Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 11-01-2017, 21:39   #2611
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My two new Tivo boxes were installed today. It took just over an hour and they appear to be working perfectly. The two boxes communicate with each other and I can see all recordings on both boxes from each individual box. The only thing I am disappointed about is that you cannot see the planned recordings of both boxes from each box as well!

The speed is very good and well up to the standard you would expect. Straight into the Netflix and BBC i-Player apps, and no buffering!

The V6 is a seriously good box and I would certainly recommend it from my experience of this afternoon.

The installer changed my superhub to a more appropriate model and so I've had to change the passwords for all my i-phones, tablets, the smart TV, Netflix, Amazon and Now TV, but it was worth it!

If anyone gets stumped with the pin number for access to programmes after 9pm and certain channels, VM have pre-set this as 1234. It's very easy to change this in the settings to a pin no of your choice.
If you want to manage both boxes from a single place, use the TV Anywhere app where you can see the Planned Recordings, Series Links, etc of both boxes.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2017, 21:53   #2612
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I assume the 2 V6 boxes are connected to each other?

Is this hard wired or by wifi?
Be WiFi i'd assume...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 23:38   #2613
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
thanks for that. Apart from the box being quicker, doesn't seem to be much more in it for me. I've got a 500gb Tivo that has never got above 60 percent.
Does it have all the same outputs as Tivo i.e scart & hdmi , and does it output from both simultaneously? Currently use TiVo's scart to output to a video sender which wirelessly sends to another TV.
Nope, the new one has a built in Scart socket that has been deliberately disabled via software
Old 12-01-2017, 00:55   #2614
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Nope, the new one has a built in Scart socket that has been deliberately disabled via software

Does anyone really use scart nowadays.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:12   #2615
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Maybe OhReally does, he seems quite upset about it's absence. Mind you, he seems pretty upset about most aspects of the V6; it's probably just another thing for him to bleat about.

Actually, a scart would have been useful for some; those who want to archive to DVD/HD recorders and those who use video senders.

But the content provider want copying to end, so are pushing for scart to be left off new equipment.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:19   #2616
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Maybe OhReally does, he seems quite upset about it's absence. Mind you, he seems pretty upset about most aspects of the V6; it's probably just another thing for him to bleat about.

Actually, a scart would have been useful for some; those who want to archive to DVD/HD recorders and those who use video senders.

But the content provider want copying to end, so are pushing for scart to be left off new equipment.
I don't bleat about it, I cancelled the tv service a while back. I simply try and give honest replies from what I glean on here to others.

My reply was to an earlier poster who DOES use scart.

If I REALLY wanted to copy something, I would put my hd video cam on a tripod, the microphone next to the telly and simply record it

The port is there and functional bar a software block, seems pretty pointless doesn't it?
Old 12-01-2017, 02:28   #2617
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It's the other way around based on what Spiderplant has said i.e. there was never work done to enable to socket on the hardware within the code, rather than specific work done to block it.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:59   #2618
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I simply try and give honest replies from what I glean on here to others.

Good for you. Now, if only I believed that. Strange how your replies seem to focus on (your perceived) negatives of the V6.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:34   #2619
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
No not even a old dinosaur like me.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:58   #2620
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I assume the 2 V6 boxes are connected to each other?

Is this hard wired or by wifi?
Yes, my boxes are connected by wi-fi. Quite amazing, really!

If you have two boxes installed, the connection is there for you when it is installed. The other device is shown at the bottom of the 'My Shows' menu, and when you click on that, the recordings made on your second box are displayed. Very impressive!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 12-01-2017 at 10:56.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:27   #2621
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Where is this scart socket you speak of?

Sky Q boxes no longer have scarts either.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24   #2622
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No not even a old dinosaur like me.
This old one does.Have second TV almost back to back with another with a Tivo
As I move from room to room I use the scart to send picture to the second tv.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:26   #2623
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
This old one does.Have second TV almost back to back with another with a Tivo
As I move from room to room I use the scart to send picture to the second tv.
Well each to their own old boy as its nice to see you post as its always good reading your well thought posts.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32   #2624
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well each to their own old boy as its nice to see you post as its always good reading your well thought posts.
follow the post here all the time but as I use Virgin less and less these days and have no problems with it YES I did say that, I rarely comment

But won,t be looking for V6 anytime soon
Old 12-01-2017, 11:44   #2625
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

For those who need a SCART to feed DVD recorders and RF modulators there's always the option of (yet another box) an HDMI to SCART convertor though so far the ones I've looked at don't seem to support the latest HDMI 2.1 standard (most are 1.3) so may fail to handle HDCP (rights protected) encoded material properly.