Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 06-01-2017, 13:53   #2566
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Let us know what you think of it mate.
I have to wait until 7th Feb for mine.
having been playing with the box for a few hours now heres my review

No 1 its Fast

when clicking the V6 box to My Shows it connects in less then 1/3rd second my old tivo took 15 secs to do the same ,On Demand is very Fast accessing sky movies too you are right to replace the old Tivo box and have nothing but praise for the V6 box , as i have a 4k tv i did access the Planet Earth 2 UHD trail to watch the 7 minutes of Planet Earth 2 as i have got 200mb it loaded well ,with recording 6 shows at once you will never run out of space i got the 1TB box installed , i have tv anywhere app installed on my mobile and like it where you can stream shows from the V6 box to my mobile which i did and was flawless and you can download certain shows to watch later , i'm glad i have upgraded just need a little more 4k content from BT or Sky to make the box pay for its self
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2017, 13:55   #2567
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Amazing how all the malcontents and doomsayers seem to proliferate at a speed faster then sound OB.
lol, if people get it installed too quickly that's something to complain about as it must be unpopular.
They must be wishing themselves back in Post Office Telecommunications days when it took six months to install a landline!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:58   #2568
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandmarkuk View Post
Unfortunately not, you like many others are probably only just finding out your AMP doesn't support HDCP 2.2 (my own Yamaha 4k AMP doesn't)
The only solution is to plug the v6 into the TV on a port which supports HDCP 2.2 and then run sound into the AMP via a optical cable.
That's how I have mine configured and it works perfectly fine

I'm using a Yamaha RX-A3030, which has HDMI 1.4 (therefore standard HDCP) and have no issues passing the V6 via the amp to a 6 year old TV. Obviously, I'm not trying to put 4k Netflix through it, but HD is fine.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:02   #2569
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I believe it's when the V6 is trying to output 4K that it becomes a problem. For HD output it'll use the older HDCP standard.
Old 06-01-2017, 14:04   #2570
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm using a Yamaha RX-A3030, which has HDMI 1.4 (therefore standard HDCP) and have no issues passing the V6 via the amp to a 6 year old TV. Obviously, I'm not trying to put 4k Netflix through it, but HD is fine.
I thought mine was fine until I tried to output Netflix in 4k and then it refused to show a picture.
1080p pictures will work fine, but as soon as you try 4k it will fail as only 2015 models of AMP's onwards support HDCP 2.2.

If you are tying to output a 4k picture via an AMP you either need one which supports HDCP 2.2 or revert to using an Optical cable for the sound.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:18   #2571
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
having been playing with the box for a few hours now heres my review

No 1 its Fast

when clicking the V6 box to My Shows it connects in less then 1/3rd second my old tivo took 15 secs to do the same ,On Demand is very Fast accessing sky movies too you are right to replace the old Tivo box and have nothing but praise for the V6 box , as i have a 4k tv i did access the Planet Earth 2 UHD trail to watch the 7 minutes of Planet Earth 2 as i have got 200mb it loaded well ,with recording 6 shows at once you will never run out of space i got the 1TB box installed , i have tv anywhere app installed on my mobile and like it where you can stream shows from the V6 box to my mobile which i did and was flawless and you can download certain shows to watch later , i'm glad i have upgraded just need a little more 4k content from BT or Sky to make the box pay for its self
Thank you for this reassurance, Rob. I'm awaiting delivery of two V6s in eager anticipation and I will report on how I find the experience as well.

How long did the install take? They say they've got it down to between 60 and 90 minutes.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:35   #2572
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandmarkuk View Post
I thought mine was fine until I tried to output Netflix in 4k and then it refused to show a picture.
1080p pictures will work fine, but as soon as you try 4k it will fail as only 2015 models of AMP's onwards support HDCP 2.2.

If you are tying to output a 4k picture via an AMP you either need one which supports HDCP 2.2 or revert to using an Optical cable for the sound.

I don't think that you mentioned that your problem was 4k only (unless I missed that bit). You are right; you need an amp that is HDCP 2.2 compliant for 4k. Paranoid content providers forced the extra layer of protection for 4k. I don't suppose equipment manufacturers were too upset about people going out to buy new kit either
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:40   #2573
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWB View Post
I have just had my new Virgin V6 box installed, but when going through my Marantz 7010 receiver it says

"This content cannot be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2" and I only get sound

If I connect the V6 box direct to the TV then it work fine. I have tried various combinations of rebooting with no success. Is there a special input or setting I need to use with my receiver
There is a bit of a work around it, as I had exactly the same problem on my V6 (using Yamaha RX-V581) saying the same message. I couldn't put up with optical out as the sync is out on certain channels so that was just ok for a temp but not a permanent solution for me.

To get around HDCP 2.2, I'm using this HDMI splitter, ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) so far it's working fine as it should be (see below). Other splitters may or may not work.

But using that splitter converts the signal to HDMI 1.3, to get around this for better future proofing and digital sound & 4K etc, a more expensive box works https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 fine.

Worth a try for those having the same problems.

Last edited by peanut; 06-01-2017 at 15:42.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:47   #2574
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I don't think that you mentioned that your problem was 4k only (unless I missed that bit). You are right; you need an amp that is HDCP 2.2 compliant for 4k. Paranoid content providers forced the extra layer of protection for 4k. I don't suppose equipment manufacturers were too upset about people going out to buy new kit either
Sorry it was because I was replying to someone who had an issue with 4k and an Marantz AMP (odd enough the spec for the model seemed to support HDCP 2.2).

How long before someone finds a way to make everything redundant due to HDMI 2.1 coming this year??? lol http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01/hdmi-2-1/
HDCP like you say is just yet more unnecessary 'features' when most people just want things to 'work'

HDCP 2.2 has already been broken anyway, simply google 'HDFury' and I'm sure anyone who wants to copy something isn't going play back the content in order to do it.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:50   #2575
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Thank you for this reassurance, Rob. I'm awaiting delivery of two V6s in eager anticipation and I will report on how I find the experience as well.

How long did the install take? They say they've got it down to between 60 and 90 minutes.
it took around 30 minutes as it was a straight swap i had router next to it lots of updates not sure why they dont update the boxes before they get installed that way it would save the installer sitting around waiting for the updates
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 15:13   #2576
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Thanks, Rob. I have 2 V6s to have installed, one replacing my existing Tivo and the other to repace my V box upstairs. I have a superhub in the room opposite the second box, so it should pretty well be a straight swap. If it takes up to an hour to get everything up and running, I shall be very happy!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:27   #2577
Ed92uk
Inactive

Ed92uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had my V6 installed - I know my bill is incorrect but I thought that can be sorted afterwards. I can't fault the installer he was polite and got the job done in about 20 mins. My issue is nothing to do with the new box my old TiVo was supposed to be moved to bedroom (new install in terms of wires to the room) and I have been charged for this. He didn't know anything about this and when phoned up they said it wasn't on the work order. I hope vm get this sorted quickly as I was already 5050 with sky, I'm not in contract and I've already received my bill with the higher cost and install charge. But at least it's Friday!

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Hi again, has anybody noticed a audio performance decrease? I have the v6 hdmi into the tv and then optical to my Sony surround. I don't think audio quality is the problem it's just the general "loudness". I'm at full volume to get my normal viewing experience. It might be my setup but everything was fine before. Anyone with any similar experience please advise. Thanks
Ed92uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:39   #2578
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed92uk View Post
has anybody noticed a audio performance decrease? I have the v6 hdmi into the tv and then optical to my Sony surround.
Try changing the Dolby setting in the V6 menus. You could also try taking the optical straight out of the back of the V6.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:59   #2579
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone tried the 1080P, 1080i and 720P output settings to see which gives the clearest picture.

I used to find that my old TIVO gave the best picture with 720P
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 13:31   #2580
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how to set up the V6 wireless as I can't see a way to do it
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote