Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving Tivo box...to the shed! Cable lengtheing query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

2nd cable line use

Old 02-07-2012, 13:50   #1
HarveyS
Inactive

HarveyS is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd cable line use

Hi all,

I have searched for answers and found a few similar situations and found some answers.

Basically we have just changed from old virgin tv service to new tivo. We previously had box upstairs and now have it downstairs. The upstairs TV now has no signal at all (normal aerial seems to not be working).

So basically i want to somehow get some basic TV to the upstairs. I originally thought maybe a freesat box connected to the virgin line would work but ruled that out when found something on here. Also saw something about some TV's work for basic analogue if connected to the virgin cable but that doesnt work on this TV .

So just wondering what options i have? Can i buy an old virgin box off ebay (unfortunately the engineer took our old one) and plug it in, but presuambly the card with it (if even get one) will be linked to the previous address so be no good.

So i think my only real options are to a) find out how much virgin will charge to supply and allow a second box?

or b) splice into the external conventional aerial that feeds our downstairs tv.

Many thanks;

Harvey
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2012, 14:08   #2
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: 2nd cable line use

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
So just wondering what options i have? Can i buy an old virgin box off ebay (unfortunately the engineer took our old one) and plug it in, but presuambly the card with it (if even get one) will be linked to the previous address so be no good.
No, you can't buy a box off eBay as they're property of VM and wouldn't work anyway.

Personally I'd be phoning VM back up and complaining that the engineer took your old box away instead of relocating it upstairs.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:12   #3
HarveyS
Inactive

Thanks, i did think this was the case.

The box was already upstairs. I was hoping he wouldnt ask for it and id try get away leaving it plugged in, but believed the boxes are always owned by VM so i couldnt really say no when he asked for it! (although im sure it will now just go in the bin!)

On a side note, does anyone know what sort of money having a second box costs per month? For say a normal HD box not Tivo. I think standalone its only £10 ish a month (for small 75 channel one) so hoping it would be quite cheap?
Old 02-07-2012, 15:29   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Second box charge (for V HD) is £6.50 per month.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 16:37   #5
HarveyS
Inactive

Thanks Robbo.

What i have just realized, me being stupid! Is that of course analogue signal has now been switched off in our area so this will be why the aerial seems to have stopped working! (have had virgin on the upstairs for years and the downstairs has built in freeview) so hadn't noticed it going off i guess!

So i will see if i can dig out a freeview box for now should at least be watchable!
Old 03-07-2012, 00:56   #6
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

If you're on one of the top two 'collections' packages you should have had a VHD box as well as the TiVo
http://my.virginmedia.com/customer-n...llections.html

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
No, you can't buy a box off eBay as they're property of VM and wouldn't work anyway.

Personally I'd be phoning VM back up and complaining that the engineer took your old box away instead of relocating it upstairs.
Complaining the engineer did what he was supposed to do....
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:22   #8
benpire
Inactive

Services: Tivo 1TB Samsung V+ 100MB Talk Unltd. Movies+Sports+HD
benpire is an unknown quantity at this point

when you receive a STB from an engineer, the serial number gets unassigned from the tech and assigned to you. at the same time the serial number of the box you have migrated from gets assigned to the tech. Reverse logistics is very important to VM
benpire is offline   Reply With Quote