Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 12-01-2017, 13:38   #2626
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
For those who need a SCART to feed DVD recorders and RF modulators there's always the option of (yet another box) an HDMI to SCART convertor though so far the ones I've looked at don't seem to support the latest HDMI 2.1 standard (most are 1.3) so may fail to handle HDCP (rights protected) encoded material properly.
I imagine it will work okay but the v6 won't allow you to chose 4k setting
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2017, 13:42   #2627
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
For those who need a SCART to feed DVD recorders and RF modulators there's always the option of (yet another box) an HDMI to SCART convertor though so far the ones I've looked at don't seem to support the latest HDMI 2.1 standard (most are 1.3) so may fail to handle HDCP (rights protected) encoded material properly.
Or you could just stick with Tivo.

Point is that Tivo outputs to scart/hdmi simultaneously letting you use the HDMI for your main TV and the scart for other purposes (copying recordings to DVD, outputting to a video sender). In this respect the V6 is much less versatile - suspect there are commercial reasons behind it. Guess it depends on your set up and what you want to do. I'm glad I found about this issue before 'upgrading'.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 14:13   #2628
snips1982
Inactive

snips1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my v6 install completed. How does everyone have their video output settings selected?

Having a 4k TV, I have noticed that having 720p ticked in the settings, will have all programmes showing in 720p (I can see this by selecting 'i' on my sony TV remote.

So I have currently 2160p, 2160p pass-through, 1080p, 1080p pass-through, 1080i selected.

When playing youtube 4k videos, my TV changes to 2160p fine. When I play the BBC 4k HLR test, my TV stays in 1080i.

Should I have just 2160p set in the video output so that any 4k content that does show up will be shown correctly?
snips1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 15:30   #2629
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Or you could just stick with Tivo.

Point is that Tivo outputs to scart/hdmi simultaneously letting you use the HDMI for your main TV and the scart for other purposes (copying recordings to DVD, outputting to a video sender). In this respect the V6 is much less versatile - suspect there are commercial reasons behind it. Guess it depends on your set up and what you want to do. I'm glad I found about this issue before 'upgrading'.
Our Cisco VHD box does the same. Apparently there's a dedicated downscaling chip inside that drives the SCART socket. Only composit though, not RGB.
Old 12-01-2017, 15:45   #2630
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Our Cisco VHD box does the same. Apparently there's a dedicated downscaling chip inside that drives the SCART socket. Only composit though, not RGB.
The V-HD supports RGB. Check your video settings.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:00   #2631
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The V-HD supports RGB. Check your video settings.
Sounds like I've read some duff info. Will take a look.
Old 12-01-2017, 16:07   #2632
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes I've got a VHD box as well. It's ideal for the bedroom and powers down nicely overnight. Wouldn't want flashing lights and a hard drive whirring away when trying to sleep. If I want anything recorded I can get via the tivo/video sender from downstairs. Surprised they've stopped offering the VHD as an option.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:16   #2633
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

after getting my V6 box installed last week i thought i would check my Virgin Media today and was surprised to see some extra charges from the ones i had been quoted of £64

05 Jan Activation Fee £14.99
05 Jan Manned Installation Charg £40.00
05 Jan V6 Box Activation Fee £99.95

might have to ring them to see why
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:46   #2634
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Surprised they've stopped offering the VHD as an option.
The V box platform is basically 17 years old now, and the V HD itself is over 6 years old as a hardware design.

It was inevitable that V HD boxes would stop being sold at some point.
Old 12-01-2017, 16:55   #2635
derekh
Inactive

derekh is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably a silly question but, if I get the V6 box is there any way of transferring all the recordings I have backed up on my Tivo box but not yet watched?
derekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 17:05   #2636
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No. You can transfer series links. recording Wishlists and Thumbs but recordings themselves

Some people have opted to keep their existing TiVo which can be done for £7.50 a month whilst they clear down the recordings they want to watch. If you connect the TiVo and V6 boxes together via your home network you can stream recordings between the two
Old 12-01-2017, 17:22   #2637
derekh
Inactive

derekh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your quick response
derekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:41   #2638
Pster72
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Tivo VIP Package (Including Sky sports and Movies)
Pster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the rough

What's the procedure to get a V6 box and has any one had the fitting charge removed
Pster72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:48   #2639
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Customer Services can arrange for it to be installed.

Whether you'd get any fee reduction from the standard costs will be up to the conversation you have with Virgin Media. But there is no guarantee that you'll get any reduction - especially if you're on VIP so are already getting preferred costs for it.
Old 13-01-2017, 11:53   #2640
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

I rec'd my email from VM regarding the V6 today lol

"It’s the news you’ve been waiting for – our smallest, smartest, fastest Virgin TV V6 box is here. Yep, the future of entertainment is ready and waiting for you.

To get your hands on it, all you have to do is:

1. Click ‘I want in’ below.

2. Register or Login to My Virgin Media.

3. Click the Offers and Upgrades tab, then click on the Virgin TV V6 box, see how much it costs and boom – your box is on its way!

We’ll get in touch to let you know when it’ll arrive – because it’s brand new, it could take up to six weeks. But the sooner you order, the sooner you’ll discover exactly where your epic Virgin TV V6 box can take you. So, what are you waiting for?

All the best,
The Virgin Media team"

I've already ordered my boxes and have an installation date...better late then never I guess lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote