Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WTF is up with my connection?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

WTF is up with my connection?

Old 24-02-2012, 15:06   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: WTF is up with my connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Risco's graph is a perfectly good gaming graph IMO. True it's not peak time. But if Boroboi's graph is like that at peak time, his gaming is more likely suffering from congestion at the peering point between VM and the internet routed towards the game server.
Agreed. His graph looks pretty good, and in terms of graphs I've seen, actually looks better than average.

In comparison, this for example is still borderline OK for some games between 6pm and midnight. Not ideal, and I can certainly feel the difference cf. the Infinity line, but it's not bad enough for me to give up and not play at all:

Approximately between 9pm and midnight on this chart - that's when it gets so bad I just give up and quit:

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

To the OP, there's absolutely no problem with your broadband connection itself, at least not right now. Power levels are fine and performance is as near perfect as can be expected. If there's a problem, it lies elsewhere...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2012, 17:51   #17
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

This is what my connection is like most of the time

For games which are sensetive to jitter, such as FIFA, it's an utter headache to play. Delays, unresponsive players, infact, the game is no longer fun to play anymore purely because it spawns all sorts of ridiculous things to happen.

Games like COD and BF3, the hitreg is crap anyway so usually wouldn't notice, but it's only FIFA which seems to be sensitive to jitter enough that it actually ruins the game. I have a mate on 50 Meg virgin media, and every game we play is just a lag fest its actually rather embarassing how bad the game looks EVERY time we play together in a 1v1.

(the packet loss is me changing upstream channels)
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 23:58   #18
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Well, my connection keeps dropping out totally or performing badly. Last time I called out an engineer he said there is nothing wrong inside and he would get someone to check outside. Yet I still had issues, and mutiple times had a loss of connection and have been suffering various T3 and T4 timeouts.

Any suggestions on what to say to the engineer this time?

Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:03   #19
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

can you log into your modem and post your power levle for upstream and wondstream dnt, operation config and event logs

can i ask how you kno you have had t3 and t4 timeouts? as it can help me direct th tech well i should say tell them hwo to do there job an not be lazy arse
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:33   #20
Risco
Inactive

Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
can you log into your modem and post your power levle for upstream and wondstream dnt, operation config and event logs

can i ask how you kno you have had t3 and t4 timeouts? as it can help me direct th tech well i should say tell them hwo to do there job an not be lazy arse
Hi dude, sorry I missed your reply the other night as went to bed early. Anyway the tech came out and..... swapped my modem for a Superhub... I was so desperate for a solution that I thought what the heck.

Well so far I have had multiple dropped wireless connections, tonight it was cycling between connection and no connection. My ping has gone to pot, and jitter is crap. Oh and my speeds are no better.

Here is my graph, it is horrendous.

I was on the phone an hour and half today, first I got through to the utterly useless indian call centre who tried to get me to jump through the usual hoops. Things such as power off the modem, enable guest network with WEP ( i mean seriously! ) plug directly in to the modem etc. I got very upset and calmly told him to put me through to UK call centre. He said it was not possible, but after getting passed to customer service ( damn india call centre again ) I just went over everything again so he must of got bored and put me on to UK.

A very nice scottish guy called Stephen was helpful, but ultimately unsuccessful in resolving my issues. He got me to check various pings to bbc and the hub itself all coming back with no packet loss. He also had an engineer check my line and that apparently came back normal.

Why the hell do Virgin keep friggin lying through their teeth to me? There is a clearly a big issue! I don't want to have to go the CEO route again but it seems I have no choice?
Old 12-03-2012, 22:44   #21
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

oh i am about to go to the ceo office about there stupid term and conditions and here is why

ok basically my v+ hard disk is guffed aand the v+ will need replace but...

i have recording on the hard disk i want but obviously the normal repsonse from tech support is you ant recover them....

yes in a convetional way you can nto recover them but i ahve very advance tools and disk iamger so i just need to take the hard disk otu of the box plug it into my computer and iamge the drive, put the image onto a new hard disk and pop it back into the v+ box

but this si agains tthere bloody term and ocnditoin which i think is utter nonsense

i know why it is there because someone could be trying illega thigns but all i am wanitng to do is recover my recordings what is the point to me paying extra for the v+ service which i ama essential paying for a recording serivce if when the hard disk is screwed and you haev the expertise you are nto allow to recover and make sure oyu do not lose what in way oyu have paid for

sorry rant over

sorry off topic jsut very annoyed
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:50   #22
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

either break VMs terms and conditions and take the box apart or break the law and download your TV shows by torrent, id chose option 1..... if the box is broke already, then you might as well take it apart
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:51   #23
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You're going to the CEO because you can't get info off a fubared HD, in line with their T&Cs - have you thought this fully through?

The CEO's Office is for escalation of serious issues - using it for, IMHO, low-level issues like this is not appropriate, and if everyone did this, how would the serious issues get dealt with?

Can I ask what recorded programmes are so important to you?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:16   #24
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Illegal downloading should never be the topic within a thread of Cable forum.. last post deleted
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:42   #25
Risco
Inactive

The shub just went crazy for the 2nd time tonight and kept cycling the wifi connection. I don't think I have a choice anymore, I live 783 metres from the BT exchange if it don't get fixed soon I am going to have to leave. I have been for them for nearly 10 years and this is how I am treated.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:44   #26
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

your SH does what, drop wifi or that and a reboot?

have you tried a wifi channel scan then setting your wifi channel accordingly?

a replacement SH sent by VM?

modem mode linked to your own router?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 00:52   #27
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
your SH does what, drop wifi or that and a reboot?

have you tried a wifi channel scan then setting your wifi channel accordingly?

a replacement SH sent by VM?

modem mode linked to your own router?
It drops wifi, and cycles between connecting and disconnecting until I reboot the router. As to using my netgear 3700 with the shub in modem mode, well the tech forgot to leave me the power adapter ( he used my netgear one to power the shub ) so I cannot do it til they send me a new adapter.

I use InSSIDer to find the best channel. The only one that works well is channel 11, all others get stupidly low speeds of 5.5mbps - 40mbps whereas channel 11 works @ 300.

I had zero wireless issues with my 3700, it jsut this pos shub.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:52   #28
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Why the hell do Virgin keep friggin lying through their teeth to me? There is a clearly a big issue! I don't want to have to go the CEO route again but it seems I have no choice?
Well VM tech support staff go on what networks tell them is acceptable utilisation, so if utilisation is below that threshold then staff will think there is nothing wrong VMs side.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 01:01   #29
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

he should have swapped the power supply for the superhub. fool!
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 01:56   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
the tech forgot to leave me the power adapter
Fail.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote