Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 27-02-2017, 16:42   #211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Perhaps you've been lucky with your V6s.... you can't refute one anecdotal piece of evidence with another but I had 4 legacy boxes with only one that needed restarted (i.e. crashed) the other 3 just ran non-top.

The new boxes seems to be repeating similar early issues as the legacy box did (wonder when they digital out will start playing up) but aside from any issues can we really say a fully operational V6 is far superior to a fully working legacy box?

Apart from the performance issues which should't be there in the first place and perhaps its smaller form factor the V6 is pretty much the same box. The V6 is a better experience yes but simply because I'm not questioning myself as to whether I've actually pressed a button on the remote, I'd not go overboard with the hyperbole because of this, mainly because the V6 level of performance should be the baseline for the legacy box.

With regard to the black screen issue i'm pretty sure what I experience is similar to that of a know issue and I have adjusted the power saving settings and have introduced a delay in switching on the V6 to make sure all the required devices in the signal flow are on before the V6 is turned on to discount any HDMI handshake issues but still get it every so often and every so often it gets stuck in "Waking Up" if it has been turned off. I'll learn to live with it as the start up following a poweroff and on isn't too long

With regard to the noise it's not an amplification of a vibration by the unit it is on. It's the actually disk spinning that;s producing the nouse short of opening up the box and adding some noise suppression I'm kind of stuck with it. Be a pretty good tool for producing a form of pink noise for setting up an EQ though.
Yes, it is far superior in my view. The fact that I can have two boxes in different rooms, connected by wifi only, and able to play recordings on the other box, is fantastic. It is lightning fast and loads all the apps extremely quickly, with no buffering. The picture is superb and with twelve tuners (6 on each), recording clashes are a thing of the past.

I think we would have seen far more complaints if the V6 was not all it's cracked up to be and riddled with bugs. However, the fact is that the number of bugs is comparatively few and no big deal really, whereas some of us were ready to throw the old Tivos out of the window.

Sorry to hear yours is noisy; if it's bad enough to be disruptive, perhaps they will change it. As I said earlier, we can't hear ours, and one of them is in the bedroom, so if it made a noise it would be noticeable in the quiet of the night.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2017, 17:18   #212
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, it is far superior in my view. The fact that I can have two boxes in different rooms, connected by wifi only, and able to play recordings on the other box, is fantastic. It is lightning fast and loads all the apps extremely quickly, with no buffering. The picture is superb and with twelve tuners (6 on each), recording clashes are a thing of the past.
You've pretty much described what I had in November 2012 with my legacy TiVos minus the extra tuners and the app loading speed.

I've perhaps muddied my point by highlighting what I'm not happy with.

But I'll re-iterate again; If I take a working legacy TiVo box and a working V6 and draw a comparison, ignoring any issues with either, I don't find the V6 far superior, it's a better experience but it should be the least we should expect. I see the V6 as a costly hardware solution to a software problem....but I'd still recommend it to anyone thinking of upgrading but more to get people onto an expected level of performance as opposed to take them to the next level of TV entertainment (and I'll fully acknowledge the former may be more than enough for most).

What I would concede is the performance is far superior to the legacy boxes as they are now but it's just frustrating they let the legacy boxes get so bad.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:39   #213
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later.

I have had my two V6 boxes for over four weeks now and they have performed without a single glitch but yesterday evening two programmes failed to record. Checking in Recording Hiccups the reason for this failure was 'Power Lost' but this is unconvincing seeing as I was able to view live TV during this supposed loss of power.

Is this a new bug or has anyone else experienced this?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 20:10   #214
daz100
Inactive

daz100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Series link will not record person of interest, emerald city no matter what I set it never picks up the episodes. I'm not sure why as there are no clashes.
daz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:23   #215
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz100 View Post
Series link will not record person of interest, emerald city no matter what I set it never picks up the episodes. I'm not sure why as there are no clashes.
My TiVo V6 is currently recording Person of Interest. What channel do you have it set to? It has moved from 5 to 5 USA for this season.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:35   #216
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
My TiVo V6 is currently recording Person of Interest. What channel do you have it set to? It has moved from 5 to 5 USA for this season.
That's probably the reason. I had to re-set my series link from Sky Living to Sky 1 when they unexpecredly changed the channel on which this programme was broadcast. It was mid-season when this happened, as well.
Old 06-03-2017, 13:52   #217
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Remember you can set a Series Link to All Channels, and with the additional options of targeting a specific season / series of a show in addition to the choice as to whether to only record new shows, you should be able to ensure any channel changes don't mean missing episdoes.
Old 06-03-2017, 14:11   #218
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Remember you can set a Series Link to All Channels, and with the additional options of targeting a specific season / series of a show in addition to the choice as to whether to only record new shows, you should be able to ensure any channel changes don't mean missing episdoes.
Good plan, Ben, thank you! The only problem is that you can't do this through 'Settings'; only programme by programme, which is tedious.
Old 08-03-2017, 13:00   #219
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?

This happened with my recording of Man Utd v Bournemouth (on sky sports) the other day.

I think the answer to your question is there was a preview program then the match from kick-off (this was certainly the case with MU v Bourne).

This is an annoying change to how live games are broadcast (not sure why they do it either) - this used to occur on an occasional basis a few years ago.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 00:52   #220
daz100
Inactive

daz100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
I figured it out I had flagged HD only and so it hadn't picked it up.
daz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 13:34   #221
Daz555
Inactive

Daz555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our V6 crashes and reboots perhaps once every 10 to 12 days ish.

Also, there is an episode of Neighbours (yes yes I know) on our V6 which causes the box to crash and reboot every single time at exactly the same moment in the programme.
Daz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 14:43   #222
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz555 View Post
Our V6 crashes and reboots perhaps once every 10 to 12 days ish.

Also, there is an episode of Neighbours (yes yes I know) on our V6 which causes the box to crash and reboot every single time at exactly the same moment in the programme.
It's an intelligent box, Daz. Clearly, this episode is beyond the pale and your V6 loses the reason to live artificially.

May I suggest that you stop watching that particular episode?
Old 12-03-2017, 18:43   #223
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Yesterday, the dreaded spinning purple circle made a reappearance a few times.

It wasn't as bad as the old TiVo, but worrying nevertheless.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:35   #224
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

The only problem I get is when I switch on the box, I get no sound until I change channel. I have disabled any power saving and I connect to my amplifier through optical.

It's a minor annoyance but not a deal breaker.
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:53   #225
knack
Inactive

knack is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have time to read back just now to see if this has been reported but I'm recording the rugby which includes two back to back programmes on BBC One with a couple of minutes added at start and end of recording. When the second recording started the box froze. It rebooted a few minutes later (perhaps when the first recording stopped).
knack is offline   Reply With Quote