Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Initail phone battery charge.

Old 20-01-2015, 20:51   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Initail phone battery charge.

Just got my new Note 4 and I was wondering how long I should initially charge the battery for. Some websites say 16+ hours, some say as soon as it reaches 100%, that's enough, the 'user manual' doesn't say.

Your thoughts please.

Ta.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2015, 20:56   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Initail phone battery charge.

I thought it couldn't charge above 100%. That said, always run the battery down till the phone turns itself off then fully charge back to 100% for a good few times to start with and don't top up the charge for a while.
Old 20-01-2015, 21:05   #3
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I thought it couldn't charge above 100%. That said, always run the battery down till the phone turns itself off then fully charge back to 100% for a good few times to start with and don't top up the charge for a while.
Apparently, it continues to 'trickle' charge after 100% but that might be out-dated, thanks Peanut. x
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 22:58   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
That said, always run the battery down till the phone turns itself off then fully charge back to 100% for a good few times to start with and don't top up the charge for a while.
Never do this, it is bad for the battery and causes excessive wear.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
Apparently, it continues to 'trickle' charge after 100% but that might be out-dated, thanks Peanut. x
Doing anything other than a normal charge when you first use it is outdated, but all phones do 'trickle' or 'top-up' charge when the battery is full, only to keep it full.

Leaving it plugged in for long periods of time isn't the best thing in the world, but the 'best' option is so ridiculously laborious that it's not worth it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:08   #5
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Personally I charge to 100% run until about 40% then charge to 100% and use normally.
Regardless of my battery life I always charge overnight and in the 2 years I have had my s4 I have noticed no determination in the life or longevity of the battery.
Don't charge via USB as the amperage is to low to charge the battery within any amount of time, 2A at home and I use a 4A car charger.
Obviously this is my preference be it right or wrong.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:29   #6
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Personally I charge to 100% run until about 40% then charge to 100% and use normally.
Regardless of my battery life I always charge overnight and in the 2 years I have had my s4 I have noticed no determination in the life or longevity of the battery.
Don't charge via USB as the amperage is to low to charge the battery within any amount of time, 2A at home and I use a 4A car charger.
I agree I wouldn't use a Samsung charger either, I use my kindle's plug usb charger which works a lot better. Been so many probs with Samsung chargers not charging to 100% or too slow to charge.

As for depleting the battery, maybe that's an IOS thing as that's what I've been told. And only do it on initial charge and obviously not recommended to be done often. But it does calibrate the battery gauge on IOS which is recommended to be done every few months. Still if that's wrong, then I'm happy to be corrected, seems everyone says something different unfortunately. But qasdfdsaq cheers for the heads up.
Old 21-01-2015, 11:54   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I always thought the full discharge / charge cycle advice was a hangover from older battery technology i.e. Ni-Cd batteries, rather than the Li-ion used today.

Same reason I thought as to why phones originally came uncharged with the advice to charge for 12 - 16 hours before first use, whereas now you normally have a reasonable charge out of the box.
Old 21-01-2015, 12:00   #8
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I always thought the full discharge / charge cycle advice was a hangover from older battery technology i.e. Ni-Cd batteries, rather than the Li-ion used today.

Same reason I thought as to why phones originally came with uncharged with the advice to charge for 12 - 16 hours before first use, whereas now you normally have a reasonable charge out of the box.
Yea the full charge/discharge is a throwback to Ni-Cd batteries and it can harm newer lithium batteries.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 12:19   #9
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Heat is the main killer as well, far better for a laptop to that is always on the mains to remove the battery.

AS mentioned above modern Li-Ion batteries don't suffer from the memory issues the older Ni-Cd do.

Even that only helps a bit as the Li-Ion batteries start to degrade as soon as they are manufactured. As they have a 'shelf life'.

J
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 15:22   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That is indeed correct. Li-ion chemistry doesn't benefit from full cycles and instead suffers excessive wear.

Quote:
Same reason I thought as to why phones originally came uncharged with the advice to charge for 12 - 16 hours before first use, whereas now you normally have a reasonable charge out of the box.
Sorta. Most phones and batteries have always come partially charged. A partial charge of around 40% is the generally accepted optimal state in which to store a rechargeable battery of any type. Only, battery technology has gotten better, reducing internal self-discharge, and distribution networks have gotten faster, so a battery that left the factory at 40% charge has more of it left by the time it gets into your hands.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
As for depleting the battery, maybe that's an IOS thing as that's what I've been told. And only do it on initial charge and obviously not recommended to be done often. But it does calibrate the battery gauge on IOS which is recommended to be done every few months. Still if that's wrong, then I'm happy to be corrected, seems everyone says something different unfortunately. But qasdfdsaq cheers for the heads up.
Indeed, the 'recommendation' to do a full discharge on iOS is to 'recalibrate' the battery gauge/meter/monitoring circuitry. It does not apply to all platforms, partly because on phones with removable batteries, the calibration circuitry is built into the battery, not the phone.

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Quote:
Yea the full charge/discharge is a throwback to Ni-Cd batteries and it can harm newer lithium batteries.
Indeed, this is correct too.

I should add, doing an 'operational discharge' - running your phone until it's empty - just wears the battery down without much damage, as long as you charge it reasonably soon after.

Doing a 'full discharge', as in to continue draining it even after your phone dies (e.g. with a battery-discharger, resistor, etc.) can do damage. Draining Li-ion batteries below a certain voltage per cell will permanent physical damage but most batteries have self-protection circuitry that will disconnect the cells at a safe level to stop you from doing this.

However if you drain it until said cut-off, and then don't charge it for some time, internal self-discharge can cause the voltages to drop even further, beyond the safe limit imposed by the circuitry. That's really bad for the battery.
Old 26-01-2015, 13:10   #11
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Charge it to 100%, that's it. 16+ hours referred to older NiCad/NiMH battery chemistries.

Lithium type batteries should be stored at 40%, lead acid at 100%. Batteries like NiCad and NiMH don't care.

Lithium should never be taken below 3.0v, phones will cut off before this point. 0% is considered just above the batteries lowest voltage limit. You should charge it as soon as possible after it turns itself off to prevent damage.

You should occasionally run it down until it turns off to recalibrate the battery meter inside the battery. Once every 1-3 months is plenty, just charge it immediately after.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 13:28   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Personally, I use a Sony clock radio with iPhone dock for my phone (this is mainly because it has nice speakers that I can use to watch videos in bed though). I use this for any other USB device that needs charging. I've only been using it since the beginning of the year, so can't comment on the long term advantages/disadvantages of it, but it can charge up to six devices at once, even tablets, at full speed. I'd be careful of using it on a multiplug adapter though. If you have a few USB devices plugged in it will supply up to 2.4 amps per USB socket. If you have six, it will supply up to 2 amps per socket. It does charge my iPad noticeably faster than the official charger.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 13:31   #13
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

The phone will only charge at the max rate that it wants anyway. You could give it 10A and it wouldn't charge any quicker than a 2A charger as it just won't accept the power.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 18:04   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'd be careful of using it on a multiplug adapter though. If you have a few USB devices plugged in it will supply up to 2.4 amps per USB socket. If you have six, it will supply up to 2 amps per socket. It does charge my iPad noticeably faster than the official charger.
Should be no issue at all on a multiplug.

2.4 amps times six sockets at 5v is still less than 0.5 amps going through the multiplug.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:21   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought one of these, it can charge six tablets at once. It detects what is required by the device and won't supply more than required.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PK1MAD...=anker+charger

Not timed if its quicker that the supplied chargers.

I normally charge until full then recharge as required depending on what if doing or where im going.