Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is the BBC website down?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is the BBC website down?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:31   #106
Gawdluvvaduck
Inactive

Gawdluvvaduck is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is the BBC website down?

I have just entered the above settings from Hugh into IE browser and my BBC page has returned. It has also come back on Firefox and I did not make any changes to that.
Gawdluvvaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2011, 07:34   #107
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawdluvvaduck View Post
I have just entered the above settings from Hugh into IE browser and my BBC page has returned.
That is what a proxy is designed to do.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:34   #108
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawdluvvaduck View Post
I have just entered the above settings from Hugh into IE browser and my BBC page has returned. It has also come back on Firefox and I did not make any changes to that.
Firefox uses the system default proxy settings taken from internet explorer.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38   #109
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Firefox uses the system default proxy settings taken from internet explorer.
You can put the settings into Firefox as per my instructions earlier in the thread.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:37   #110
ricksavery
Inactive

ricksavery is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be a complete **** about this. I, too, have been experiencing the BBC site (and the National Lottery site, if it's of any interest) being unavailable. All other sites seem OK.
Followed your advice re: proxys, but my browser (Internet Explorer) then fails to connect to anything - as does email, but that shares info with IE I believe.
I am trying this on a laptop with a wireless connection. I assume I the idiot, as it seems to work for the other posters. Any ideas / advice?
Ta
Rick

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

I have just entered the proxy settings you gave onto my other PC, which has a wired connection, and the BBC site works fine. Thank you very much. Still have no idea why it won't work on the wireless laptop - my ignorance presumably. Would appreciate any advice
ricksavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:40   #111
hemelvirgin
Inactive

Services: tivo & V+HD stb's. BB XL 60 MB ,Tv M+ & VM phone unlimited & VM blackberry contract
hemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: Is the BBC website down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelvirgin View Post
hi,

final straw !
i have been using a web based traing site www.activ-training.co.uk/training over the last week which has cost me nearly £200,now today getting dns errors.
RANG 150 told them bbc & url above not working.
had to enter webcache.virginmediacom & port 8080 into my ie connection settings under the LAN tab.

ALL OK NOW...............

the end
hi,

un-ticked prox server(webcache) just to see if i could connect to bbc.co.uk.
IT WORKS......will remove proxy server from all my machines now.
hemelvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:45   #112
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Glad it's worked out for you.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:51   #113
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelvirgin View Post
hi,

un-ticked prox server(webcache) just to see if i could connect to bbc.co.uk.
IT WORKS......will remove proxy server from all my machines now.
I would just remove the tick in case it happens again, nice one.
Old 07-02-2011, 17:59   #114
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

try thid website

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

it has helped me a lot.