Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 21:27   #1666
markliffen@googl
Inactive

markliffen@googl is on a distinguished roadmarkliffen@googl is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

along side the cost of purchasing the box will there be a installation or activation fee ? i c urrently have one tivo and a v+ so obviously i pay 5 pound for the tivo i already have will i pay anymore if i have 2 v6 ?
markliffen@googl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 21:38   #1667
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

£99.95 ? Are they having a laugh ! Should be £99.99 surely....

V6 = Emperors New Clothes . If only they'd called it V7, it would have been so much better, probably
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:06   #1668
MagicTorch
Inactive

MagicTorch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope I can explain this question in a way that makes sense! Trying to understand if V6 can do wireless multi-room Live TV (like Sky Q mini), or can V6 only stream recordings between boxes?

Could I have 2 x V6 boxes, with only one of the 2 boxes physically connected to the Virgin incoming coax cable? For example, a main V6 box (say in the lounge) connected to the Virgin coax, but a 2nd V6 box in another room, not connected to Virgin coax, but with the 2nd V6 able to show live TV (with the live TV streaming from a spare tuner in the 'main' V6 box rather than a tuner on the 2nd box).

I ask this question as I live in a terraced house & would not want coax running from one side of the house to another. Virgin cannot currently provide me with a service, but 'Cable my Street' says 'We're on our way'. So hopefully, at some point in the future, I may be able to switch from Sky to Virgin for broadband. Would consider switching TV from Sky to Virgin also, but only if multi room Live TV was truely wireless & not dependent on every box taking a coax feed. I've had Sky Q since launch & it was the wireless multi-room which sold me, so hoping V6 can do the same.

Last edited by MagicTorch; 30-11-2016 at 22:31.
MagicTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:29   #1669
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Each V6 has to have a coax connection I believe.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:32   #1670
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
Very negative write-up on the usually impartial BBC, seemingly supporting many of the forum posters:

- No 4k
- Disappointing content
- VM hands tried by Sky and BT
- concerns over declining Virgin Media tv numbers
- tablet is "only" HD.
- VM claiming there is no demand for 4K
- VM "waiting to see" if it is 3D type scenario
- lack of HDR, VM hoping and "relying on 3rd parties" to add support
- Expensive tablet runs on old, dated (VM modified) version of Android
- lack of equivalent to Sky's multi TV approach
- tablet is not an anticipated enhancement as tablet sales are in decline
- kids app is targeted at "premium subscription options"
- Virgin will find it "hard to succeed"
- "one wonders what Virgin's marketing and communications will be"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38155715

Wow. Maybe VM should have splashed out on a better brand of Champagne at the launch!!
Some of that is incorrect.

Also the tablet is 1080p and marshmallow isn't exactly an old version of Android. Bit big to be used as an everyday tablet though.

There is HDR it states that in the VM info.
Old 30-11-2016, 22:41   #1671
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

There is an addendum in the official info that says it will be added in a software update at a future date.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Some of that is incorrect.

Also the tablet is 1080p and marshmallow isn't exactly an old version of Android. Bit big to be used as an everyday tablet though.

I wonder if Virgin replace the tablets FOC when they break or battery fails etc, as with the set-top-boxes?? No doubt they are going to be thrown about, abused and used as a kids toy etc??
Old 30-11-2016, 22:46   #1672
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Why would they do that as you are buying it outright.

Shame they don't have a 2tb or had mini boxes for multi room. Like Sky Q.
Old 30-11-2016, 22:50   #1673
MisterQ

Quote:
Why would they do that as you are buying it outright.

Shame they don't have a 2tb or had mini boxes for multi room. Like Sky Q.
I agree they probably wouldn't but everything else is rented even if you pay £99.99 to rent a set-top-box that currently has Tivo software on it. Unless it is made clear, some people might foolishly make assumptions that is like all the other equipment. Sooner or later they will get sat on or the battery will fail and customers will be asking for a replacement. Presumably VM will need to provide the necessary support too, when they stop working properly.
Old 30-11-2016, 22:54   #1674
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

That is an install or activation fee. Totally different to paying £299 for a tablet.
Old 30-11-2016, 22:55   #1675
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
[snip]

Given that the presentation was only a slide show I'm not that optimistic.
Really? Really??

This is the box to end all boxes and lay waste to the the Q and it's a powerpoint presentation

Surely it isn't that bad that they daren't risk a live demo...
Old 30-11-2016, 22:57   #1676
MisterQ

Quote:
That is an install or activation fee. Totally different to paying £299 for a tablet.
Maybe but if it is a VM supplied tablet to work with a VM settopbox called TellyTubbyTablet (or whatever the name is) supplied with a VM customized operating system, then it is a bit different to going to currys and buying a branded tablet and installing a VM app on it.
Old 30-11-2016, 22:58   #1677
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
£99.95 ? Are they having a laugh ! Should be £99.99 surely....

V6 = Emperors New Clothes . If only they'd called it V7, it would have been so much better, probably
The laugh is asking you to pay any money at all, it is only rented as they keep banging on....
Old 30-11-2016, 23:06   #1678
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What's your point?

The current 1TB TiVo has a £49.95 activation fee, and when it was launched had a £149.95 activation fee.
Old 30-11-2016, 23:06   #1679
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
The laugh is asking you to pay any money at all, it is only rented as they keep banging on....
Seems fairly standard...

Quote:
Engineer set-up required.

Standard installation: New Sky TV customers: Sky Q 1TB box: £15 with or without a Sky Q Multiscreen subscription; Sky Q 2TB box with a Sky Q Multiscreen subscription: £60; Sky Q 2TB box without a Sky Q Multiscreen subscription: £199.

Standard installation: Existing customers taking a Sky Q Multiscreen subscription: Sky Q 1TB box: up to £49; Sky Q 2TB box: up to £99. Prices discounted to £15 for Sky Q 1TB box or £60 for Sky Q 2TB for existing customers without a current Sky+ Multiscreen subscription.

Existing Sky+ customers wishing to upgrade to Sky Q 1TB box or Sky Q 2TB box without taking a Sky Q Multiscreen subscription: £199 standard set-up, please call 0800 151 2747 for further information and to upgrade.
http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/setup-installation/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 23:59   #1680
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Now that a software update has apparently sorted out the sluggish behaviour of the old TiVo, will the none V6 model still be available for those happy with 3 tuners, no 4K etc?

If so, will it be any cheaper? I imagine they'll soon end up with a lot on their hands.

When TiVo first came out, I remember that they moved the V+ to another room free of charge, so i'm surprised that that they haven't offered to relocate the old model for people to use as a secondary box.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote