crickey even YTS Scheme gave the youth something for taking it. Even though I thought it was cheap labour it was worth it for the little money you got ontop benefits.

They want the labour then companies pay up.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 06:57   #74
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17150593

Its seems more and more businesses are getting itchy feets over the government's work experience scheme for jobless people.

Quote:
Bakery chain Greggs has become the latest company to voice concern over the government's controversial work experience scheme for jobless people.

Chief executive Ken McMeikan told the BBC he was not be comfortable with young people potentially losing their benefits if they leave the initiative.

Critics say the Get Britain Working project is "slave labour" that exploits people on benefits.

The government has insisted that the scheme is an "excellent" opportunity.

Sainsbury's, Waterstones, Matalan and Maplin have already left the scheme, and Tesco and Argos have expressed concern
Old 24-02-2012, 08:49   #75
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Poundland is also dropping out of the scheme.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-7440154.html

I had a mate who's on JSA and 'had' to work there for his benefits, he told me there were so many people there doing the same thing that were more people on the shop floor than customers. No one had a clue to what they were supposed to do and was just standing around doing nothing. Yeah that's some 'excellent' opportunity isn't it.

They said it's voluntary, yet he had no choice, they need to make up their minds and come clean on the facts.