Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 28-07-2016, 10:38   #106
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm a fan of Now TV but the new box is underwhelming with only a now and next EPG, no recording facility and no 1080 content.
I honestly can't believe you thought it would have a full EPG and recording capability.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2016, 10:44   #107
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
We have a refurbished box they gave us for our son. When his one broke down.

The sales rep told her today, that was the best deal they could give. The contracts ends at the end of July.

Last year, they didn't even tell us that our contract was up. And charged us about £140.00 and said that was the full price for our Bundle.

Its rip off. This is why l have always been critical when they put the price up. Its the same old service, no new channels, just crap one.

Its about time VM thought of the customers, and not themselves.

VM could reduce prices, and still make money. Biggest trouble is there is no competition for VM.

The good thing is that Now TV, are brining out new stuff. And from what l hear, its all good
No competition? What about BT? What about Talk Talk? You will find they are cheaper, but with less choice. (Ahem: that's why they are cheaper).

The reason why the price of channels is so high? You can blame Sky for that one.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:49   #108
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I honestly can't believe you thought it would have a full EPG and recording capability.
My post was in response to Arthur's which said this about the new Now TV box "And from what l hear, it's all good." I pointed out that it's not all good and highlighted the three weaknesses which reviewers have picked up on - no 1080 HD or 4K, no recording facility and no full EPG.
However, in terms of what I expected:
- Recording facility? No didn't expect this.
- 7-day EPG? I did expect this so that users would use the Now TV box to access Freeview channels and no longer need to use the SOURCE button on their TVs to swap between sources.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 28-07-2016 at 11:00.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:54   #109
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

And the shock of the price, IF, we renew the contract at the end of August. It will cost us £140.00 per month.

That is the XL package, bb, and the phone. Pls Sky Sports channels. NOT Movies. That is an increase of £60 quid per month.

I cannot afford that.

Someone, is making money out of us.
How else do you think the overpaid Premier League Prima-Donna's get their money?

Forget football, just take the bb and stream the rest. I'm sure your local will have Sky sport anyway. Your wallet will worship you.
Old 28-07-2016, 12:22   #110
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
My post was in response to Arthur's which said this about the new Now TV box "And from what l hear, it's all good." I pointed out that it's not all good and highlighted the three weaknesses which reviewers have picked up on - no 1080 HD or 4K, no recording facility and no full EPG.
However, in terms of what I expected:
- Recording facility? No didn't expect this.
- 7-day EPG? I did expect this so that users would use the Now TV box to access Freeview channels and no longer need to use the SOURCE button on their TVs to swap between sources.
It's not something I'd ever go out and buy but I'll gladly take a free one.

At the moment 1080 streaming and PVR capability would be to likely to make current satellite customers take note and possibly move something Sky definitely doesn't want.

Last edited by muppetman11; 28-07-2016 at 12:26.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 12:32   #111
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
....Forget football, just take the bb and stream the rest. I'm sure your local will have Sky sport anyway. Your wallet will worship you.
Not that easy to get Rugby League & F1 though......
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:17   #112
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Details of the new box now revealed:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...edia-tv-offer/
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:47   #113
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

No pictures of the beautiful, great, super Tivo UI ?
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:18   #114
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...tion-FINAL.pdf

Page 14 could be it.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 17:23   #115
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....let me try that for you:

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...tion-FINAL.pdf

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
No pictures of the beautiful, great, super Tivo UI ?
Nope, but he's what Tom Mockbridge, VM boss, said on the subject:

".... the relaunch under the brand Virgin TV in the United Kingdom with the new EOS box and new interface will in addition give us a very, very significant step up in our ability to do on demand programming across its multiple forms and give our customers access to a large range of over-the-top applications which you, those of you who are our customers will have seen already, will definitely be adding to that...."

Mike Fries also said in the same webcast that the new box was small and sleek, which is not what the picture shows.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It's not something I'd ever go out and buy but I'll gladly take a free one.

At the moment 1080 streaming and PVR capability would be to likely to make current satellite customers take note and possibly move something Sky definitely doesn't want.
Perhaps....

Everyone seems to view Now TV as a defensive play for Sky which either mops up some customers who have cancelled satellite tv or encouraging a few Freeview folks to upgrade a bit. I'm not so sure its a defensive play by Sky and the evidence for that is the recent launch of broadband and phone bundles along with Now TV.

Perhaps Now TV will be the Sky of the future and this is the beginning of Sky turning from a satellite tv company into a cable/streaming one instead.

Last edited by Horizon; 08-08-2016 at 17:00.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 17:37   #116
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Hmm interesting! I dont have a 4K tv and i'm quite happy with HD...(im only 30 years old i should be more hip and eager for all this new technology but to be brutally honest i like watching tv shows and sport i couldnt care less about how clear the footballers arse looks like- but each to their own)

I'm guessing the 4k box will have the higher cost. Will the non 4k one cost more than the tivo 5 pound charge currently?? If not will it be a case of "oh IYA virgin media my box has broke..."
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 18:43   #117
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
If not will it be a case of "oh IYA virgin media my box has broke..."
Here's a clue: if your V+ breaks, what box do you get as a replacement?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:05   #118
veeemmm

So basically they are releasing a new cheap box that will initially have the "sleeker menus and pictures" (their words not mine) version of Tivo that has just been released to the old Tivo (with 4K bolted on) as an interim measure until they finish working on Horizon in "a few years" and Tivo gets dumped?

http://informitv.com/2016/05/10/virg...ivo-successor/
Old 10-08-2016, 09:31   #119
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
So basically they are releasing a new cheap box that will initially have the "sleeker menus and pictures" (their words not mine) version of Tivo that has just been released to the old Tivo (with 4K bolted on) as an interim measure until they finish working on Horizon in "a few years" and Tivo gets dumped?

http://informitv.com/2016/05/10/virg...ivo-successor/

Quote:
Virgin Media needs to appear more competitive

Did this guy miss the point that he wrote in his own article, that VM are launching a 4k box in a few months, which in electronics terms, is not that far behind 4k Sky Q.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:48   #120
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

So Eos will be used around Europe and will run TiVo or Horizonn.

A one size fits all stb. A bit like the new Suphub.