Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Possible fault?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Routerswitch off

Old 07-03-2017, 07:44   #1
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road
Routerswitch off

When I go away on holiday I tend to switch my PC off at the mains together with the printer and the router. If I set my V6 Box to record all the programmes I want while I'm away via my V6 Box, is it ok to switch the router off. I know it won't get the EPG updates but will it catch up when I re-connect it when I get back?
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2017, 09:47   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Routerswitch off

Yes, it would catch up when you get back, but if a show changes it's broadcast time or any other variation in your Series Links, the V6 box won't receive them.

Ideally you should leave your router on.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:50   #3
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Did you not trust the answer provided on the official Virgin Media forum?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ff/m-p/3357029
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:12   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I leave my router on as I have several NAS drives, TVs, Blu-Rays, games consoles etc connected to it.

Its all password protected, never had any issues.

Also turning off stops those devices getting any updates.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:58   #5
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Did you not trust the answer provided on the official Virgin Media forum?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ff/m-p/3357029

I like to get a second opinion.
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:21   #6
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I often wondered about leaving my router on when I am on holiday but always no more than two weeks. Good Information . Thanks
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:41   #7
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

I was recently away for 6weeks, and did turn my router off when we left the country...Tivo was left in standby and I used the tv-anywhere app from abroad.

However... I've got a normal tivo and it's quite surprising to me that guide updates would even use the internet connection, I thought they just used the "TV" connection.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The older TiVo boxes do use their own connection, as they have their own modem.

The V6 boxes don't - so they use the router connection.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:17   #9
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The older TiVo boxes do use their own connection, as they have their own modem.

The V6 boxes don't - so they use the router connection.
No I get that ben, but how do the older V-HD boxes get their guide updates in that case?

What I mean was, I thought the Tivo boxes got their guide updates alongside the TV signals rather than the internet connection. And so therefore the V6 should be the same - using their TV signals rather than their WiFi connection.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51   #10
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

As Ben explained, TiVo uses its own internet connection for updates. It just comes down the same piece of co-ax as the TV signal.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:16   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
No I get that ben, but how do the older V-HD boxes get their guide updates in that case?

What I mean was, I thought the Tivo boxes got their guide updates alongside the TV signals rather than the internet connection. And so therefore the V6 should be the same - using their TV signals rather than their WiFi connection.
Spiderplant could probably explain it better, but the V boxes use a different EPG method, but even they have a data connection back to VM (this allows for control of On Demand amongst other things).

The TiVo platform has always been designed to 'dial in' to a TiVo server to get EPG updates. The original TiVo boxes did this over a literal dial up connection - screechy modem and all.

The later boxes changed to be able to do this over an available broadband internet connection. As far as I know in the US this is always via an external network connection, the VM box was fairly unique in having a connection built in.

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-03-2017 at 12:24.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:20   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post

The V/V-HD/V+ boxes get their guide data from the TV broadcast. Even though they have a built-in modem, they don't use it to get guide data.

The Cisco & Samsung TiVos get the guide data through their built-in modem. The V6 gets it via the SuperHub.

It's this way mainly for historical reasons. TiVos have always got guide data through an internet connection, so it was easiest to continue that way for VM TiVos. Guide data in the broadcast is a DVB/European thing, so a bit alien to Tivo.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote