Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 3 Weeks to replace 5 metres of phone cable!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

3 Weeks to replace 5 metres of phone cable!

Old 13-04-2010, 17:20   #1
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
3 Weeks to replace 5 metres of phone cable!

I’ve got to say up until now we’ve always had good service from NTL/Virgin when there’s been a problem with the TV service. For the first time yesterday the phone went down. Call was booked for am, engineer turns up at 4pm, good start. Line tester showing no signal getting from the omnibox to the master socket, just over 5m of cable needing to be replaced. Engineer said we get a call between 8 – 9 the next morning to arrange to get it replaced. My father phoned the call centre just after 10, having heard nothing. The call centre said they would chase it up. Another two hours pass & still no response. So he calls again, and the call centre offer to fix a date there and then. The earliest date they can offer us is 29th (which is not convenient for us) so we now have to wait until 4th May to get our phone service back. They’ve agreed to suspend the line rental charges, but we now have to contact all our relatives/friends etc, and tell them to use our mobile numbers. Major inconvenience !
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2010, 18:22   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: 3 Weeks to replace 5 metres of phone cable !!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
I’ve got to say up until now we’ve always had good service from NTL/Virgin when there’s been a problem with the TV service. For the first time yesterday the phone went down. Call was booked for am, engineer turns up at 4pm, good start. Line tester showing no signal getting from the omnibox to the master socket, just over 5m of cable needing to be replaced. Engineer said we get a call between 8 – 9 the next morning to arrange to get it replaced. My father phoned the call centre just after 10, having heard nothing. The call centre said they would chase it up. Another two hours pass & still no response. So he calls again, and the call centre offer to fix a date there and then. The earliest date they can offer us is 29th (which is not convenient for us) so we now have to wait until 4th May to get our phone service back. They’ve agreed to suspend the line rental charges, but we now have to contact all our relatives/friends etc, and tell them to use our mobile numbers. Major inconvenience !
Must be being done as a SRO (Special Request Order)... I guess the tech wouldn't have the tools or the time to do anything there and then to replace cables... SRO's do have a longer lead time.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 19:24   #3
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Must be being done as a SRO (Special Request Order)... I guess the tech wouldn't have the tools or the time to do anything there and then to replace cables... SRO's do have a longer lead time.
in cases like this,if a sub would be left without service (only on telco), the tech would ring his principal tech to see if he can get him to do it earlier rather than waiting for the contract partner.(SRO).
he would have certainly had the tools,but as DF says probably not the time
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 21:36   #4
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all

I know that BT are forced to offer fixed compensation amounts for telephone outages that are their fault. The compensation is quite a tidy sum if you don't accept their offer to divert all calls to another number, such as your mobile. If you take the divert, the fixed comp is piddly.

Don't know if the same applies to other telephone providers like VM?
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 14:14   #5
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
I know that BT are forced to offer fixed compensation amounts for telephone outages that are their fault. The compensation is quite a tidy sum if you don't accept their offer to divert all calls to another number, such as your mobile. If you take the divert, the fixed comp is piddly.

Don't know if the same applies to other telephone providers like VM?
Are BT forced to compensate?

VM credit back your line rental in cases like this, but everyone is dealt with on a case by case basis.

It's up to the OP to speak to Customer Care when the line is back on.
Old 15-04-2010, 15:40   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: 3 Weeks to replace 5 metres of phone cable!

Don't VM offer to divert to another number? I have always found this a very useful aspect of BT's service (especially with the very long, exposed rural phone line that runs overhead for 4 miles between the exchange and us - we suffer outages more than most!)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 20:39   #7
Mnemnoch
Inactive

Mnemnoch is an unknown quantity at this point

If it were me I'd demand that it was sorted immediately, what happens to customers with no mobile phone, how would they contact the emergency services if the need arises?
Mnemnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 06:17   #8
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

I thought the cable used by VM was multipair? just in case the customer wanted an additional line at some point. I am assuming the tech didn't check to see if another pair was viable and if not, why not?
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 11:26   #9
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
I thought the cable used by VM was multipair? just in case the customer wanted an additional line at some point. I am assuming the tech didn't check to see if another pair was viable and if not, why not?
It is, but this is the internal wiring the OP has a problem with.
Old 18-04-2010, 12:28   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

This piece of cable is multicore and yes, the tech did try another pair without success. What bothers me is I've now been told replacing this cable might not solve the problem, as the fault could be anywhere between the master socket and the router 1/2 mile away.

Do the techs not have a test phone they can plug into my pair in the cab to see if it works back to the router? I would have thought a test like this would have been carried out at the original assesment. I also dread to think of the wait we might have if we need a re-pull to the cab, or will this be factored in when the contractor comes to replace and test the phone cable.

I'll call VM on monday and see if they'll set up a divert in the meantime.
Old 19-04-2010, 19:23   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Well, looks like calls can't be diverted either, as they can only be set up from the originating line. So looks like I'll have to live with it until May.
Old 19-04-2010, 21:47   #12
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: 3 Weeks to replace 5 metres of phone cable!

1 test should be done at the street cabs (this may differ in certain areas )then checked at the omni / etb box outside the house then at the master socket .What i have done in the past is to leave a temp cable in place just to give the customer a line if the lead time is high but everyone works different .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 17:24   #13
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Am I missing something here? They don't even know if the problem is on the cable between the cab and you? What the?

Check at master socket, is 50v present? if yes, then line is powered.
If no, check end of wire to master socket, is 50v present? if yes, change line socket.
If no go to next point in line (omni box on wall outside perhaps)
Is 50v present? if no, go to cab
Check line point in cabinet, is 50v present? if yes, repull cable to house.
If no then it's further back on the network, for a quick fix find a working, unused pair and have the line reassigned.

To check an unpowered line pair to the house, quick & dirty check, strip the ends of the pair and twist together at the house or the cabinet. Go to the other end and check for continuity, if you have continuity you have a viable pair.

Total time - about 10 minutes.

Sheesh.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 21:29   #14
calmpitbull
Inactive

calmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to all

If the line works ok at the omnibox and not at the master socket then the cable needs replacing between the two points. If the cable was only 5 metres long he should have done it there and then as it is an easy job.

If the cable is a big lone run all the way around the house then he may not have had time to do it there and then and should have made you an appointment for a re-wire SRO.
calmpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 19:43   #15
cotswoldconnecti
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity 2
cotswoldconnecti is an unknown quantity at this point

If youre desperate to get your phone working earlier then i would suggest you call a local independent telephone engineer who will fix the fault the same day. This is assuming the tech was correct and the wire is faulty between the master socket and the junction box outside your house and that there is dial tone present.
cotswoldconnecti is offline   Reply With Quote