Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 22-12-2011, 10:41   #796
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Of course now I'm only 10/1Mbps it has to get pretty bad before I see speed reductions if things work how I think they do. I'm just going to sit things out on this package now pretty much for sure as Infinity has been brought forward by 6 months now.

Who knows 7 months from now I might be berating BT and hankering on returning to VM.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2011, 17:26   #797
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

yep as far as I know there is no priority given to higher tier customers under congestion so a 100mbit customer could be seeing 11mbit speeds a near 90% drop whilst a 10mbit customer could still see full speed.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 17:49   #798
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

What a terrible shame

I spotted I couldn't logmein to home today and was rather hoping that this outage like the last signalled a node split. No such luck it just signalled an outage - at least it wasn't a dipstick engineer swapping the tap to some other random one this time though which is a minor consolation.
Attached Images
File Type: png 5e66471ba166924fe8529ac7a7d80709-22-12-2011.png (97.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 23-12-2011, 10:58   #799
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

that outage may still have been reseg work, but you still on the original segment.
Old 23-12-2011, 16:20   #800
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

connection going to hell again here.
Old 23-12-2011, 16:26   #801
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
yep as far as I know there is no priority given to higher tier customers under congestion so a 100mbit customer could be seeing 11mbit speeds a near 90% drop whilst a 10mbit customer could still see full speed.

i don't think that is correct....i get 90-100 Mbps 247 even when the local UBR is loaded @ 42% i can still hit these speeds
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 17:18   #802
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
i don't think that is correct....i get 90-100 Mbps 247 even when the local UBR is loaded @ 42% i can still hit these speeds
42% is low for VM.

So the fact your UBR is relatively uncongested means what to my statement?
Old 23-12-2011, 20:09   #803
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

with 200mbit of available bandwidth, the uBR would need to be over 50% load before you would see any speed reduction, so at 42% your going to be hitting full speed 24/7
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:02   #804
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

I guess it all depends at what level you are measuring. The 200Mbps is at the node level (or even sub node? - depends on definitions) and the modems served will be in the low (hopefully very low) hundreds. You could have a completely borked node yet the overall CMTS (which I think serve several thousand modems) could be at a tiny overall utilisation level.

That is a couple of torrent freaks nearby may wipe out your street but they will have no impact at all on the overall district. This is why cable is more susceptible to heavy usage than xDSL where the contention point is thousands of users on far fatter pipes.

Unless of course (as is often the case) I've got it all wrong.
Old 24-12-2011, 14:09   #805
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I guess it all depends at what level you are measuring. The 200Mbps is at the node level (or even sub node? - depends on definitions) and the modems served will be in the low (hopefully very low) hundreds. You could have a completely borked node yet the overall CMTS (which I think serve several thousand modems) could be at a tiny overall utilisation level.

That is a couple of torrent freaks nearby may wipe out your street but they will have no impact at all on the overall district. This is why cable is more susceptible to heavy usage than xDSL where the contention point is thousands of users on far fatter pipes.

Thats possible as I understand it.

eg. leics only had 1 ubr covering the entire city so that ubr would be serving several nodes at the very least. The situation described probably does exist in some areas and makes a mockery of what VM are doing since clearly things can be balanced better but are not.
Old 24-12-2011, 15:39   #806
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

That's fine, though there is no 'sub node'. The node is as far as it goes and there's no way to break modems down into smaller groups apart from adding more channels and spreading devices across them.

Each 10k can hold 8 cable line cards, one line card that comes to mind can have 72 downstreams and 60 upstreams, split that 12 ways you've 12 service groups of 6 downstreams and 5 upstreams.

Basically fully load a Cisco 10k with that you've close to 24Gbps of downstream and, using the current schemes VM are, 8.7Gbps of upstream capacity.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 15:46   #807
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Each 10k can hold 8 cable line cards, one line card that comes to mind can have 72 downstreams and 60 upstreams, split that 12 ways you've 12 service groups of 6 downstreams and 5 upstreams.

Basically fully load a Cisco 10k with that you've close to 24Gbps of downstream and, using the current schemes VM are, 8.7Gbps of upstream capacity.
So what are VM using, if they have this many upstream channels available why do they all seem so congested? Most areas are using 4 downstreams and 1 upstream, and if theres 72 down and 60 up, why cant it be 4 down and 3 up for each modem, that would certainly lower ping and jitter and stop TBB ping graphs looking like a house fire.

Im sure theres a reason why not, but I cant work it out myself
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 15:59   #808
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Thats possible as I understand it.

eg. leics only had 1 ubr covering the entire city so that ubr would be serving several nodes at the very least. The situation described probably does exist in some areas and makes a mockery of what VM are doing since clearly things can be balanced better but are not.
Given there are 17 of them there in Leicester's own hub site now, 4 of which are Motorola BSRs VM must have been pretty busy getting the other 16 onto the network in such a short time, and of course there is also the minor issue that Leicester is served by more than one hub site, so VM must've done something pretty special and made Leicester pretty unique for a city served by Leicester and Northfields (which has 12 VXRs and 2x10k) to all be hooked to a single uBR.

I must admit I struggle to see exactly why VM would put 2 Motorola BSRs into my hub with its 4 VXRs, one of which was only half full, and only use 1 for a site with 13 VXRs.

If space were a problem they'd either wait until more space was available or do a displacement build, swapping VXRs for BSRs directly.

That was well worth clicking the 'View Post' button for.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
So what are VM using, if they have this many upstream channels available why do they all seem so congested? Most areas are using 4 downstreams and 1 upstream, and if theres 72 down and 60 up, why cant it be 4 down and 3 up for each modem, that would certainly lower ping and jitter and stop TBB ping graphs looking like a house fire.

Im sure theres a reason why not, but I cant work it out myself
Most areas with any kind of load are using multiple upstreams, in addition most areas have more than one node sharing the downstream, say the 4 downstreams split across 2 nodes, with each node having 2 independent upstreams.

Very few areas running on a single DOCSIS 2 upstream, majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k. You can tell a congested Motorola from a congested 10k pretty easily.

Once line card swaps are finished VM can do upstream bonding.
Old 24-12-2011, 16:18   #809
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
The node is as far as it goes and there's no way to break modems down into smaller groups apart from adding more channels and spreading devices across them.
That's what I was wondering about when I invented the term sub-node - I wondered if a "node" whatever it may be could have multiple channel groupings giving it more than 200/18.
Old 24-12-2011, 18:15   #810
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
That's what I was wondering about when I invented the term sub-node - I wondered if a "node" whatever it may be could have multiple channel groupings giving it more than 200/18.
Yes they could but there's no point, far better to bond all the channels together.

A node however is a physical construct, what you're talking about would be called a service group.