Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 13-11-2017, 00:49   #121
jj20x

Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
What a load of crap, explain to me why Virgin owe ITV anything?
Oh it's just his mantra, VM should pay for everything regardless of the asking price. Then he'd complain about the price, or maybe not as he has Sky anyway.
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2017, 04:28   #122
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
They don't.
Old 13-11-2017, 06:10   #123
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Do not expect an answer to that question, Arthur never reply's to question about his rants

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 08:25   #124
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Can everyone just stick to the topic which is not Arthur..
Old 16-11-2017, 01:30   #125
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
ITV have said nothing will happen until the new Chief Exec joins in January and then takes a fresh look at the issue so we're all good for a while yet.
This sounds like possible backpeddling to me now that VM have made it clear that they have no intention of paying any retransmission fees and have a contingency plan in place that keeps the channel for their customers whilst harming ITV's advertising revenue.

A new CEO with "a different approach/view" on the matter would allow them to do a U turn without leaving them with egg on their face.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 17:08   #126
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This sounds like possible backpeddling to me now that VM have made it clear that they have no intention of paying any retransmission fees and have a contingency plan in place that keeps the channel for their customers whilst harming ITV's advertising revenue.

A new CEO with "a different approach/view" on the matter would allow them to do a U turn without leaving them with egg on their face.
In ITV latest set of results advertising revenue was down again.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 00:09   #127
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Technical details posted in the 'Coming Soon' thread suggest to me that it may be STV that VM would use as the single signal to pump throughout their network.

This tactic would keep ITV programmes for VM viewers without paying any retransmission fees and lose them even more advertising revenue.

At the same time the advertising rates for the only independent ITV franchise left would probably increase due to their advertising being shown nationally on the VM network.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 13:50   #128
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Maybe I'm missing something here, surely this issue is black and white...

If ITV decide on a blackout on VM, why are posters suggesting they can use alternative means to keep showing ITV???

It seems simple to me, ITV pull the plug, if VM keep showing it then the lawyers are called in
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 14:28   #129
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, surely this issue is black and white...

If ITV decide on a blackout on VM, why are posters suggesting they can use alternative means to keep showing ITV???

It seems simple to me, ITV pull the plug, if VM keep showing it then the lawyers are called in
It's not quite that simple. At the moment there is a "must carry" obligation for PSB services so, in theory, VM has to carry ITV. Things start to get difficult if ITV cut the direct feed, As a PSB, ITV has a "must offer" obligation.

This is what happens when legislation is introduced without considering the implications..
Old 17-11-2017, 14:33   #130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
It's not quite that simple. At the moment there is a "must carry" obligation for PSB services so, in theory, VM has to carry ITV. Things start to get difficult if ITV cut the direct feed, As a PSB, ITV has a "must offer" obligation.

This is what happens when legislation is introduced without considering the implications..
So Virgin simply get the feed from elsewhere and ITV can refer VM to Ofcom. Now that will be interesting!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 15:06   #131
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So Virgin simply get the feed from elsewhere and ITV can refer VM to Ofcom. Now that will be interesting!
I don't know why VM would take the trouble to get a feed from elsewhere. I suppose that VM customers could then complain to Ofcom about VM failing to meet its PSB "must carry" obligations if it doesn't take another feed but the responsibility for lack of carriage would surely be ITV's.

If ITV cut the feed they are in breach of the "must offer" obligation and they could be referred to Ofcom and to the DCMS. Possibly putting ITV in breach of their PSB licence.

The problem is that the change in legislation, theoretically allowing ITV to introduce a retransmission fee, hasn't modified the PSB "must carry" or "must offer" obligations.

ITV want an additional revenue stream from pay-tv providers, without offsetting that with any costs of carriage, not very realistic. They complain that they are losing revenue as pay-tv customers skip the ads on their PVRs, which ignores the fact than not every pay-tv customer has a PVR. It also ignores the fact that PVRs are also available on other platforms, so why only impose a charge on "pay-tv" customers?

Personally, if I record anything from ITV, I use a Freeview PVR, saving disk space on the Tivo for content not available elsewhere. I certainly don't want to pay additional fees simply because the ITV PSB channel happens to also be duplicated on VM.

Last edited by jj20x; 17-11-2017 at 15:09.
Old 17-11-2017, 16:38   #132
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This new law only applies to cable delivered TV and won't affect Sky until they start their IPTV service.

The Government initially said that they didn't expect this to affect traditional cable companies, but now that ITV is trying it on, they say that it's for the market to decide.
How bizarre....

So ITV pay SKY for carriage of their channels.
ITV want VM to pay them for broadcasting their channels.

How does that work out? I cant get my head around that? That sounds incredibly, incredibly unfair...I know one is satellite and one is cable but I still cant get my head around how its a night and day difference in terms of paying or getting money....
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 16:48   #133
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
How bizarre....

So ITV pay SKY for carriage of their channels.
ITV want VM to pay them for broadcasting their channels.

How does that work out? I cant get my head around that? That sounds incredibly, incredibly unfair...I know one is satellite and one is cable but I still cant get my head around how its a night and day difference in terms of paying or getting money....
The reason you cannot get your head round that situation, is because it is blatantly unfair.

Satellite and Cable both perform identical services - I.e. They both supply pay channels and freak to air channels. Why anyone could say otherwise is incredibly ridiculous.

Personally, I don't care as long as I am not forced to pay for ITV through virgin.

As I have said before, make ITV set up the mechanisms to charge for their own channel if they want to charge, make them pay to advertise the channel to attract subscribers, charge them carriage fees (similar to what they pay sky)

If they don't like it tough - but do not agree to pay them and up my subs against my will.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 21:39   #134
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like all they can do is pull all channels with the exception of ITV so they fulfill their legal requirement.
I'll be surprised if they do it but you never know, hopefully VM call their bluff
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 22:36   #135
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Can l join this 'rant' as members are saying.

Sky is a business, so therefore are charging ITV and other companies to use there Satelitte.

So why cant ITV charge VM for using there channels on the network.

Its like me saying to my next door neighbour. I have four Tv channels, that l would like you to show on local TV. Is he going to do that for nothing, l don't think so.

If the case if NO, then why are we paying subs to VM to watch there services. We pay as VM pay to use other companies channels on there network.

Rant over. Not only that, l have other things to worry about - such as the budget coming up. My job depends on the budget
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote