Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Congratulations...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Congratulations...

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52   #1
Jacktherat
Inactive

Jacktherat is on a distinguished roadJacktherat is on a distinguished road
Congratulations...

............you have won a free holiday in Florida.

Is there any way to stop these automated nuisance calls?

I immediately hang up when I hear the first "congratulations" but they sometimes tie up my line for up to 5 minutes and they are always 'number withheld'.
Jacktherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Congratulations.............

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/...7/nuisance.pdf

Currently I'm getting the recorded Debt managment calls, pressing a number on the keypad a lot of times gets you through to a real person, from there I got a company name of "Pure Debt Solutions" so will be contacting ofcom with a complaint about these people
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27   #3
Jacktherat
Inactive

It's always a temptation to respond to the "dial 9 NOW" mantra but the fear I have is that it will lock me in to an expensive minimum cost call.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Always wanted to know the answer to this but surely by pressing 9 they can not reverse the charges or charge you for recieving the call???
Old 12-08-2010, 11:53   #5
Jacktherat
Inactive

I'm sure when I first subscribed to Telewest, there was a paid for option for number withheld calls to be blocked. I might try that.

I'm subscribed to the Telephone Preference thingummy but the unsolicited cold calls I get are invariably number withheld and when I do interrrupt the caller with this information, they immediately hang up.
It's amazing the amount of competitions I seem to win for home improvements too.

Gimme the cash.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:51   #6
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

The Telephone Preference Service seems to work quite well for UK calls, but there's an increasing number of overseas cold calls - "number unavailable".
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:56   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

The debt management place which calls us is based I believe in Wales... Does that count as abroad??
Old 12-08-2010, 13:08   #8
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Sounds foreign enough to me. I once took my daughter and her friend to another country - Cardiff and the Bit Pit mine. Good times.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 13:36   #9
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The debt management place which calls us is based I believe in Wales... Does that count as abroad??
Go get 'em! They will be in deep doo doo for those type of calls for sure.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 13:45   #10
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktherat View Post
I'm sure when I first subscribed to Telewest, there was a paid for option for number withheld calls to be blocked. I might try that.
It's called 'anonymouse caller reject' and it's £2.50,
Quite good value as the same service is over £4 with BT. But it doesn't stop these 'Congratulaitons..' type of calls, as most of them spoof the caller ID.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 17:33   #11
Jacktherat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
It's called 'anonymouse caller reject' and it's £2.50,
Quite good value as the same service is over £4 with BT. But it doesn't stop these 'Congratulaitons..' type of calls, as most of them spoof the caller ID.
Noted, thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 19:52   #12
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

I've lost count of how many holidays I have won ... loads and loads.

Blinking people!!

I hear a foreign voice and hang up now (sorry for any genuine foreign voices)
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 00:25   #13
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

i get lots of people ringing up on mine asking for so many different people i keep telling them they got the wrong number and people still keep ringing
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 22:57   #14
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

try this
Quote:
The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Quote:
Recorded messages - your permission is needed!
If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing voice recorded messages down your telephone line, and you have not given prior consent to receive such messages, you can ask the marketer to stop sending these.

They are legally obliged to act upon your request.

However if you are still receiving such calls (or it is not possible to ask the company to stop sending these types of messages) you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). They are the government body responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Please note complaints about text messages and automated voice recordings are covered by new regulations overseen by the ICO. For more information please see their website www.ico.gov.uk or phone helpline on 01625 545745
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 23:17   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe View Post
i get lots of people ringing up on mine asking for so many different people i keep telling them they got the wrong number and people still keep ringing
If that continues to happen then ring up your provider to complain and if necessary change your number, have you had the number long.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote