Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | High power level on one downstream channel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

I'm finished

Old 31-03-2012, 19:42   #1
doog442
Inactive

doog442 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm finished

Currently have 30mb broadband, M+ TV and XL phone...package price was £65 but the total price was usually £80 -£90 with phone calls despite having most of the so called savers.

My main issue was the broadband. The superhub will not reach anything further than about a 15 foot radius and cuts out completely a couple of times a day. With 3 teenagers in a big house its mental. I have tried everything but to be honest its not just the internet that goes down the TV does as well.

The cabinet down the bottom of the road is often open, revealing a spaghetti junction of wires...quite interesting looking at your connection with the label around it. I phone India to get it closed but it rarely happens. It all looks sad and neglected. When we see the Virgin van at the cabinet we know that our connection will go down...and it usually does. This has been going on for 11 years.

I am binning the TV completely and going with freeview and have signed up to BT infinity who have a sparkly new cabinet around the corner . I also hope their phone will be cheaper (I know it will )

When I rang up Virgin to cancel, they couldnt reduce my £65 package but offered not to put the price up - how kind. They also argued that BT infinity wasnt in my area - doh!

All in all its been pretty crap..11 years of frustration really, in that time I have probably rang India 100 times.

I dont post often so no one will miss me
doog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2012, 20:02   #2
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: I'm finished

Good luck. I'll be following you to Infinity as soon as I can.

I never had VM TV - just Freesat and never used their phone to make calls - always used VOIP - I only had the line to get a free install and a cashback deal then cancelled it.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 20:29   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Good luck. I'll be following you to Infinity as soon as I can.
me too, althought I need to do some investigating first. My local exchange has been enabled but apparently my house still cant get Infinity. I need to find out what is going on.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 20:48   #4
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
me too, althought I need to do some investigating first. My local exchange has been enabled but apparently my house still cant get Infinity. I need to find out what is going on.
I've been watching the fibre teams around Lincoln with some interest. They're running into some major problems with the old ducting. In places it's blocked or even collapsed. Perhaps the delay is related to digging work required?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 22:05   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

i hope so. I havent rang BT yet to see what is going on but I hope I'll be able to get it eventually
Old 31-03-2012, 22:14   #6
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
VM need to get there act together over there BB. BT are catching up fast.

The superhub hasn't really helped, maybe they should of stuck with just doing a modem and sourcing a router.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 23:35   #7
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

To my mind they went into a flat panic and started selling products which their network can't deliver in many areas. Cable can provide high headline speeds but really can't deliver on high bandwidth too. Selling 100Mbps unlimited was where they went wrong IMO.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:27   #8
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

yeah they dire on phone value, I just sent a complaint to ofcom after discovering they treat 0845 the same as 0870 and actually worse than 0870.

kwikbreaks any VOIP guide handy anywhere? will look into it for myself.

to me VM have always had this problem of overselling, I had ntl at my old address between about 2003-2007 era and it was even worse than it is now, and back then the premium speed was only 10mbit when I moved out. To my understanding between when ntl was renamed to VM and when they released the superhub (and started using protocol shaping also) around oct 2010 things were improving but then they seemed to have made a decision since that date to go back to how they used to be just a massive push for sales without capacity investment (unless initially on speed uplifts). Loads of policies which make no sense like applying STM to lower speed saying its needed to manage the network but then having no STM on the higher tiers. Having a tight download STM and a loose upload STM when the bulk of congestion is on the upstream. Using the superhub for business when its clear its a failure as a unit. Its as if once process gets decided they stick rigidly to it no matter what.

Infinity due here sept 2012 and I will be ordering it the first day its available barring a disaster to stop me and unless that has its own issues (granted its very possible) then VM will be cancelled soon after.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29   #9
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
kwikbreaks any VOIP guide handy anywhere? will look into it for myself.
Your question prompted me to produce a brief blog page about VM call charging. I'll PM the gist of what I did and currently do for landline calls to avoid accusations of off-topic or spamming.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
To my understanding between when ntl was renamed to VM and when they released the superhub (and started using protocol shaping also) around oct 2010 things were improving but then they seemed to have made a decision since that date to go back to how they used to be just a massive push for sales without capacity investment (unless initially on speed uplifts). Loads of policies which make no sense like applying STM to lower speed saying its needed to manage the network but then having no STM on the higher tiers. Having a tight download STM and a loose upload STM when the bulk of congestion is on the upstream. Using the superhub for business when its clear its a failure as a unit. Its as if once process gets decided they stick rigidly to it no matter what
All excellent points and common sense on what/what not to do. It just goes to prove that VM obviously dont care which is very sad.
Old 16-04-2012, 15:55   #11
doog442
Inactive

Just a quick update. Retentions rang me and offered me a Tivo box instead of my clunky V+ box and said they would replace the superhub. I declined, I had made my mind up.

The internet has been up and down like a fiddlers elbow since my OP, last Friday nil internet for a large portion of the day they did some tests and the power reading from the box was ten times what it should be (this problem has been historical).

I have just had BT Infinity installed today, I am getting 37 mb download speed 1.85mb upload. Perfect wireless reception in all corners of the house (big old house) - something the superhub never achieved.

I am 1800 metres from the main exchange but about 200 metres from the new BT cabinet.

It all seems very stable so after 12 years its goodbye Virgin (for the next 18 months at least). If I have any problems however I will pop back and post, it will be interesting to see how things pan out with BT.
Old 16-04-2012, 16:37   #12
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

set up a ping monitor and glorify your new connection. are you on the unlimited* option and new speed upgrade? they say theres a line settle period.. hope your speeds increase.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 17:19   #13
doog442
Inactive

Nothing really to glorify about im afraid. Im on the 40mb package with a 40gb usage allowance, £9 for 3 months then £18. Rather strangely, looking back on the official site, that 40gb package has been changed to 38mb download speed.

My lad is home from Uni and has said that the 40gb usage wont be enough for him, so I guess I will be monitoring it closely.
Old 16-04-2012, 17:26   #14
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you probably have. low pings, latency close to minimum etc. etc.

no it probably wont be enough. they normally email you or some form of alert pops up within your online account when you near the max allowance. youve got the usage meter you can monitor too. is it 5£ extra for each GB you go over?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 18:32   #15
doog442
Inactive

latency avg was 25ms. (struggling with what this means but I did it via cmd prompt so no idea if its good or bad)

Both daughters on their laptops, me on the PC and my lad on his PC and his PS3 and for the first time in years no moaning....yet.(touch wood)