Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 02-09-2017, 18:03   #631
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Thanks. I don't like throwing away things that for a few minutes work can be fixed. That's the way to end up at a food bank when the money runs out buying a new one.
Same here. It's not just about saving money but the pleasure you get from fixing stuff which is perfectly usable. Given all the environmental issues we're made aware of every day it puzzles me that more people don't bother to even try to fix their belongings rather than add to the huge mountain of discarded property.

My DAB radio is still working just fine and I've saved £40 as well as getting a buzz from doing something worthwhile.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02   #632
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Good morning all.....

Well the other day I got a VHS tape in the mail I ordered (AND JUSTICE FOR ALL - 1979)

The person I think rewound it with one of those crappy radioshack rewinder things WHICH ARE HORRIBLE.. (They slam the tape @ full speed when it gets rewound) - YA DONT EVER USE THAT GARBAGE!!!

The tape was off the spool so I opened the cartridge and re-attached the clear lead tape to the spool using a couple pieces of tape..... I had to put it in a different shell however as the parts in the back (1 of them) came off and it wouldnt play at all........

I took an empty one and put both spools into it.... Its not working correctly for some reason (the things in back of the spools) but thankfully its working...

This is the first 1981 columbia release of this movie and its the BEST and i didnt wanna lose it,been looking for it for along time!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 13:00   #633
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Ikea can opener. It had formed rust on the shaft the cutter wheel rotates on. PTFE spray after a clean did the trick.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:02   #634
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Ikea can opener. It had formed rust on the shaft the cutter wheel rotates on. PTFE spray after a clean did the trick.
You reminder me to have a look at our 2 trusty safety can openers as they've started playing up recently, not opening the cans cleanly and sometime not at all. I gave the moving parts a quick clean, removed some gunk and so far, so good. Just opened a can perfectly.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 16:27   #635
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I took an empty one and put both spools into it.... Its not working correctly for some reason (the things in back of the spools) but thankfully its working...
Probably the ratchets that hold the spools stationary when the cassette is not loaded in the machine. Not critical to the plot if you're not jolting it about a lot.
Old 05-11-2017, 16:36   #636
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Ya I think thats what they are....

One works but the other doesnt,im not sure what I did when I put them back in... (I tried to be careful)
Old 01-02-2018, 19:09   #637
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

My little Samsung Tocco lite mobile. Suddenly the battery indicator kept showing almost empty even after a fresh charge.

Thought of VM repair procedure #1: Reboot

Fixed it.
Old 03-02-2018, 20:06   #638
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Very nice.....

Makes us feel good being able to fix stuff ourselves
Old 04-02-2018, 13:27   #639
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Fixed the fact we have no wired network connect downstairs, buy buying some powerline adapters.

I honestly didn't think they would work.

But they did, now I get 165meg+
Old 04-02-2018, 14:23   #640
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Fixed my home network so i can map network drives.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 17:02   #641
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Fixed a Windows update issue, but had to do an in place upgrade to get it working again!
Old 21-03-2018, 12:14   #642
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I last repaired a cassette I got the other day ... It wouldnt play well,it sounded sluggish like it had gotton wet....Well first look @ the window in the cassette showed that stupid plastic sheet on both sides so I figured this was the reason......

I opened the cassette which was popped together (I easily opened it with a knife wedged in the front)

THERE WERE NO ROLLERS IN IT!!!!! -- What kind of moron put this together?? -- NO WONDER IT DIDNT PLAY WELL!!!!!!!!! (It is a 1981 album)

I just happend to have a new cassette (BLANK) that has screws so I opened it and put the tape into the new cassette and she plays fine... (DEF LEPPARD - HIGH N DRY)

Well.... The first time I played it when it got to the last song on side 1 (Bringing on the hardbreak) it was a bit sluggish and IM NOT SURE WHY.... When it played side 2 though it was fine....... On 2nd play it was fine on both sides so something must have been stuck near the end and fell out thankfully.....

Boy.... NO ROLLERS!!!!!!! -- How stupid and unresponsible to make something like this AND LET IT OUT!!!!!! (Like they didnt care that it wouldnt work well)
Old 24-03-2018, 21:36   #643
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Bosch electric fan assisted oven - problem bulbs keeps blowing - Problem was the light fitting moves up and down and heat passes through the gap and bang. Oven extracted from cabinet unit, took back and top off the oven and tighten the bulb holder down. Replaced the bulb and glass dome - SUCCESS.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 22:17   #644
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My dads laptop would not run any windows update as it wasn't running, but a quick check of services.msc said it was.

I found out that there was a possible corrupt file and I managed to fix it.

But 86 files and 1.3GB of updates took 3-1/2 hours to do :O
Old 28-03-2018, 20:17   #645
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Windows 7 was it. Well done.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote