Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 23-03-2017, 15:03   #46
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Judging by BenMcr previous responses here and in the VM community - if you go into Modem mode (or shut off the 2.4Ghz wireless), you will opt yourself out (and not be able to blag your neighbours wi-fi),whether you have done it thru MyVM or not.

Interesting whether this applies to SHUB/SHUB2/SHUB2ac that dont currently have the abililty to offer access in the first place.
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2017, 15:12   #47
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No, it doesn't apply apply to a 1 / 2 / or 2ac as they aren't currently capable of being part of the Virgin Media WiFi network.
Old 23-03-2017, 15:43   #48
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

So the whole putting your router into modem mode being automatically out is a terrible idea.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:53   #49
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
So the whole putting your router into modem mode being automatically out is a terrible idea.
I don't think this is deliberate, I think it's more of a technical limitation of how Modem mode works.

I won't be putting my hub back into router mode any time soon, but I'd have been more than happy for it to broadcast the Virgin public Wifi network while IN modem mode. I just don't think it's feasible from Virgin's end.

Shame it locks us out, really.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 16:12   #50
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I don't think this is deliberate, I think it's more of a technical limitation of how Modem mode works.

I won't be putting my hub back into router mode any time soon, but I'd have been more than happy for it to broadcast the Virgin public Wifi network while IN modem mode. I just don't think it's feasible from Virgin's end.

Agreed, I'd be happy to broadcast too but not at the expense of losing modem mode.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 22:20   #51
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:

It's more than capable of handling it. Modem mode is just a software config that disables a few features that could just as easily be enabled for the wifi service whilst leaving the one enabled LAN port router-less.

Unless of course the DHCP, routing and other services on the customer side are shared by the public wifi side, which would be worrying from a security perspective.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:38   #52
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:

I guess what I mean is that if they allow you to use the WiFi if you're on a 2, 2ac even though you're not sharing (because it's out of your control). They should honor the same for those who want to use their own equipment. Might I add, if the Hub 3 was up to doing the tasks of my needs, then I wouldn't need to use another router.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 18:42   #53
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.
No it wouldn't, technology is sufficiently advanced that the antenna could be placed inside the cabinet. BT do this in areas around London, from their roadside cabinets and phone boxes. If the antenna is fixed inside the cabinet no additional planning permission would be needed and even then were it placed outside it would likely not require enhanced permission either.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 21:07   #54
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Up View Post
No it wouldn't, technology is sufficiently advanced that the antenna could be placed inside the cabinet. BT do this in areas around London, from their roadside cabinets and phone boxes. If the antenna is fixed inside the cabinet no additional planning permission would be needed and even then were it placed outside it would likely not require enhanced permission either.
Try getting a signal out of a shielded steel box.

And do you think local yobs would ignore a small aerial sticking out of the top of a street cabinet? No, they would have to be raised out of harm's way, and that would require a pole or mast. And that would require planning permission. My background include several years in the Home Office Directorate of Telecommunications, where questions like this were commonplace.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 01:30   #55
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets see if I got this correct then...If I allow VM to use my Hub for outside Wi-Fi I can use on Virgin Media Mobile.

I NOT on virgin media mobile. I on Tesco, can I still use it if I allow my Hub.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 08:19   #56
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Anyone with either Virgin Media broadband or a Virgin Media mobile SIM can use Virgin Media WiFi on a compatible device by downloading the Virgin Media WiFi app.

If you have a Virgin Media SIM, then access is authorised in the app via the SIM in your device.

For Virgin Media broadband customers it's authorised in the app via your My Virgin Media login. This means as a broadband customer you can use it with mobile devices from other mobile providers.

If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer with a Hub 3.0, you have to have you Hub 3.0 in router mode, and opted in as part of the Virgin Media WiFi network (if given the choice) in order to use the Virgin Media WiFi service.
Old 30-03-2017, 12:14   #57
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer with a Hub 3.0, you have to have you Hub 3.0 in router mode, and opted in as part of the Virgin Media WiFi network (if given the choice) in order to use the Virgin Media WiFi service.
And if you haven't got a hub 3 you won't be able to use this service?
Surely not the customers fault if they haven't , they pay the same ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:16   #58
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Where did I say that? Any broadband customer can use the service as long as they can install the app on their device.

Broadband customers with a Hub 3.0 have an additional requirement to have their kit opted in to broadcasting the Virgin Media WiFi wireless network.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed several times on this thread.
Old 30-03-2017, 15:16   #59
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Where did I say that? Any broadband customer can use the service as long as they can install the app on their device.

Broadband customers with a Hub 3.0 have an additional requirement to have their kit opted in to broadcasting the Virgin Media WiFi wireless network.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed several times on this thread.
And in router mode yeah? It's a bit unfair we don't have the option if we're in modem mode... once again that's not our fault if Virgin can't make it work in some kind of hybrid router/modem mode.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 15:36   #60
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes, sorry I said that above, but not in reply.

The requirements to use Virgin Media WiFi when you have a Hub 3.0 are:

Opted in
In Router Mode
2.4GHz switched on

If or when the 2ac is added to the wireless network these requirements would apply to customers with the 2ac as well.

All Hub 3.0 customers have or will get information that explains the addition of their Hub 3.0 to Virgin Media WiFi.

Last edited by BenMcr; 30-03-2017 at 15:41.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote