Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post your Correctable/Uncorrectable Codewords horror stories..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Post your Correctable/Uncorrectable Codewords horror stories..

Old 24-02-2012, 00:33   #1
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light
Post your Correctable/Uncorrectable Codewords horror stories..

You know you want to :P

As some from here have seen, the staff at VM think high levels of CC's are fine. I say there is a massive problem. They think its a problem with me, but have had plenty of techs out in the past and nothing wrong with my connection etc.

But they persist in shifting the blame to myself, funny thing is there is always a bad channel, but the last week holy bat mobile its been horrendous.

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 299000000 291000000 307000000 315000000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 33 32 34 35
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 6.952
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level
(dBmV) -0.75 1.33 -0.92 -1.20
RxMER
(dB) 36.61 37.09 36.39 36.84
Correctable
Codewords 2514 124286236 443 8773864
Uncorrectable
Codewords 444 168602 500 434

Got to love that 2nd channel, a few days ago it was close to 190 MILLION yes million CC's before I reset the modem.

So don't know what fairy land they live in to expect this to be acceptable (even at lesser but high amounts also). This is in Uddingston (supposed to have been upgraded this month.... lawl yeah wonder how many months this will be pushed back also)

What about you guys, post your horror pastes and what location you are in. Lets see what others have. Would love to see other Uddingston users post theirs too.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2012, 14:56   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Post your Correctable/Uncorrectable Codewords horror stories..

Correctable codewords, being correctable, will have little, if any impact on your service. It's the uncorrectables that matter, and yes, you do have a lot of them, and yes there's a fault somewhere, looks like an amplifier or line card is out of whack.

But again the CCs don't matter one bit (pardon the pun). It's the UCs you should be looking at.

On another note, a fellow CF'er who's gone quiet lately used to mention how far behind Uddingston is in the upstream uplifts and how incompetent the planners have been, I wonder if you've seen any progress lately? Last I heard the expected dates for the network upgrades to finish was Feb 2012, i.e. pretty damn soon.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 16:05   #3
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Correctable codewords, being correctable, will have little, if any impact on your service. It's the uncorrectables that matter, and yes, you do have a lot of them, and yes there's a fault somewhere, looks like an amplifier or line card is out of whack.

But again the CCs don't matter one bit (pardon the pun). It's the UCs you should be looking at.

On another note, a fellow CF'er who's gone quiet lately used to mention how far behind Uddingston is in the upstream uplifts and how incompetent the planners have been, I wonder if you've seen any progress lately? Last I heard the expected dates for the network upgrades to finish was Feb 2012, i.e. pretty damn soon.
if you mean who i think no not me :p then yes the spee duplift has happened for most if nto all uddingston
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 16:19   #4
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

If it's just one channel when the SNR/RxMER is fine, then could be a laser problem at that frequency which is dropping bits. Needs a network engineer IMO.

Could be the VMNG300, of course, though I doubt it.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 17:09   #5
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah doubt its the modem itself, channels change randomly on which one will be the worse out of the 3.

Would have been more inclined to believe its the modem if it was always the same channel being affected.

Still funny that months ago when the CC's started to creep up in smaller amounts, I did say a problem was coming, and I was right... to the point that its extremely poor.

Just a bit miffed about this new "Prove" that you have a problem rubbish they are trying to lessen the amount of refunds they pay out. They may call it whatever they want, and how it "helps them" figure out a problem (even if it was that they would never fix a problem in the same month as most people know from their track records), but it is simply to bamboozle the non-techy customers into thinking everything is fine so they won't refund customers who rightfully deserve a refund for a poor service.

Anyways, still be interested to know others mainly in the Uddingston area if they have equal problems just now. If not then I can then eliminate possibles and eventually narrow down the problem.
Old 24-02-2012, 19:50   #6
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post
Yeah doubt its the modem itself, channels change randomly on which one will be the worse out of the 3.

Would have been more inclined to believe its the modem if it was always the same channel being affected.

Still funny that months ago when the CC's started to creep up in smaller amounts, I did say a problem was coming, and I was right... to the point that its extremely poor.

Just a bit miffed about this new "Prove" that you have a problem rubbish they are trying to lessen the amount of refunds they pay out. They may call it whatever they want, and how it "helps them" figure out a problem (even if it was that they would never fix a problem in the same month as most people know from their track records), but it is simply to bamboozle the non-techy customers into thinking everything is fine so they won't refund customers who rightfully deserve a refund for a poor service.

Anyways, still be interested to know others mainly in the Uddingston area if they have equal problems just now. If not then I can then eliminate possibles and eventually narrow down the problem.
majority of techincialy support are nto aware what the correctable an non correctable words are, and what they mean, but even if they did trying to get a ticket raised fora fault might be hard as you cant really see the correctable words unless 2nd line can
Old 24-02-2012, 20:26   #7
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
if you mean who i think no not me :p then yes the spee duplift has happened for most if nto all uddingston
Has it? I noticed it had changed to ATDMA but my upstream is still @ Max Traffic Rate 1750000 bps

Maybe if I restart the HUB it will change.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 23:43   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 299000000 307000000 315000000 323000000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 117 118 119 120
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 6.952
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level
(dBmV) 8.60 7.88 7.53 7.12
RxMER
(dB) 34.48 35.08 35.78 35.97
Correctable
Codewords 166233 21195 3354 1542
Uncorrectable
Codewords 959 301 876 896

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

My vmng300 has always had loads of correctable/uncorrectable code words, never noticed an issue, I'm surprised they haven't given dabhand a superhub just so he can't see them!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 23:49   #9
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Has it? I noticed it had changed to ATDMA but my upstream is still @ Max Traffic Rate 1750000 bps

Maybe if I restart the HUB it will change.
i know some of uddingston has been uplifted i cant sure it all has i think ti scheduled to be finished end of this month?
Old 24-02-2012, 23:53   #10
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
i know some of uddingston has been uplifted i cant sure it all has i think ti scheduled to be finished end of this month?
I restarted the router and so far no change for me but guess they have another 5 more days of February left
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 02:40   #11
DABhand
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I'm surprised they haven't given dabhand a superhub just so he can't see them!
Oh jb...

I did have a hub, that didn't last long, went back to the old vmng300.

I would accept a few thousand CC's, but when it comes in miilions per day then data coming from the UBR to me is going wrong somewhere.

Have a tech coming Monday, he will have a look and declare there is nothing wrong with anything here or locally, and then he can finally get the network team to actually do something about it...... maybe.

Trying to find out any info about the UBR upgrade is like drawing blood from a stone, another network team thing.
Old 25-02-2012, 04:01   #12
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

The new upload speed is coming to Uddingston on the 27/02/2012
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 05:31   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Cutting it a bit close aren't they?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 08:10   #14
dajone
Inactive

Services: TiVo - VIP120
dajone will become famous soon enoughdajone will become famous soon enoughdajone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
The new upload speed is coming to Uddingston on the 27/02/2012
Do you work for virgin? Just wondering how you know the date... thought they might have left it to the 29th Feb
dajone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 21:19   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post
Oh jb...

I did have a hub, that didn't last long, went back to the old vmng300.

I would accept a few thousand CC's, but when it comes in miilions per day then data coming from the UBR to me is going wrong somewhere.

Have a tech coming Monday, he will have a look and declare there is nothing wrong with anything here or locally, and then he can finally get the network team to actually do something about it...... maybe.

Trying to find out any info about the UBR upgrade is like drawing blood from a stone, another network team thing.
It can't be long now, folk are getting double speeds and uddis not even got decent uploads!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote