Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bye Bye EU Roaming charges

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Bye Bye EU Roaming charges

Old 04-05-2017, 15:02   #1
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Bye Bye EU Roaming charges

Just thought I'd highlight this

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-...ng-abroad.html

Quote:
Hello sunshine. Bye-bye EU roaming charges

From the 5th of June 2017, you will be able to use your UK allowance anywhere in the EU with Roam Like Home. This means that while you’re travelling in an EU country you’ll be able to use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data, just as you would in the UK subject to fair use limits.

If you don’t have an allowance, or your allowance has run out, you can still use your mobile wherever you are in the EU and pay no more for your minutes, texts and data than you would in the UK, subject to fair use limits.

If you want to use data in the EU before 5th June you’ll need to buy a Data Travel Pass. Passes are non-refundable, so be careful to choose the right size of Pass for your needs and use any remaining data by the 5th June 2017.
Old 04-05-2017, 17:06   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Bye Bye EU Roaming charges

Just after the May holidays, when most people are likely to be abroad, what a surprise.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 17:26   #3
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just till we leave the EU then they'll slap em back on real quick. This an EU ruling and they have to do it, like all mobile companies.
noel43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 17:29   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
Just till we leave the EU then they'll slap em back on real quick.
I don't care if they do. I'd rather have lower charges in the U.K., where I actually use my phone, than pay higher charges to subsidise people who can't put their phone down for five minutes even when they're supposed to be on holiday.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 20:19   #5
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Just till we leave the EU then they'll slap em back on real quick. This an EU ruling and they have to do it, like all mobile companies.
Actually that will be one of the few benefits of the Great Repeal Bill. Any rulings in place will be transferred into UK Law.

The bad news is a Government minister, under the bill, could withdraw the ruling. Even Henry VIII couldn't have done that!
Bircho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 21:00   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
Actually that will be one of the few benefits of the Great Repeal Bill. Any rulings in place will be transferred into UK Law.

The bad news is a Government minister, under the bill, could withdraw the ruling. Even Henry VIII couldn't have done that!
Remoaner nonsense.

The power is there to ensure the odd word here and there can be altered without having to take each individual example to the commons, which would take forever. Not to rewrite substantive pieces of legislation.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 21:17   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

5. To comply with EU Regulations, Roam Like Home also has a monthly data cap in place. If you use more data than the monthly cap allows we may apply a surcharge to any data above the cap. The data cap is set by the Regulations and depends on the price of your airtime plan.

5.1. It’s a simple calculation:

5.1.1. Pay monthly customers: twice your monthly airtime cost (before VAT) divided by the current EU data wholesale capped rate. 

5.1.2. Pay As You Go customers: data up to the amount that can be purchased at the current EU data wholesale capped rate with the credit you have on your account at the point of roaming.

5.2. You can see the surcharge rates and the latest EU data wholesale capped rate in our Tariff Table.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Where is the tariff table, this seems complicated to me!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 21:35   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'd expect the tariff table will become available once the new charging is live in June
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23   #9
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don't care if they do. I'd rather have lower charges in the U.K., where I actually use my phone, than pay higher charges to subsidise people who can't put their phone down for five minutes even when they're supposed to be on holiday.
I care..I still want to keep in touch with my family whilst relaxing but not while incurring over the top charges and still having to pay my usual monthly bill.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:41   #10
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Remoaner nonsense.

The power is there to ensure the odd word here and there can be altered without having to take each individual example to the commons, which would take forever. Not to rewrite substantive pieces of legislation.
I love how people get name called just for pointing out the obvious. You are wrong on every count by the way. If a minister wanted to say do away with the Working Time Directive on holidays whereby we go back to pre 1997 and just be allowed the bank holidays off if employers choose and not the 20 days under the WTD (we did exceed that under the last Labour Government which put 28 days in place) then the bill would allow them to do that - no debate in parliament. Not saying for one moment in reality that would happen but the bill would allow them to do that and no one will ever convince me that that is right.
Bircho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 14:22   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Of course the "odd word here and there" will always be the thin end of the wedge, ripe for misuse.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 14:14   #12
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Perhaps they should update the (re)new contract script where the agent tells you that your included calls and data are for UK only.
Old 28-06-2017, 14:19   #13
alexstephenson

From 15 June we are free from EU roaming charges for next two years. it cost of using mobile phone using at your home: angel: The EU started tackling the issue of high roaming charges more than a decade ago, but finally on Thursday 15 June cross-border roaming charges within Europe will cease.it's really a surprise for us
Old 01-07-2017, 16:23   #14
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstephenson View Post
From 15 June we are free from EU roaming charges for next two years. it cost of using mobile phone using at your home: angel: The EU started tackling the issue of high roaming charges more than a decade ago, but finally on Thursday 15 June cross-border roaming charges within Europe will cease.it's really a surprise for us
But how long will it last once we are out the common market. It was most of the eu countries that wanted it, british companies did not.
noel43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 18:26   #15
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But how long will it last once we are out the common market. It was most of the eu countries that wanted it, british companies did not.
What survey came out with this outcome? Curiously interested.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I care..I still want to keep in touch with my family whilst relaxing but not while incurring over the top charges and still having to pay my usual monthly bill.
It's great whilst working too.

I work outside the UK most working weeks (taking advantage of freedom of movement), and it's nice to see my bill finally drop. Wholesale rates for data and calls are pretty minimal but mobile networks have been using roaming as a mechanism to gouge customers for years.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote