Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:12   #2326
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What would you call it? I don't understand what it is you want to have separately.
A "Streaming services" sub-forum under "Other Digital TV Services Discussion" to go alongside the Freesat and Freeview ones.
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31   #2327
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
No, it's a single thread in which absolutely everything to do with streaming services and any related topics gets mushed up together, when it probably merits a whole separate board these days given how many services there are and how many people are using them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Keep it all in one thread, currently use Netflix, Amazon and Now TV and I prefer everything together so that I don't miss anything
Quote:
A "Streaming services" sub-forum under "Other Digital TV Services Discussion" to go alongside the Freesat and Freeview ones.
In the old days this is how forums were normally laid out, but the problem with this in the modern age is that people are using more than one service and/or provider.

The 'Coming Soon' thread often goes of topic because VM cable users get drawn into discussions about the other services that they now use in parallel eg Freesat for the missing FTA channels on VM, Now TV to access Sky Atlantic etc.

To add to the mix, the poll that I created shows that most people don't just stick to one streaming service provider either!

---------- Post added at 01:31 ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 ----------

What happens with streaming services when a programme or film is about to expire?

If you start watching a film, say, at 11.30pm that expires at midnight, does it cut you off or let you watch it until the end?

If the system crashed I imagine that you'd miss the ending, which would be very annoying.
Old 05-12-2015, 15:00   #2328
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Has anyone else also noticed how bad the sound is on the sd & hd versions of "Ash v Evil Dead"?
Old 05-12-2015, 17:17   #2329
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
Has anyone else also noticed how bad the sound is on the sd & hd versions of "Ash v Evil Dead"?
Perfect quality on Starz app mate i know it isn't uk or vm but it might help indicate there is a issue with VMs feed if any other VM users have same issue.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04   #2330
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Now that i have got the Now TV box 2015 version i have a few questions to you experts with them.

1. Is the box based on a Roku 2 or 3?

2. I believe it can be hacked via the developer menu?

3. If it can be hacked i heard i can side load 1 app only and alot of people side load the Plex app, if i did this could i somehow use my external Mybook World network drive with it without installing a Plex server on a PC that needs to be on all the time?

4. Can i hack the resolution to output in 1080p all the time in developer mode?

5. Does the USB port let me stream MKV and other content if i plug a memory stick into it?

6. Can i hack it to install the Roku firmware?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2015, 13:41   #2331
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

You sound a bit hacked off to me snoop.............
Old 06-12-2015, 14:58   #2332
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You sound a bit hacked off to me snoop.............
haha you made me chuckle there. good work sir
Old 06-12-2015, 17:45   #2333
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I need theone2k10 he knows his stuff.
Old 06-12-2015, 19:01   #2334
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Now that i have got the Now TV box 2015 version i have a few questions to you experts with them.

1. Is the box based on a Roku 2 or 3?

2. I believe it can be hacked via the developer menu?

3. If it can be hacked i heard i can side load 1 app only and alot of people side load the Plex app, if i did this could i somehow use my external Mybook World network drive with it without installing a Plex server on a PC that needs to be on all the time?

4. Can i hack the resolution to output in 1080p all the time in developer mode?

5. Does the USB port let me stream MKV and other content if i plug a memory stick into it?

6. Can i hack it to install the Roku firmware?

Thanks!
1. Is the box based on a Roku 2 or 3? I think it is ROKU 3

2. I believe it can be hacked via the developer menu? no but you can access the developer menu. https://recombu.com/digital/article/...ode-now-tv-box

3. If it can be hacked i heard i can side load 1 app only and alot of people side load the Plex app, if i did this could i somehow use my external Mybook World network drive with it without installing a Plex server on a PC that needs to be on all the time? plex will work not sure about mybook

4. Can i hack the resolution to output in 1080p all the time in developer mode? no

5. Does the USB port let me stream MKV and other content if i plug a memory stick into it? you would need to sideload a app apparantly to play anything of a usb device, i recommend just sideloading rarplex and use your computer as a media system or paying a extra £30 and getting a ROKU3 which will have more options and apps, rokus do have all uktv catch up services as well as netflix, amazon video, nowtv, sky store etc.

6. Can i hack it to install the Roku firmware? no.
Old 06-12-2015, 20:12   #2335
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
1. Is the box based on a Roku 2 or 3? I think it is ROKU 3

2. I believe it can be hacked via the developer menu? no but you can access the developer menu. https://recombu.com/digital/article/...ode-now-tv-box

3. If it can be hacked i heard i can side load 1 app only and alot of people side load the Plex app, if i did this could i somehow use my external Mybook World network drive with it without installing a Plex server on a PC that needs to be on all the time? plex will work not sure about mybook

4. Can i hack the resolution to output in 1080p all the time in developer mode? no

5. Does the USB port let me stream MKV and other content if i plug a memory stick into it? you would need to sideload a app apparantly to play anything of a usb device, i recommend just sideloading rarplex and use your computer as a media system or paying a extra £30 and getting a ROKU3 which will have more options and apps, rokus do have all uktv catch up services as well as netflix, amazon video, nowtv, sky store etc.

6. Can i hack it to install the Roku firmware? no.
Thanks for the info much appreciated! The box is in the bedroom so may not use it much, i was just after the 6 months entertainment pass for £19.99 that just happened to come with the box, got 6 months to mess with it on the Xbox One and 2 weeks of free Sky movies for over the Christmas period, but then i usually just get my stuff off newsgroups in a few mins.
Old 08-12-2015, 20:23   #2336
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Amazon.com's new add-on content bundles seem to be heavily targeting cable TV subscribers: http://www.aftvnews.com/summary-of-a...content-count/

Wonder when this will come to the UK and which companies here would offer bundles on it.
Old 08-12-2015, 21:07   #2337
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Amazon.com's new add-on content bundles seem to be heavily targeting cable TV subscribers: http://www.aftvnews.com/summary-of-a...content-count/

Wonder when this will come to the UK and which companies here would offer bundles on it.
Not sure it will be a massive hit , seems a little pricey.
Old 08-12-2015, 21:18   #2338
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Indeed MM.....
Old 09-12-2015, 00:35   #2339
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

But it gives choice....

A long time ago I lobbied ntl to have smaller channel packages or choose your channels a al carte style, which they ignored.

Perhaps these Amazon packages are expensive, perhaps have little content, but it will push the US cablecos, telcos and satcos to be more flexible in their channel packages. When (if) Amazon/Netlix then introduce this here, it will make VM/Sky/BT take note and look again at more flexible options.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:37   #2340
steveh
Inactive

Precisely. The current packages are content owners dipping a toe in to see whether there is mileage in the idea - for example Comedy Central are right now only offering a limited subset of what they have. For high quality streams delivered from Amazon's servers and no ads I'd certainly be interested if the packages were right. There have also been rumours that Amazon plans to offer live channels in the very near future.
Closed Thread