Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dyson cleaner & generic tools

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Parents back pre-watershed junk food advertising ban
View Poll Results: Should we ban pre-watershed junk food advertising
Yes 14 73.68%
No 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 11:57   #1
geminian68
Inactive

Services: VM: V.I.P, 50mb.
geminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of light
Parents back pre-watershed junk food advertising ban

Quote:
Many parents would like to see a ban on the advertising of unhealthy foods and sugary snacks before the 2100 watershed, a survey suggests.

The poll of more than 1,000 parents found more than half thought adverts for junk food made it harder for them to give their children healthy diets.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17271780
geminian68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Parents back pre-watershed junk food advertising ban

We can't expect parents to have to say no to their children can we?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminian68 View Post
The only problem with that idea is that the 9pm watershed only happens on free to air tv ,ppv is 8pm
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
We can't expect parents to have to say no to their children can we?
Probably what is going to be the most realistic post in this thread
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:46   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Why the hell should parents have to deal with deliberate targeting of their children?There are all sorts of rules around advertising and I can't see how it can hurt to cut out ads deliberately aimed at children during children's programming.They have plenty of other places and times to advertise.Some make it sound as if parents deserve to be pestered.

Better still I reckon parents should allow their sprogs only watch the BBC children's channels/shows.It's what I did.Then maybe if enough parents do that the rest of the commercial TV industry may decide unilaterally to cut out targeted ads for children.Though in my experience no one in business does anything that altruistic unless forced to by law.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:50   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Yet if the parents said no then the children would give up asking, the advertisers would stop targeting and the problem wouldn't be as big of an issue.

My parents gave me home cooked meals 7 days a week even though both worked, fast food was a treat for when we went out somewhere special. These days though a lot of parents see it as an alternative to preparing meals which is one of the major issues..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:56   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Yet if the parents said no then the children would give up asking, the advertisers would stop targeting and the problem wouldn't be as big of an issue.

My parents gave me home cooked meals 7 days a week even though both worked, fast food was a treat for when we went out somewhere special. These days though a lot of parent s see it as an alternative to preparing meals..
My mother did the same.However she was a stay at home housewife.When she had to work I became the cook.

No one is saying that there should be no ads,just that they should be responsible and ethical..And as a parent I have have said no..and no and no and no and no...................It would have been nice to have had children's TV free from such ads when mine were small.There is plenty of ad time in the day for advertising the rubbish food and toys.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:59   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Next I suppose people will be wanting plain packaging, and products hidden from view in shops, or better still, why not ban kids from shops altogether.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:03   #9
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Next I suppose people will be wanting plain packaging, and products hidden from view in shops, or better still, why not ban kids from shops altogether.
The last sounds good to me...I would be spared the noise of all those kids pestering their parents incessantly.

Plus as we now have cigarettes and tobacco hidden away in supermarkets with suggestions of plain packaging for the future on tobacco products maybe the former isn't such a daft suggestion.
Old 13-03-2012, 17:48   #10
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminian68 View Post
No! Because everyone has a choice of what to eat!

1. If the child gets regular excercise and a balanced diet then a bit of junk is ok. A bit of everything is good for you.

2. It is up to the parents to choose to let children purchase the products being advertised.

3. TV subscription costs will go up and the TV licence will be spread to other channels such as ITV1

Therefore there should be a free advertising policy and that includes product placement.

And lastly it is bad for the economy and bad for business, advertising is what makes the business world go round! Especially in retail.

Now my comments are based on advertisements in general not at how irritating or how annoying particular characters or slogans used in the advertisements are.

I also think the ban on Tobacco advertising should be dropped, it is silly! People are still gonna smoke, it doesn't do anything to reduce people smoking. The amount of money TV broadcasters are losing because of this is high and everything is getting very restricted and censored.

Like I said, people have a choice whether to buy them products or not and as a smoker, if JTC introduce a new cigarette brand, I might like to know about it, I like smoking, I pay the Tax on cigarettes, I have that choice, do I want to give up? No! it's not because of any advertising, it is because I like smoking! Trying to give up when I enjoy doing it will be pointless as I will never succeed, apart from that everyone in my family smokes, my grandmother died at 81, a very old age from a non-smoking illness and she smoked for over 45 years.

I would just like organisations to stop interefering in peoples lifestyle choices, they take enough of Tax of us, so pump that into the NHS if they are so worried, meanwhile for the large ones, excercise and cut down on the food, and then we wouldn't have this issue, move more,cut down on the calories, calories in,calories out! It's that simple!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote