Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Routerswitch off

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Cinema Question

Old 06-03-2017, 00:57   #1
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough
Sky Cinema Question

Hi

Just wondering if anybody knows whether downloaded movies from Sky Cinema have better picture/sound quality than those on the broadcast channels? I know I could record one and download one and compare it by watching each, but as there are so many knowledgeable folks on here I wondered if anyone knew any technical details that could give a categorical answer?

Cheers
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2017, 09:44   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky Cinema Question

Nobody can really advise you on that because in both cases it depends on the equipment you are using to watch it on, viewing distances, etc. You'll have to try it yourself and see.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:12   #3
Barriescott
cf.member

Barriescott is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest I record some of the movies as virgin are very poor with the HD content and a lot of the movies on demand are in SD giving as half a service
Barriescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 19:01   #4
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Ok thanks for the advice. I was kind of hoping that on demand would have a clear and obvious technical advantage, not being subject to restrictions of broadcasting. But I guess not.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:57   #5
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

I have resorted to recording HD versions of films I fancy on Sky Cinema to watch at some point in the future as there is such a small offering for On Demand.
The quality used to be good and I would depend on it a lot.
Now if the HD version is there it is 50/50 if you get a 319 error that I have given up on it until it is back to how the service was 18 months ago.

Now having 2 1Tb boxes with 1 a TiVo and 1 a V6 I am becoming my own Sky Cinema HD storage point. Should not be needed but no end in sight with the shoddy on demand.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 14:13   #6
fredtheted
Inactive

fredtheted can only hope to improve

I think it is wishful thinking that the HD on demand feature on SkyMovies will ever revert to it's previous service of 18 months ago.
fredtheted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:38   #7
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

I've subscribed to Sky Cinema since about a year, so have no experience of how things were "before", but I've got a couple of particular gripes with the current offering.

1: I don't know how much of the archive library is HD&SD on Sky, compared with SD-only on Virgin. Their website also seems a little unclear on this point so I suspect they have the same setup as VM - HD for a certain amount of time after first-aired then SD only..but others may know for sure.. but I would like to see the proportion increase as VM's HD stuff seems pretty limited overall.

2: Error-319. I've had an open fault with VM-VOD since quite a few weeks for numerous HD-OD films giving the dreaded-error-319. Yes, I could easily record the films in question - and if I desperately want to watch a particular title I will. But not every film in the OD listing is being shown on the channels very often, and besides - it's quite clearly a problem in the VOD service that does seem to be taking months to resolve.

On that second point, at least now that VM have got this problem openly on the status page it feels like half the battle and even if the fix date keeps being put back, at least you know it's an ongoing problem. But I'm not sure whether the VOD people have a reliable way of knowing which titles are not working and therefore may need an individual fix - so it's a fortnightly or forum-based rigmarole of logging them.

That is damn frustrating.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I've subscribed to Sky Cinema since about a year, so have no experience of how things were "before", but I've got a couple of particular gripes with the current offering.

1: I don't know how much of the archive library is HD&SD on Sky, compared with SD-only on Virgin. Their website also seems a little unclear on this point so I suspect they have the same setup as VM - HD for a certain amount of time after first-aired then SD only..but others may know for sure.. but I would like to see the proportion increase as VM's HD stuff seems pretty limited overall.

2: Error-319. I've had an open fault with VM-VOD since quite a few weeks for numerous HD-OD films giving the dreaded-error-319. Yes, I could easily record the films in question - and if I desperately want to watch a particular title I will. But not every film in the OD listing is being shown on the channels very often, and besides - it's quite clearly a problem in the VOD service that does seem to be taking months to resolve.

On that second point, at least now that VM have got this problem openly on the status page it feels like half the battle and even if the fix date keeps being put back, at least you know it's an ongoing problem. But I'm not sure whether the VOD people have a reliable way of knowing which titles are not working and therefore may need an individual fix - so it's a fortnightly or forum-based rigmarole of logging them.

I think this comes back to the old problem of how VOD operates on VM's systems, particularly with HD. Most of the VOD on VM is still provided using unique broadcast streams in the TV part of the system rather than via Broadband. These streams can be unique to each network segment, but if the capacity becomes saturated then errors start popping up. HD is still transmitted mostly in MPEG2 which reduces the available capacity in the segment further.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39   #9
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
I think this comes back to the old problem of how VOD operates on VM's systems, particularly with HD. Most of the VOD on VM is still provided using unique broadcast streams in the TV part of the system rather than via Broadband. These streams can be unique to each network segment, but if the capacity becomes saturated then errors start popping up. HD is still transmitted mostly in MPEG2 which reduces the available capacity in the segment further.
It's a perfectly valid point, and I suppose the VOD people know more about the nature & cause of error-319 than us mere customers.

But in the case of Sky OD programs, my error-319s are quite evidently asset-related. I can list particular titles that consistently don't play, while others do. It can be replicated perfectly at any given time of day
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:21   #10
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:

To answer your questions

1 - On a proper Sky box at 2 of my families they have all films in SD and HD to download to their box. I have never seen 1 that was SD only and it just works. Select it starts downloading and after a few seconds typically it will let you start playing it.
18 months ago all Sky Movies films were available through VM On Demand. I even find a couple that were not and reported them through twitter and they sorted it within a day or 2 and credited me a few quid back for the hassle.
The website is not the same as HD as a web version does not exist I don't think.

2 - 319 has been there regularly since September. It is that flakey I have given up on it for now until some fix is put in place.

I received an email saying we now have access to 75 new box sets courtesy of Sky for the likes of things like Lucky Man. I would rather then got the service back to how it was before taking up more space with old stuff.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:38   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But in the case of Sky OD programs, my error-319s are quite evidently asset-related. I can list particular titles that consistently don't play, while others do. It can be replicated perfectly at any given time of day
Correct. Error 319 means the asset you have asked to watch is missing from your regional VOD server. It's only become an issue relatively recently because of a change made in the last software update. Previously the listings would also come from the local servers, so if a particular asset was missing from your region you wouldn't even know about it or be able to try to play it. But now the listings come from a central server, so assets can be listed even if they aren't yet on your region's server.

There are plans afoot to resolve it properly, but in the meantime please bear with it. Missing assets usually turn up in a day or two.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote