Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2017, 23:16   #2701
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
The vast majority won't bother with Sky, as they will not only have to pay for the satellite slot, but must join Sky's encryption system due to rights issues with some of the programmes they rebroadcast. There are no local channels on Freesat for this very reason.

It must be a massive outlay for just a few thousand viewers. London Live is the only local channel I know of that uses Sky, & with a potential audience in millions rather that thousands this is the only one ever likely too (Excluding possibly STV2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Possible sign that the rumour that GOLD is to go HD could be true.

Apparently, UKTV are currently testing an (encrypted) channel on satellite using Eden, but with EPG listings for GOLD HD!

Hopefully they will make GOLD SD FTA and put it on Freeview (which might explain the confusion over an advert that appeared to suggest that it was advertising GOLD as being on Freeview) and keep the HD variant behind a paywall.

If true, I wonder if we will get GOLD HD on VM? We only got the full selection of UKTV channels just before VM sold off their stake in them.

Anyone know when the carriage deal is up for renewal?
Hope so, Rich. Gold and Drama have started sharing certain programmes, so that also could be a sign.
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2017, 00:54   #2702
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Does anyone actually watch Local TV what a complete waste of time and money.
Not many and, let's face it, there's very little there to attract an audience with such a low budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Been very disappointed with local TV in my area for the very reason they show little to no actual local TV programs. Made In Tyne & Wear for example (which incidentally is on Sky ) shows America's Got Talent! Hardly made in Tyne & Wear is it!
No, it's TruTV.

Old 23-09-2017, 02:03   #2703
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The local TV project has been a complete waste of time, I'm afraid.
I do believe this could have succeeded, but unfortunately those involved don't have the first clue about how this could work!
Old 23-09-2017, 07:14   #2704
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Does anyone actually watch Local TV what a complete waste of time and money.
l agree with everything you have said here MM.
Old 23-09-2017, 09:31   #2705
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The local TV project has been a complete waste of time, I'm afraid.
I do believe this could have succeeded, but unfortunately those involved don't have the first clue about how this could work!
Agree entirely with you old boy. I had high hopes of seeing locally made programs on and about Teesside on Made In Teesside but it just hasn't happened so far. When I emailed them a few months back they said to keep watching as they would improve and more local content would be coming but as I say a big disappointment still.
Old 23-09-2017, 11:04   #2706
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

If true, I wonder if we will get GOLD HD on VM? We only got the full selection of UKTV channels just before VM sold off their stake in them.

Anyone know when the carriage deal is up for renewal?
Assuming the deal (which is more or less certain) for Discovery purchasing Scripps Networks goes through then I'd say a very good chance as it will mean Mr Malone will in effect control 50% of UKTV.
Old 23-09-2017, 15:26   #2707
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Good point.

It's odd to think that VM sold off VM Ireland and their 50% UKTV stake, only for Malone to buy them back.
Old 23-09-2017, 17:36   #2708
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Good point.

It's odd to think that VM sold off VM Ireland and their 50% UKTV stake, only for Malone to buy them back.
I have my own theory but staying quiet on it all i say is one word is publicity and the second starts with s ends with t.
Old 23-09-2017, 20:43   #2709
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Good point.

I think there is a common phrase response for this. What goes around comes around! ��
Old 24-09-2017, 06:31   #2710
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Hope so, Rich. Gold and Drama have started sharing certain programmes, so that also could be a sign.
I think I've worked out what's going on.

The Sky EPG shows Eden HD as closing down at 6am on Monday (VM carries on as usual). I expect the test channel currently showing Eden HD with GOLD on its EPG listing to become GOLD HD.

Sky Living Ireland HD recently closed down (Irish satellite viewers now receive the same feed as the UK as the EPG is now mapped to the English version).

I bet that Sky are reviewing the value that they get from their own HD channels and those that they subsidise resulting, thus far, in:

- Sky Living Ireland HD closing.

- Eden HD closing, with the former capacity being used to create GOLD HD.

I think that Eden SD and GOLD SD will eventually become FTA, with GOLD at least going onto Freeview and both going onto Freesat.

What about VM as a result of these changes?

Well, as it's been reported that the Irish version of Sky Living HD continues on VM Ireland, maybe we will keep Eden HD and hopefully we will get GOLD HD too. VM HD channels are line fed, so the capacity is borne by VM, so I guess it's possible that we may end up with some HD channels that Sky don't have (for a change)!

I never envisaged that HD channels would be closing down in 2017!!
Old 24-09-2017, 09:37   #2711
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

That's a shame as Eden is one of the channels that benefits most from being available in HD. Perhaps (here''s hoping) it's just moving transponder on Sky and HD will remain available on both platforms.

Last edited by Inactive Digital; 24-09-2017 at 10:04. Reason: Damn autocorrect
Old 24-09-2017, 09:48   #2712
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
That's a shame as Eden is one of the channels that benefit's most from being available in HD. Perhaps (here''s hoping) it's just moving transponder on Sky and HD will remain available on both platforms.
That's appalling getting rid of Eden HD which is one of the few channels which really benefits from HD for wildlife programmes etc. Just so we can watch 1970s sitcoms on Gold HD that were never made in HD in the first place.... ( I do like my 70s sitcoms btw, but HD won't make them funnier...)
Old 24-09-2017, 11:21   #2713
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
That's a shame as Eden is one of the channels that benefits most from being available in HD. Perhaps (here''s hoping) it's just moving transponder on Sky and HD will remain available on both platforms.
It certainly seems a strange move, unless Sky are getting Eden UHD!
Old 24-09-2017, 15:46   #2714
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Who is part of the beta trial tommorrow for the new sky cinema app

Great news!
We're planning to begin the Customer Trial of the new Sky Cinema app for iPhone and iPad users from Monday 25th September and will be sending you some important information on how to get started on that day.

We thought we'd give you a little advance notice but we'll send you full details as soon as the app is ready for you to download.
If you have an Android device that you plan to use in the Trial we'll be sending info for that towards the end of next week

Last edited by Ddonald2016; 24-09-2017 at 15:47. Reason: UHD on virgin media don’t kid me
Old 24-09-2017, 20:32   #2715
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I think the problem with Eden is it's relatively low viewing figures.

There has been speculation for some time that Eden & Good Food would be the next (last?) UKTV channels to go FTA. Perhaps it's viewing figures are too low for either Sky or UKTV to maintain an HD variant, but the SD variant might be cost effective using a FTA business model with the increased advertising reach??

There is no benefit to broadcasters in providing HD channels as they cost more to broadcast without any extra advertising income (unless companies like VM & Sky subsidise them).

As Sky & VM no longer appear to be creating/subsidising HD channels for the sake of it, I think that the less popular channels will only become HD due to 'keeping up with the neighbours' (eg the PSB channels) or when SD kit becomes obsolete.

If Sky have decided that certain HD channels aren't driving up or maintaining subscriptions, then it looks like funding is being withdrawn as part of their cost cutting measures because of the cost of the football rights and stagnation of their subscriber base.

Any old GOLD programming recorded on film will benefit from HD, but not stuff recorded on video. Less old material may well have been recorded in HD anyway.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 24-09-2017 at 20:43.
Closed Thread