Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 18-05-2017, 09:54   #136
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
That video states "Not Available"
me too, once again they don't think and do something to piss off the international fans. I agree though, like the new movies it looks too modern. If it is set after Enterprise presumably they'll have phasers, shields and photon torpedoes but I just hope they keep all the technology and timeline in check.
I have said many a time before that I would love to see a new series set after Voyager on a ship like the Relativity which can travel through time and the modern look they are showing off here is what would suit a series set in the future. More "realistic and believable" as I like to say.
Anyways, I pulled these off the Star Trek website which I got an email from this morning.

Last edited by General Maximus; 18-05-2017 at 10:02.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2017, 17:05   #137
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

That UK Netflix trailer was very different to the US CBS one. Seemed faster paced and mostly the same footage but edited very differently.

Why oh why have they redesigned the Klingons, especially if it is set in the original timeline and only 10 years before Kirk and the original Enterprise.

Glad the Discovery design has been tweaked and got a lot more detail than the original teaser had.

UPDATE - Apparently the ship we see in the trailer in all exterior and interior shot is actually the USS Shenzhou and the Discovery is not shown in the trailer.

USS Shenzhou - NCC-1227

Last edited by Stephen; 18-05-2017 at 17:26.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:13   #138
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I'm almost excited although I'd prefer it not to be on Netflix - I'll probably turn sheep and pay though.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:56   #139
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why oh why have they redesigned the Klingons, especially if it is set in the original timeline and only 10 years before Kirk and the original Enterprise.
I know, I thought the same thing but didn't want to say anything because I already moan too much. They did such a good job of establishing the Klingons and setting them up for TOS in Enterprise it is going to be a damn shame if they screw it up. Given how huge Star Trek is, I don't understand why they don't have a team of guys whose job it is to maintain the history/fact checking/continuity of the universe like they do with Star Wars. When they start changing what is probably the most famous species in Star Trek they are playing a very dangerous game and risk it back firing on them big time.
Old 18-05-2017, 22:07   #140
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They basically do. Michael and Denise Okuda have been heavily involved since TNG, including the recent TNG remastering.

If you watch some of the documentaries on making the Blu Rays of TNG, it wouldn't have happened without them. Same is true when the costume and prop sale happened, they basically wrote the provenance for each item.

However for whatever reason, they're not involved in Discovery.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:13   #141
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

What really bugs me though is how out of the timeline the ship's and uniforms are.

As essentially the Enterprise actually exists and is on one of its 5 year missions with Spock as it's first officer.

Again why mess with history. They would be better setting it in the future. It's meant to be the prime timeline as well.

Also the bridge of the Shenzhou looks kinda similar to the Franklin from Star Trek Beyond which was built 100 or so years before.

They also have kept the movie style bridge window/display.
Old 19-05-2017, 08:32   #142
General Maximus
Ran Away

Do you know what, having read your post I have decided I am not going to bother watching it, which I never thought I would say about Star Trek in a million years. I can accept a movie every 3 years as a scifi-action and accept the modern new look and effects but there needs to be more than that for a tv series. There is something special that makes Star Trek what it is and that is the science, exploration, morals and struggle to do the right thing. There needs to be more to a series than action and special effects every week.

I harp on about my "realism" factor and things making sense. I grew up with tng, ds9 in my teens and voyager finished when I was at uni so I know it all inside and out and changing the Klingons to something new isn't "realistic" for the Star Trek universe and I am not going to be able to enjoy it because I am going to be watching every episode scratching my head thinking how things don't tally with what we know. Part of the reason why I think I enjoyed Enterprise more than most people is because of the "development" episodes. Although many people argued that it wouldn't be new and interesting because it is all history, I loved how it meshed with the other series and we saw how they developed the phasers, photon torpedoes, shields, dealt with the Klingon ridges and even "reed alert". It all made sense and if they are going to go and change a formula that has worked for decades then I am not interested.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:12   #143
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

As nuch as I moan about the changes and things that don't match with Trek history I am still planning on watching though. Who knows maybe there will be a surprise or two and it will start to make sense.

Also what doesn't make sense is that the Discovery was nowhere to be seen in the trailer! No that is rather odd.
Old 19-05-2017, 14:07   #144
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

The more I see of this, the more I think "meh".

I'll watch it initially, simply as a sci-fi series, but its not looking much like Star Trek atm.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 13:59   #145
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
As nuch as I moan about the changes and things that don't match with Trek history I am still planning on watching though. Who knows maybe there will be a surprise or two and it will start to make sense.

Also what doesn't make sense is that the Discovery was nowhere to be seen in the trailer! No that is rather odd.
No sign of Jason Isaacs either, that I could see.
Old 31-05-2017, 09:03   #146
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
What’s in store for the new Star Trek: Discovery? According to TrekToday, fans can expect to see Harcourt Fenton Mudd in the upcoming CBS All Access TV series.
Mudd, a con artist living in the 23rd century, first appeared in the original Star Trek series and subsequently made a cameo on Star Trek: The Animated Series. Both times the character was played by Roger C. Carmel.
According to TrekToday, Mudd will be a recurring character on Star Trek: Discovery. The role will be taken over by The Office‘s Rainn Wilson and the fan favorite character will reportedly appear in more than half of the season.
Old 31-05-2017, 17:05   #147
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

While I certainly remember him, I would not call him a fan favourite, at least not this fan.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:20   #148
General Maximus
Ran Away

me neither (and I don't remember him either). I hate it when they do stuff like this and try and big something up for the sake of keeping the series in the news and popular. When I read "Star Trek: Discovery: A Classic Character Will Appear in Multiple Episodes" I thought "omg, how are they going to bring Spock back!"
Old 19-06-2017, 21:33   #149
General Maximus
Ran Away

All I can say is halle-flipping-lujah

Quote:
The latest chapter in the Star Trek saga has its premiere date -- with the 15-episode season set to be released in two chapters. Read below for specifics.

U.S. Schedule

Star Trek: Discovery will launch in the U.S. on Sunday, September 24 with a broadcast premiere that night on the CBS Television Network airing at 8:30-9:30 PM, ET/PT (time approximate following NFL Football and 60 Minutes). The series premiere will also be available on-demand on CBS All Access and the second episode of the series will be available on the service that same night immediately following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter debuting in January 2018.

Canada Schedule

Space Channel will launch the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery on Sunday, September 24 at 8:30 PM ET. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, September 24 through Sunday, November 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter in January 2018. Every episode will also be available to Space subscribers on the newly launched Space GO app, in addition to being available on Space.ca and participating On Demand channels. Star Trek: Discovery will also stream exclusively in Canada on CraveTV, with full scheduling details to be released in the coming weeks.

Rest of the World Schedule

Netflix will launch Star Trek: Discovery on Monday, September 25 to countries outside of the U.S. and Canada. The first eight episodes will run from Monday, September 25 through Monday, November 6 with the second chapter in January 2018.

Star Trek: Discovery will follow the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new lifeforms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series will feature a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.
- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/star....o0lVHYHP.dpuf
Old 19-06-2017, 21:46   #150
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Gutted its in two parts. But great that it's finally confirmed a date. Wonder of there will be an other trailer or more info.