Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ps3 internet connection?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Convince me on the PS3

Old 14-12-2009, 11:34   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Convince me on the PS3

I am very tempted to buy a PS3 in the new year. Why you ask? Well, The new hardware is tempting especially considering the reports of it being very quiet (making a change from my xbox which whirs with puppy like excitement every time I play with it) and there are a couple of exclusives I want to play! Namely, Little Big Planet and Uncharted. The Blu-Ray player would be a bonus as well.

So, What are the positives of a PS3 that I do not have with the XBox?

What good games are on PSN? Is the online play good?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2009, 11:55   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: Convince me on the PS3

Pro's 1. you can surf the net 2. Blue ray, 3. slightly better games graphics imo, 4 No annual charge for connection to the playstation network. 5. Its a more reliable console.

Cons 1. game chat isn't anywhere near as good as the xbox, as you have to be in the same game a lobby to speak to your buddies. 2. Not quite as user friendly,

I have both and use both regularly but spend more time online on my xbox.

If its a noise issue with your xbox, try giving it a good hoovering especially near the fans at the back, then get a can of compressed air and blast it through the fans to give the heat sinks inside a clear out.

Now that I have both I wouldn't be without either but I have to say, If I had to pick one or the other I would say xbox purely because of the game chat aspect
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:19   #3
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

I hardly use mine. I have about 3 games for it (1 being LBP), but to be honest, I hardly ever touch it for gaming. I use it mainly as my DVD/Bluray player and I hardly ever get Blurays these days. If you like gaming on your own then get one, but if you like going online with friends to play multi-player then I wouldn't bother as the expeience is lacking on the PS3 compared to the xbox.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:43   #4
zing_deleted

very good media player. I use rewritable dvds though instead of over the network though. MKVs convert to mpeg quickly so HD content is bountyful
Old 14-12-2009, 13:26   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I am very tempted to buy a PS3 in the new year. Why you ask? Well, The new hardware is tempting especially considering the reports of it being very quiet (making a change from my xbox which whirs with puppy like excitement every time I play with it) and there are a couple of exclusives I want to play! Namely, Little Big Planet and Uncharted. The Blu-Ray player would be a bonus as well.

So, What are the positives of a PS3 that I do not have with the XBox?

What good games are on PSN? Is the online play good?
Built-in WiFi (if you need it)

Built-in Blu-ray player

Free online multiplayer

BBC iPlayer

Quieter than a 360

More reliable than a 360

Slightly better media support than a 360

------------

Online multiplayer is good. It isn't as good as XBL, as it doesn't yet have cross-game chat/invites & simply doesn't have the level of integration that XBL has, but, well, it is 100% free.

The BD function is very good.

Some of the exclusive games are excellent. I bought my PS3 2 years ago pretty much just for Uncharted & the BD player (whereas I bought my 360 for... PDZ ... and had to wait quite some time until there were really any decent games for it).

Heavenly Sword is a very good, very cinematic, hack 'n' slash. More fun IMO than Ninja Gaiden & DMC4.

LittleBIGPlanet is excellent. Very good single player & multiplayer, plus there's also the whole creative side of it too if you're into that.

Uncharted 1 is IMO the best game of 2007. Absolutely awesome game. Graphics, sound, gameplay, story, voice acting.

Uncharted 2 is IMO the best game of 2009, even better than Uncharted 1, & is one of the best games I've played in ages. It's also Metacritic's highest rated game of 2009 (any platform), plus won Game of the Year, Best PS3 Game & Best Graphics at the recent Spike Videogame Awards.

MGS4 is excellent, despite the rather long cut-scenes.

Killzone 2 is meant to be very good, although I've still not gotten around to playing it.

God of War 3 is due out next year, & should be awesome. The PS2's God of War 1 & 2 have been re-released, remastered at 60fps in 720p HD with AA, as the "God of War Collection" for the PS3 (US import only at the moment). Very good if you've not played them before.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 15:12   #6
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

One annoying point, the PS3 is region locked for DVDs & Blurays and as of yet, I don't think there is a way round it.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 15:36   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
One annoying point, the PS3 is region locked for DVDs & Blurays and as of yet, I don't think there is a way round it.
Although it's important to note that games are not
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 16:29   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
True. Although the 360 is also region locked for DVDs.

You can find a lot of region free Blu-ray Discs, especially from WB (I think all theirs are region free).

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/def...769f3256051a67

One way around region coding on DVDs is, hypothetically, to rip the DVD & strip the region coding, then re-burn to a blank or just stream the .vob. Although of course that's an infringement of copyright & a violation of the DVD's technological protection measures, so I would never actually suggest doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Although it's important to note that games are not
Yup
Old 14-12-2009, 16:44   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have friends who have both.

From what the say about playing online, you get what you pay for.

One has got rid of his PS3 because he felt that the xbox was an overall better machine.
Old 14-12-2009, 16:51   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I have both. And a Wii. The Wii doesn't get much use, but the PS3 & 360 get used loads.

XBL is better than PSN. But PSN is free. So yeah, you do get what you pay for. PSN is getting better though.

I think Sony made a big mistake not giving the PS3 various features from the beginning which the 360 had...e.g. with the 360, you had the Guide from launch, with Friend List, invites, & messaging all integrated & standardised, etc. With the PS3, although Sony finally added in-game XMB (e.g. Guide) along with things like Trophies, a lot of stuff is still up to the developers to do, rather than a fixed standard they must adhere to like with the 360. But, as I said, itis getting better. And it's free.

I do play more on XBL than PSN, but that's probably more down to having had XBL for so much longer.
Old 14-12-2009, 16:54   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Matt. How do you find owning both consoles? Do you neglect one in favour of the other for all but the exclusive games? Does your PS3 just become a excessive blu-ray player? I just worried it will become some unwanted junk. I could get a blu-ray only, but there are a handful of games I would like to play. On the other hand I am not desperate to play them and if I ended up with every game I can on the 360 then I might not need the PS3. I was kind of banking on the quieter operation and more reliable hardware so I would buy multi-platform games for the PS3...
Old 14-12-2009, 17:02   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

I've had my 360 since launch day four years ago, & my PS3 since the end of 2007.

For multiplatform stuff, I do normally favour the 360 version over the PS3 version, purely for Achievements or XBL. As above, that's probably more due to having had a 360 for longer. If I had the PS3 for longer, & so had a bigger PSN Friend List than XBL, & more Trophies than Achievements, I'd probably swing more towards the PS3 version of anything on both systems.

The PS3 gets a lot of use for exclusives (IMO it's worth it just for Uncharted etc.). It's also used a lot for media... Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, streaming xvid/divx etc. I rarely ever use the 360 for media now, as it's noisier than the PS3, plus the PS3 has that bit better container & codec support for videos. It also gets used for iPlayer (something the 360 will never see, due to MS wanting it to be for XBL Gold only).

I do probably game on the 360 more than the PS3, because of usually getting 360 versions of multiplatform games, but I think they both have fairly equal overall use. I certainly don't regret getting the PS3 (whereas every now & then I am tempted to trade in my Wii... although I can't do that until I finally play Mario Galaxy).
Old 14-12-2009, 17:03   #13
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Matt. How do you find owning both consoles? Do you neglect one in favour of the other for all but the exclusive games? Does your PS3 just become a excessive blu-ray player? I just worried it will become some unwanted junk. I could get a blu-ray only, but there are a handful of games I would like to play. On the other hand I am not desperate to play them and if I ended up with every game I can on the 360 and the PS3 does just become a blu-ray player then I am not sure I need a PS3.

I would agree with Matt 100% on his comments being a regular user of both, I tend to just float between the 2 as I have different friends on each.

If I want a quiet night I go on the PS3 as I only have a few on my friends list (on purpose)

Yet if I feel the need to spend the evening giving all my online buddies a right good ribbing with full lobbies, and back up for the occasional slanging match on MW2 I go on my xbox.

PS The ps3 head set is pooh imo
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 17:10   #14
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I've had my 360 since launch day four years ago, & my PS3 since the end of 2007.

For multiplatform stuff, I do normally favour the 360 version over the PS3 version, purely for Achievements or XBL. As above, that's probably more due to having had a 360 for longer. If I had the PS3 for longer, & so had a bigger PSN Friend List than XBL, & more Trophies than Achievements, I'd probably swing more towards the PS3 version of anything on both systems.

The PS3 gets a lot of use for exclusives (IMO it's worth it just for Uncharted etc.). It's also used a lot for media... Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, streaming xvid/divx etc. I rarely ever use the 360 for media now, as it's noisier than the PS3, plus the PS3 has that bit better container & codec support for videos. It also gets used for iPlayer (something the 360 will never see, due to MS wanting it to be for XBL Gold only).

I do probably game on the 360 more than the PS3, because of usually getting 360 versions of multiplatform games, but I think they both have fairly equal overall use. I certainly don't regret getting the PS3 (whereas every now & then I am tempted to trade in my Wii... although I can't do that until I finally play Mario Galaxy).

That's good. Tbh Achievements don't bother me. I used to be quite keen on them but now I just don't have time to bother with them and they sometimes make me feel bad or waste my time trying to get the score up. The amount of time I wasted on Batman trying to find all the hidden thingys .

The PS3 probably would be used more as a media player. Maybe some multi-platform games (Final Fantasy might be better on PS3 for example).

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Oh and I know you need to install games on the PS3. On the other hand is the PS3 better at loading times/etc. It is really quieter during games?
Old 14-12-2009, 17:22   #15
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Oh and I know you need to install games on the PS3. On the other hand is the PS3 better at loading times/etc. It is really quieter during games?
Not all PS3 games need to be installed.

Of the ones I've played, I think the worst culprit is MGS4, as it installs when you first put the disc in, and then also re-installs when you start each Act.

But they're not normally that bad.

A lot of games don't install at all... Uncharted 1 & 2 don't install, & don't suffer for it whatsoever for loading times or anything else. I think some of it just comes down to how good the devs are.

Yep, it is certainly quieter, during games & DVDs etc. etc. You obviously know what the 360 sounds like... the PS3 is nothing like that. No horrendously noisy disc drive or fans, no gronking or jet engine noises.

It's not whisper quiet, you can tell it's on. But it is not anywhere near the same level as the 360.

My PS3 is a 40GB Fatty. Quieter than the 60GB Fatty due to the reduction in die process for the Cell CPU from 90nm to 65nm (smaller = less heat = less cooling needed = less noise... plus of course smaller = less power consumed).

The 80GB & 160GB Fatties reduced things further by moving from a 90nm process for the GPU to 65nm.

The Slim should be quieter still, AFAIK, due to the Cell's process going down again, from 65nm to 45nm. Although I don't know what the actual noise difference is like, as I'd assume the Slim uses different fans & BD drive to the Fat.