Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:43   #2791
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Currently the EU can impose new rules WITHOUT the involvement of the national parliaments. That is one of the distinctions between EU regulations and directives.

Recent news story.
Quote:
The EU's top court has rejected a challenge by Hungary and Slovakia to a migrant relocation deal drawn up at the height of the crisis in 2015.
The European Court of Justice overruled their objections to the compulsory fixed-quota scheme.

The issue was decided by a majority vote - a system only usually used on issues that do not affect national sovereignty.
Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Romania voted against.
Hungary's Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto was furious, calling it "appalling and irresponsible". He vowed to use all legal means against the judgement, which he said was "the result of a political decision not the result of a legal or expert decision".
"Politics has raped European law and European values. This decision practically and openly legitimates the power of the EU above the member states," he said.
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2017, 11:43   #2792
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i wish the remoans would bring out a new record something no so repetitive would be nice .
I notice the way you constantly reply to well articulated and informative posts with dismissive empty ridicule. Why bother
Old 07-09-2017, 11:58   #2793
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I notice the way you constantly reply to well articulated and informative posts with dismissive empty ridicule. Why bother
thanks it's nice to be noticed
Old 07-09-2017, 12:02   #2794
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
12,000 EU regulations imposed without the involvement of the UK Parliament. That is not trivial.

It is totally irrelevant what they are and even if 100% of the UK population agrees with something. The point is that if 100% of the UK population disagreed with something, then nothing could be done.
Most of those relate to things like environmental policies, harmonisation of standards, operation of shared regulatory bodies, etc, and make for a functional internal market. Without a number of things being harmonised the internal / single market can't work, and without other things being in place the four freedoms couldn't work.

The EU can't produce regulations on anything member states haven't agreed to delegate competency on. A number of regulations don't apply to the UK as we have opt-outs in those areas.

Those that are imposed were done so with the agreement of the UK Parliament when it agreed to delegate the competency and again when it didn't legislate to reverse them; many would've had the agreement of the UK's representative in the Council of Ministers, the UK's Commissioner would've been involved with the creation of the regulation and the UK's MEPs would've voted on it.

The UK was never under any obligation to obey them and could always have rejected them. It would've carried consequences but Parliament was always able to pass Acts to overrule anything from the EU.

Quote:
These developments do not fundamentally undermine the principle of parliamentary sovereignty, since, in theory at least, Parliament could repeal any of the laws implementing these changes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/w...s.html?mcubz=3

Shall we leave the UN? It's impinging on our sovereignty?

The WTO might rule against us and will definitely forbid us from enacting certain policies. We will trade according to their rules not our own, again impinging on our sovereignty.

Any bilateral trade agreement of any depth will require binding dispute resolution mechanisms that will overrule Parliament.

The UK's representatives at least had votes, if not veto power, over many regulations. The Repeal Bill as it stands leaves no scrutiny at any level outside of the executive, no votes at any level for implementation.

Flipping it the other way around if people were upset with directives being able to bypass Parliament and wanted their sovereignty back it seems strange they'd be fine with a Minister being able to bypass Parliament not just on anything the EU did but anything they, at their sole discretion, feel is necessary for Brexit.

From my POV this feels more like HMG saying: 'You thought the EU was anti-democratic watch this!'.

It's simply not necessary for it to be done in this form. There are 18 months to get this done, there's absolutely no need for such a rush, it should be done properly to ensure we don't spend years afterwards fixing mistakes.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Quote:
His vote is worth the same as yours. Isn't democracy great?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:03   #2795
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Yep we all know Brexit is happening but personally l welcome Ignitionnet well thought out articulated posts as nowt much of that seems to be coming from our elected politicians currently or from some on here.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:10   #2796
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
thanks it's nice to be noticed
Well, you notice when you step in something, but it's not nice...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:52   #2797
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yep we all know Brexit is happening but personally l welcome Ignitionnet well thought out articulated posts as nowt much of that seems to be coming from our elected politicians currently or from some on here.
Have to get my thoughts in before speaking out against HMG's strategy for Brexit is criminalised.

Only half-joking.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

Game over for people like me, and pre-referendum Dan Hannan and others, as EEA/EFTA membership is ruled out.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/david-...-brexit-2017-9
Old 07-09-2017, 13:49   #2798
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Blair signed the Treaty of Rome having promised that there'd be a referendum on it but reneged on that promise
Never realised Tony Blair was about in 1957. Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:01   #2799
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
Never realised Tony Blair was about in 1957. Learn something new everyday.
He wasn't as I'm sure you know.

It was the Lisbon treaty I was referring to. Blair signed the UK up to the new European Constitution which then culminated in the Lisbon Treaty actually signed by Brown after Blair's resignation. The end result, so far as the UK's sovereignty is concerned, was the same and it's hardly surprising that having been deprived of one promised referendum then, those of us who want to leave the EU might be just a bit sensitive about the same politicians trying to undo the vote we were finally allowed to have.

Last edited by Osem; 07-09-2017 at 14:15.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:10   #2800
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
He wasn't as I'm sure you know.
Was it a different Blair then
Old 07-09-2017, 14:27   #2801
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
Was it a different Blair then
No. it was the same duplicitous Blair as always was sadly. He's still at it now, doing his best to derail Brexit. For someone who came to power on the basis of listening to ordinary people, he only hears the voices which support his own views. He's not alone in that amongst politicians of course but he is one of the most hated people in the UK for good reason and his IMHO his handing of the UK's EU membership is one of the biggest reasons for that.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:39   #2802
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well I've read all the 'well-articulated and informative posts' and all I've witnessed is the endless remoaning death throes of the vanquished losers.

But, well, I still don't give a bugger. We are leaving and anyone who wants to live within the EU, can always emigrate. In fact, please, just go and leave us to wallow in our future success.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:48   #2803
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Well I've read all the 'well-articulated and informative posts' and all I've witnessed is the endless remoaning death throes of the vanquished losers.

But, well, I still don't give a bugger. We are leaving and anyone who wants to live within the EU, can always emigrate. In fact, please, just go and leave us to wallow in our future success.
You clearly haven't read them.
Old 07-09-2017, 14:56   #2804
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
You clearly haven't read them.
Strictly speaking you're absolutely right. There are posts I know will be full of repetitious, it's-all-been-said-before, look-at-me-I'm-clever tripe, and I do skim through those .
Old 07-09-2017, 14:58   #2805
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

now that's a 'well-articulated and informative post' and your right about the endless remoaning death throes of the vanquished losers.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:
Strictly speaking you're absolutely right. There are posts I know will be full of repetitious, it's-all-been-said-before, look-at-me-I'm-clever tripe, and I do skim through those .