Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Info request about the V6 and upgrading.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Info request about the V6 and upgrading.

Old 14-02-2017, 00:05   #1
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Info request about the V6 and upgrading.

So it's coming up to the time when i'm going to be out of contract and i've been looking at the bundle builder to see what is on offer and have a few of questions.

I curently have a TiVo 500gb and a VHD, talk weekends and 100Mb internet. Can I swap the VHD for a V6?

If I stay with my curent equipment how much would I be charged for the VHD each month?

I've heard that the V6 doesn't have a dedicated internet connection like the TiVo does, does this mean that it has to be connected to a router via an ethernet connection to access on demand content, etc?

Can the series links form the TiVo be copied over to the V6?

I am willing to increase my internet speed if needed.

Cheers in advance.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2017, 00:28   #2
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Info request about the V6 and upgrading.

I'm in a similar situation to you mate, my SH is approx 10 metres away from my TV, and i'm not convinced that the V6 will get a proper signal all the time to work as it should.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 11:07   #3
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
So it's coming up to the time when i'm going to be out of contract and i've been looking at the bundle builder to see what is on offer and have a few of questions.

I curently have a TiVo 500gb and a VHD, talk weekends and 100Mb internet. Can I swap the VHD for a V6?

If I stay with my curent equipment how much would I be charged for the VHD each month?

I've heard that the V6 doesn't have a dedicated internet connection like the TiVo does, does this mean that it has to be connected to a router via an ethernet connection to access on demand content, etc?

Cheers in advance.
I recommend you call 150 with your questions for definitive answers as the online Bundle Builder is I think just for new customers. You may be pleasantly surprised
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 11:51   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm in a similar situation to you mate, my SH is approx 10 metres away from my TV, and i'm not convinced that the V6 will get a proper signal all the time to work as it should.
I don't think you need to worry. My superhub is 33 metres away and upstairs from the lounge V6. I also have a second Tivo in an upstairs bedroom and the superhub is in the bedroom next door, about 30m away but on the same level. We also have walls which are mighty difficult to drill through, but both Tivos and our tablets, phones, etc all work just fine.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post

Cheers in advance.
As nialli has said, it's best to get a quote from Customer Services as they may be able to give you a nice price!

The V6 works very well with wifi in most cases but you will need to upgrade to a 200MB superhub, which should be without extra charge.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 21:11   #5
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Are you a rich dude that lives in a castle OB..........
Old 15-02-2017, 07:01   #6
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The V6 works very well with wifi in most cases but you will need to upgrade to a 200MB superhub, which should be without extra charge.
You can get a V6 on 100Mb as well according to the info on this page http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/v6.html so I shouldn't have to upgrade my speed and I already amon a qualifying tv package.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 08:18   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Don't you know he lives next to the opulent palace of our most revered MM.
Old 15-02-2017, 11:32   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Whoops, sorry - forgot my decimal place! I meant 3.3 metres, not 33!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 19:41   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Whoops, sorry - forgot my decimal place! I meant 3.3 metres, not 33!

Righty oh then well i'm still not convinced enough to get a V6, as I have said my SH is approx 10 Metres away, and I have no intention of moving it, so would the engineer be able to run the required cable from my SH this distance, or would that be too far?
Old 15-02-2017, 20:06   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Righty oh then well i'm still not convinced enough to get a V6, as I have said my SH is approx 10 Metres away, and I have no intention of moving it, so would the engineer be able to run the required cable from my SH this distance, or would that be too far?
They don't have long Ethernet leads. It'd have to be either Wi-Fi or Powerline. Or I suppose you could provide your own cable.

The distance itself isn't much of a problem for Wi-Fi. It's what is has to go through that matters. (I have a Wi-Fi connected camera at the end of the garden that's about 30m from the router, but it doesn't have to go through any walls, just a window)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 21:21   #11
BULLROOT
cf.member

BULLROOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question for you guys - currently on a mates rates deal with no equipment upgraded since signup in June 2010 - using a Samsung V+HD box on main TV and a smaller Cisco V Box on smaller TV - checked online to see what upgrades are available and can get the new V6 box for 14.99 plus engineer install costs(??) - Kids are torturing me to get Netflix - how much would this be?? and is the V6 worth upgrading to??
BULLROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 00:54   #12
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Kids are torturing me to get Netflix - how much would this be??
If it's Netflix that you are talking about re costs, well why don't you visit their site and find out how much it is.