Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5.1 surround sound.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

5.1 surround sound.

Old 04-07-2008, 22:20   #16
ricky1231
Inactive

ricky1231 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 5.1 surround sound.

sorry will retake now

added
ricky1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 22:49   #17
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky1231 View Post
sorry will retake now

added
still a bit blurry, but I'm assuming that the 3 x 3.5mm jack sockets at the top right are for input from a PC & the 5 phono sockets below are for the speaker connections.

I can't tell if the left hand side has any other kind of audio socket, though ??

- afaik the 'line in', 'line out' & 'microphone ' sockets on a compatible sound card can act as 6 single channels - giving the 5:1 connectivity using 3 stereo jacks - clever, but no good for anyone wanting to connect an ordinary freeview decoder - does one connector say 'center & sub'? - try plugging the headphone socket from the tv into that with a suitable lead & connect the center (sic) speaker to the appropriate phono socket on the sub.
Old 04-07-2008, 22:54   #18
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

By the look of it it's purely a speaker system designed to take the 5.1 outputs from a PC soundcard and amplify them to the 5.1 speakers, it does NOT have a 5.1 decoder in it and will not take a Stereo output, optical outpu or co-axial output.

Sorry but you have bought the wrong setup, though saying that no system will give you true 5.1 from a simple stereo TV output. Best to by a simple 2.1 speaker system for the setup you have.

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 23:09   #19
ricky1231
Inactive

ricky1231 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
By the look of it it's purely a speaker system designed to take the 5.1 outputs from a PC soundcard and amplify them to the 5.1 speakers, it does NOT have a 5.1 decoder in it and will not take a Stereo output, optical outpu or co-axial output.

Sorry but you have bought the wrong setup, though saying that no system will give you true 5.1 from a simple stereo TV output. Best to by a simple 2.1 speaker system for the setup you have.

Kymmy
bummer , looks like its useless then,

thanks for the help tho guys,
ricky1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 23:22   #20
homealone

Quote:

Kymmy
thanks

- I get confused because my ancient cambridge soundworks 'desktop theater 5.1' system has a built in decoder & will do 'real' dolby 5.1 via a coax/rca connector - but also has 'front/back' 3.5mm speaker input jacks, and the facility to do the 'pro-logic' stuff, as MattD said ..

- well my one used to, but it seems to have broken & the centre channel keeps dropping - I've been looking at the lovely Logitech Z5500 set, lately

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky1231 View Post
bummer , looks like its useless then,

thanks for the help tho guys,
not useless - just worth what you can get for Argos stuff on ebay
Old 04-07-2008, 23:24   #21
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

My V500 is a Cambridge audio as well, though has a full 6.1 channel DTS individual inputs I tend to use the coax or optical 5.1 inputs attached to my dvd/sat

It though does not have any 3.5mm inputs, pity as although a now defunct company it's an amazing bit of kit which I paid 50UKP for from richie sounds about 7 years ago

Kymmy

PS..weird homealone, your post came up twice for me, deleted one and it deleted both so restored it...weird
Old 05-07-2008, 00:01   #22
homealone

Quote:
My V500 is a Cambridge audio as well, though has a full 6.1 channel DTS individual inputs I tend to use the coax or optical 5.1 inputs attached to my dvd/sat

It though does not have any 3.5mm inputs, pity as although a now defunct company it's an amazing bit of kit which I paid 50UKP for from richie sounds about 7 years ago

Kymmy

PS..weird homealone, your post came up twice for me, deleted one and it deleted both so restored it...weird
agreed is weird - let me know if it happens again, please, kymmy
Old 05-07-2008, 02:06   #23
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

full specs on the mikomi -
Quote:
Originally Posted by argos
5.1 channel.

55 watts RMS.

6 speaker sockets.

Power on LED on subwoofer unit.

Master volume and woofer volume control.

Size main unit (H)23.7, (W)17, (D)23.7cm.

Size satellite speakers (H)10, (W)6.8, (D)6.4cm.

Use with a product that has a Dolby decoder.
so yes, it would need a dolby decoder to feed it seperate front, rear, and sub channels, but not bad for 24.99
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 00:23   #24
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Erm, that's a bit blurry!
Phew, that's a relief. Thought I'd overdosed on cider again..
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 00:15   #25
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

I am having issues with my 5.1 as well. It has the larger jack, not the headphone one the next one up.

This is the one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126903
I can only get 2.1 one to work through my tell, Samsung LE32R74BDX - 32"
Also, id liek to be able to get everything working through it, Sky, Wii, PS3, Xbox360.

Can anyone offer any advice?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 00:59   #26
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

What do you mean "next one up"? Is it a Phono socket (look at the 3 sockets at the right of this picture)?

However, looking at the rather limited description on ebuyer and Amazon, it looks like the speakers do not include a Dolby 5.1 decoder. You will need one of those to get 5.1 surround sound from the Sky box, the Xbox 360 and PS3. Not sure if any Wii titles support Dolby Digital.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39   #27
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Yep its those ones, red and white, can you name a good place to get a "Dolby 5.1 decoder"
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19   #28
Kymmy
Inactive

Try a search on ebay for AV RECIEVER if you want a truly dedicated one, but it would be cheaper/easier to just sell the 5.1 speakers and go for a fully intergrated 5.1 speaker/decoder system unless you;re looking for fantastic quality.

Kymmy
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39   #29
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Yep its those ones, red and white, can you name a good place to get a "Dolby 5.1 decoder"
Take a look at Richer Sounds or similar type of Audio site. Normally cheaper than eBay sellers & they can advise you & help with aftersales. These are all 5.1 Setup Systems http://www.richersounds.com/informat...ecinemasystems

The AMP's are at http://www.richersounds.com/productl...oup=AMPLIFIERS (try not getting a 5.1 system with built in DVD Player) that way if you upgrade to BluRay or anything your AMP will work with it all. If its a All in One system you can be tied to limitations of unit.

I had a Denon AMP off them. Works a treat (my first entry AMP). I have Keff 2005.2 Egg Speakers
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote