Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky BB fibre product

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Sky BB fibre product

Old 31-01-2012, 15:10   #1
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Sky BB fibre product

Sky builds on broadband growth with increased coverage, 10,000 WiFi hotspots and new fibre launch

Quote:
Sky has announced a number of enhancements to its range of broadband services to create more choice for customers and build on its strong growth. The move means that more households will have access to Sky’s great-value broadband, customers will be able to enjoy
free Wi-Fi access on the move and there will be a new fibre option for customers who want
faster speeds.
The announcement comes as new figures show that customers continue to respond in record numbers to Sky’s high-quality broadband and telephony products. In the last three months of 2011, Sky sold more than half a million home communications products, cementing its position as the fastest growing home communications provider in the UK. The latest growth means that , since launching in 2006, Sky has grown its UK broadband market share to 17% (3.6 million customers) and 29% of all Sky homes now take all three of Sky TV, Sky Broadband and Sky Talk.
The new enhancements planned for the months ahead include:
Building out Sky’s network to reach even more UK homes: Sky is extending its network footprint to bring great value broadband to 88% of the UK by*June 2013. This means more than 1 million extra homes will be covered by Sky’s network.
Providing customers with free WiFi wherever they are: Sky will shortly launch its public Wi-Fi service, powered by The Cloud. This will provide Sky Broadband Unlimited customers with free access to more than 10,000 hotspots across the UK. Available in venues such as Caffe Nero, Pizza Express and Wagamama, Sky customers will enjoy seamless and convenient access to public WiFi. This will prove particularly valuable for customers who access Sky content on the go, with high quality wireless delivering an even better experience for Sky Go and Sky’s other video-rich applications.
Adding choice with Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre: Sky is to give customers even more choice by adding a fibre broadband product to its range from April. For £20 a month, customers will be able to access download speeds of up to 40 megabits with a totally unlimited product that has no usage caps. From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme.
http://corporate.sky.com/media/press...w_fibre_launch
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2012, 16:19   #2
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: Sky BB fibre product

At Last, Fast Sky Boradband!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:06   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm taking it that Sky would have the option to also sell the 80 mb product when BT roll it out.
Old 31-01-2012, 17:15   #4
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm taking it that Sky would have the option to also sell the 80 mb product when BT roll it out.
What will other companies be doing when they allowed access to it
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:22   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
What will other companies be doing when they allowed access to it
Whatever their networks allow I suppose , 40mb traffic management free unlimited broadband will do for the vast majority I suspect with the prospect of 80mb for those needing the extra speed.
Old 31-01-2012, 17:33   #6
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Whatever their networks allow I suppose , 40mb will do for the vast majority I suspect with the prospect of 80mb for those needing the extra speed and traffic management free fibre
So after a year Sky has got access to it?,I'am glad that I'am not waiting from the date that I have got for the upgrade?

Quote:
31-March-2012
Old 31-01-2012, 17:37   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So after a year Sky has got access to it?,I'am glad that I'am not waiting from the date that I have got for the upgrade?
I'm only on a 9mb Sky ADSL line currently which beats my contention ridden VM 30mb line hands down hence why I cancelled it.
Old 31-01-2012, 17:41   #8
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
I'm only on a 9mb Sky ADSL line currently which beats my contention ridden VM 30mb line hands down hence why I cancelled it.
This is what the website says that I would get at the moment?

Quote:
Between 6.5Mb and 14.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 8.0Mb)
Old 31-01-2012, 17:59   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This is what the website says that I would get at the moment?
That is because they are only selling an ADSL product until April when they launch their Fibre product initially with speeds of upto 40mb.

BT plans to roll out upto 80mb this year on their FTTC so maybe then Sky would also offer this , I'm sure Ignition could confirm this.

http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={7e309437-6929-442f-8f25-cdd388518c64}

Quote:
The business also revealed a third boost for broadband speeds by saying it now has approval from the relevant authorities to roughly double the speeds delivered by Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) broadband. This development will see FTTC downstream speeds roughly double from up to 40Mbps to up to 80Mbps.
Old 31-01-2012, 18:21   #10
stereohaven
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo, V HD Box, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone M
stereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the roughstereohaven is a jewel in the rough

Good to read this, the new Sky fibre product should be nicely bedded in by the time my Virgin Media contract expires so I can move back and still enjoy a decent speed.
stereohaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:39   #11
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

wish i never canceled my contract with Sky then...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:49   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
wish i never canceled my contract with Sky then...
But they have nothing better then Virgin.
Old 31-01-2012, 19:05   #13
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Cambridge gets FTTC in March. I'll definitely be interested in Sky's fibre product when it launches in April. £20 for truly unlimited 40Mbps would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But they have nothing better then Virgin.
Depends on what you want. I may only get 6Mbps from my "Up to 20Mbps" connection, because of the nature of ADSL, but it only costs me £7.50 per month, plus it is truly unlimited... no limits, no FUP, no throttling/shaping/management.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:23   #14
nick2xuk
Inactive

nick2xuk is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've read, the upload is only going to be 2Mb which puts a bit of a downer on it all.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Not sure if other forums can be linked to - feel free to remove if so - the following link compares it against BT Infinity - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...9&postcount=49
nick2xuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:32   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No insane jitter.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote