Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Ordered my self-install kit

Old 06-08-2014, 18:28   #1
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Ordered my self-install kit

Ready for 50Mb - prompted to move it along as my speed has been taking a bit of a dive.

Signal is down to -10.5dBm - and that's AFTER I took off the 3dB attenuator.

Is the Superhub going to run with that?

I suppose I could have gone for a manned install, but that way I'd be paying for my own service call.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2014, 18:43   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Ordered my self-install kit

Why remove the attenuator?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 20:30   #3
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Ready for 50Mb - prompted to move it along as my speed has been taking a bit of a dive.

Signal is down to -10.5dBm - and that's AFTER I took off the 3dB attenuator.

Is the Superhub going to run with that?

I suppose I could have gone for a manned install, but that way I'd be paying for my own service call.
That's definitely out of the ideal range, should be as close to 0 as possible. Are you having issues? If so, ring up and they'll send out a fault tech to fix it (no charge).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 20:43   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, I would install the shub and then ring up and tell them it is online but speed is pants and all over the place and that your power levels are way out. They'll send someone out to fix it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 00:15   #5
Matth
Inactive

Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why remove the attenuator?
It was -12 something before that.

I seem to remember though that the general advice is not to get too worried about levels unless it's actually giving problems - might find the old modem is degraded somehow, and the SHUB will report happier figures - I think the modem was reporting a little low after they put the attenuator on (tested after the STB was replaced).

As for speeds, my M20 seems to have fallen to 5, and no, I haven't been bashing it hard enough to hit STM - reset the modem, and another speedtest peaked 10 before settling to 5 - maybe the old QAM64 I'm on is just not getting a fair share any more.

PS. I'll see if the SHUB does ok in router mode, as my router is only a basic N150. If not, there's always modem mode...
Old 07-08-2014, 01:35   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The attenuator should've reduced it (if it's a forward path attenuator).
Old 07-08-2014, 19:53   #7
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The attenuator should've reduced it (if it's a forward path attenuator).
Err yes it did reduce it

If you read his post again it was -12 with the attenuator fitted and -10 when removed.

That is kind of an increase in signal there by 2db
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 20:52   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I thought the same thing, I went downstairs to get tea and when I came back I had 4 emails with new posts from 4 different threads.
Old 07-08-2014, 21:07   #9
Matth
Inactive

Now it's -8.5 and 34.5dB SNR - I did see someone at the box the other day, maybe there was an overall adjustment of levels.

Speedtest.net hovers around 10 - I always used to bang the needle on 20 without fail - maybe everyone that hasn't been upgraded are all being dumped on this QAM64.
Old 07-08-2014, 21:25   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

na, qam64 is for the upstream and if anything it is good because it means your power levels have to be even tighter (i.e. networks has to keep everything well within spec). You need to get a tech out and get them to move your tap point.
Old 08-08-2014, 00:48   #11
Matth
Inactive

Would the modem log errors, or just slow down?

PS. Blam straight up to 20 when I selected a different test server a bit further away - guess the ones close to London may be congested.
I'll see what levels the SHUB reports.

My downstream is QAM64 - maybe a legacy from originally being on STB

Cable Modem DownstreamDownstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 5Downstream Frequency : 586750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM64Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17Downstream Receive Power Level : -10.7 dBmVDownstream SNR : 32.2 dB
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

you need a tech, snr is pants too
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

you defo need to get that looked at because I was under the impression that as of last year there weren't any areas on qam64 and everyone was not on qam256
Old 08-08-2014, 11:35   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

yeah seriously, in the time this thread was posted, a tech could have been and gone by now and the issue sorted.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:18   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quite correct Kush.