Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

Old 10-05-2012, 12:18   #16
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Free "upgrade" 20mb to 60mb, wish I hadn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Happened in my area last week, can't say if it's everywhere but makes sense to do that
so they not going to scrap docsis1 now then?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35   #17
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I thought TV and BB were totally separate anyway. Are you saying that some of the TV stuff gets delivered over the same channels that get used for BB?
I thaught they were the same, otherwise what was the point on the TiVo ever being on docsis3 with its higher signal quality requirement

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

All stbs use docsis 1 so it was never going to get 'Scrapped' for a long time
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:16   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

TiVo is basically IPTV.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:30   #19
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
TiVo is basically IPTV.
Jesus - they just add to the joy don't they? I thought all the TV was just delivered as broadcast with a bit of automatic recording. No wonder the network is shot and there was me looking up and down the street for a friggin jolly roger and a bloke with a wooden leg. So it's probably just couch potatoes naffing it all up then?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:58   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

OK, well it's not that extreme.

It's delivered over different channels and protocols than the broadband service. Only the "on demand" stuff uses additional data.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:09   #21
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
TiVo is basically IPTV.
Not really.

The TV service is the same as every other box VM uses. It takes no bandwidth away from other uses because it just receives the channels broadcast to every cabled home.

The on demand stuff though IS different. Instead of relying on the headend to host the content then broadcast it like normal CATV to individual users (which was really seamlessly done and amazingly effective), it connects to a server using the built-in cablemodem and streams the video. iPlayer, youtube etc all use this method, as do the EPG updates. I dont know if VM still use the old on demand methods with Tivo for things like live events or on demand movies.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 22:41   #22
garmcqui
Inactive

garmcqui is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
TiVo is moving from docsis3 to docsis 1 so hopefully that can sort issues like this out
jb66 - is it just TIVO that's moving to docsis 1, or will my V+ box etc do the same too? Is there any way to find out from the box's settings?
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57   #23
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Not really.

The TV service is the same as every other box VM uses. It takes no bandwidth away from other uses because it just receives the channels broadcast to every cabled home.

The on demand stuff though IS different. Instead of relying on the headend to host the content then broadcast it like normal CATV to individual users (which was really seamlessly done and amazingly effective), it connects to a server using the built-in cablemodem and streams the video. iPlayer, youtube etc all use this method, as do the EPG updates. I dont know if VM still use the old on demand methods with Tivo for things like live events or on demand movies.
yeah why would iptv be better than the old method? I assume they have a reason.

Although I do know on demand on my box is dodgy (not tivo) I often get errors so I guess is issues on the old method when heavy customer density?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04   #24
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmcqui View Post
jb66 - is it just TIVO that's moving to docsis 1, or will my V+ box etc do the same too? Is there any way to find out from the box's settings?
V+ and all other boxes use docsis1 so no change, it was just TiVo that was on docsis3
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote