Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Image Optimisation Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Online storage

Old 15-06-2018, 05:17   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Online storage

Can someone suggest to me a good online free storage solution thats either free or cheap with as much storage as possible and as secure as possible please.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2018, 11:28   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Online storage

How much storage do you need? Mail.ru will give you 500Gb but I wouldn't trust it for sensitive info.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:34   #3
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

Have a look at GOOGLE.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 12:06   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Can someone suggest to me a good online free storage solution thats either free or cheap with as much storage as possible and as secure as possible please.
How much do you need, what do yoiu need it for, and what do you mean by "secure"?

For instance, there are -

Google Drive: 15GB free, and Google Photos has unlimited free photo storage for photos of 16 megapixels or less, or videos of 1080p or less
OneDrive: 5GB free (1TB for students)(if you subscribe to Office365, you get 1TB free
iCloud: 5GB free
Dropbox: 2GB free, plus up to 16GB extra
Amazon Drive: 5GB + unlimited photos with Prime
Box: 10GB free
Flickr: 1TB free for any resolution photos

If you're a BT Broadband customer, there are various options, depending on your package (5GB, 100GB, or 500GB)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 00:30   #5
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Google Drive: 15GB free, and Google Photos has unlimited free photo storage for photos of 16 megapixels or less, or videos of 1080p or less
Hmm does that still apply even if you pay for extra storage? Mine toggles about, between 100 Gig and a TB as and when, but the majority of it is due to the picture issue...a bunch of pics I keep there (for others to see) are under 16 MB (I think) but does that eat into my overall storage? It must as I can't be using so much for just plain text html messaging...

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
How much storage do you need? Mail.ru will give you 500Gb but I wouldn't trust it for sensitive info.
Anything to do with .ru is probably going to be seen as or marked as SPAM by the recipient...not necessarily because he does not trust the sender but because the entire domain is likely blacklisted by other providers / domains. (So it'll go to junk first, then you can mark individual mail and accounts as safe etc).

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

Quote:
(Emboldening added by me for emphasis).

So I have a friend who uses it for purposes of not having all his stuff marketed everywhere (like with Gmail) and I need to ask him about it but like me, he uses Protonmail.

This is their site:

https://protonmail.com/

Now, they advertise it as end to end encryption:

Quote:
End-to-End Encryption

Messages are encrypted at all times

Messages are stored on ProtonMail servers in encrypted format. They are also transmitted in encrypted format between our servers and user devices.

Messages between ProtonMail users are also transmitted in encrypted form within our secure server network. Because data is encrypted at all steps, the risk of message interception is largely eliminated.
Now I assume that they are not the standard line on encryption the way that say What'sApp / Apple claim and it can be broken very easily but I am curious if and how Protonmail comply with warrants and wireless access to comply with requests from regulators and or law enforcement.

Now I believe full well that if it comes down to it (and it becomes a security risk) government's around the world will take them at their word when they say:

Quote:
Zero Access to User Data

Your encrypted data is not accessible to us
ProtonMail's zero access architecture means that your data is encrypted in a way that makes it inaccessible to us. Data is encrypted on the client side using an encryption key that we do not have access to. This means we don't have the technical ability to decrypt your messages, and as a result, we are unable to hand your data over to third parties. With ProtonMail, privacy isn't just a promise, it is mathematically ensured. For this reason, we are also unable to do data recovery. If you forget your password, we cannot recover your data.
The problem for them is that regulators and foreign governments can just "fine, but we can block your ability to communicate within our jurisdiction". It hasn't gotten that stage one day but we're not there yet as such a hypothetical scenario has not arisen.

This is their OS crypto system - I assume that they would leave it as informative as it is (to the public) were it not truthful:

Quote:
Open Source Cryptography

Time-tested and trusted encryption algorithms
We use only secure implementations of AES, RSA, along with OpenPGP. Furthermore, all of the cryptographic libraries we use are open source. By using open source libraries, we can guarantee that the encryption algorithms we are using do not have clandestinely built in back doors. ProtonMail's open source software has been thoroughly vetted by security experts from around the world to ensure the highest levels of protection
Some more reading materiel on the matter and I am not sure if I am allowed to post such stuff so I will only link to it (sorry if that too, falls foul of the rules):

https://protonmail.com/blog/protonmail-open-source/

Now they do have some errors on their site (and I will point them out to their own site some point soon) but it does look to be one of the most secure...though it is mail first, then storage / cloud. It comes at a cost, though:

https://protonmail.com/pricing

This is by far the most expensive webmail / email client / developer that I have ever come across.

Now the cheapest paid plan starts at 50 bucks a year in the respective currency and there are limits on how much mail you can send / how many labels you can have etc - much less than ad based mail. There is a VPN option but that is at the higher ends of the the plans which does get very costly. At 30 a month and even having the option to buy more it will dent your wallet, some.

It is based in Geneva and that is where I will be going in the next few days so I might ask about their system but truth be told I am thinking that it does seem to come at a very steep cost. I'll ask my friend what he does in regards to it as he is a highly qualified professional who uses it, for work purposes and I doubt that he would be able to survive on 500 MB alone (free level).

For security I would rate their mail, storage and domain service as number 1. Cost wise though, it is the most expensive I know and even then I wouldn't know that much more about it and would advise asking Paul or someone who is an expert in encryption when it comes to matters of security.

Hope that helps, some.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 21:58   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

15-20GB would be nice.
Old 17-06-2018, 02:52   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
15-20GB would be nice.
Sounds like Google, then - keep non-photos on Google Photos, and everything else in Google Drive.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 04:31   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Keep non photos on Google Photos?
Old 17-06-2018, 09:43   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I think Hugh means keep photos on Google Photos and other files on Google Drive.
Old 17-06-2018, 19:15   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I use Amazon S3 & Glacier.
Neither are free, but they are secure, and not overly expensive.
I have much larger amounts of data than 15-20GB though (about 100x more).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 19:18   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If you need alot of space for photos 1TB of free storage with Flickr is nice.
Old 17-06-2018, 19:37   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have various online storage accounts, all free.

Samsung - 15GB (free with phone/tablet)

Google Drive - 15GB

One Drive - 30GB (free with Xbox Live) (1TB for £60 a year or 5TB for £80 a year)

Dropbox - 2GB

Amazon - unlimited for phones (free with prime) - 5GB for files & Videos

Last edited by Hom3r; 17-06-2018 at 19:42.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 20:11   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have various online storage accounts, all free.

Samsung - 15GB (free with phone/tablet)

Google Drive - 15GB

One Drive - 30GB (free with Xbox Live) (1TB for £60 a year or 5TB for £80 a year)

Dropbox - 2GB

Amazon - unlimited for phones (free with prime) - 5GB for files & Videos

If you have a Samsung you should be able to get 100GB extra free on Onedrive.

You mean photos unlimited on Amazon.
Old 18-06-2018, 16:49   #14
alanbjames
R.I.P.

I think large file uploads are out of the question with the speeds Virgin give on uploads.
Old 18-06-2018, 18:22   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I think large file uploads are out of the question with the speeds Virgin give on uploads.

I don't have problems uploading GBS of photos and that is on 10mbit.