Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Marine killer deserves clemency

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Marine killer deserves clemency

Old 10-11-2013, 13:00   #61
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Marine killer deserves clemency

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
You mean the innocent people that had intentions to shoot and blow up British soldiers

Don't suppose your oirish are you
Which intentions were these? Are these "intentions" which you, like the troops on the day, have mistakenly assumed / alleged and which the Bloody Sunday inquiry found no proof of?
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2013, 13:20   #62
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
Which intentions were these? Are these "intentions" which you, like the troops on the day, have mistakenly assumed / alleged and which the Bloody Sunday inquiry found no proof of?
Intentions such as IRA snipers in place before the march ,the probability of Martin McGuinness supplying detonators for nail bombs on the day of the march and carrying a machine gun (evidenced in the saville enquiry).Make no mistake that day was always going to end badly either because of the British troops or the IRA
Old 10-11-2013, 13:38   #63
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

It has to be said that Mr Angry certainly knows how to make a memorable return

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Quote:
I'm simply pointing out the fact that the British army has murdered it's own unarmed subjects and fellow travellers on the streets of it's own cities. As such this shouldn't really surprise people, should it?
I know what it is you're saying and I agree in principle but I have to point out that you are mistake in that comment - the British Army didn't kill unarmed subjects, a number of soldiers did. It could be argued as semantics but I say the two are a world's difference.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:52   #64
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Intentions such as IRA snipers in place before the march ,the probability of Martin McGuinness supplying detonators for nail bombs on the day of the march and carrying a machine gun (evidenced in the saville enquiry).Make no mistake that day was always going to end badly either because of the British troops or the IRA
Marty, You'd do well to read the overview of the findings again. Here is David Camerons speech.

It makes no reference to any "probability of Martin McGuinness supplying detonators for nail bombs on the day of the march...".

What David Cameron does say (quoting the report findings) is "In each case, the findings are clear. It does the same for Martin McGuinness. It specifically finds he was present and probably armed with a sub-machine gun but it concludes, and I quote, "we're sure that he did not engage in any activity that provided any of the soldiers with any justification for opening fire".

Yes, the day did "end badly". Innocent civilians were gunned down in cold blood by members of the British army. Whilst you may wish to argue the contrary your Prime Minister stated "There is no doubt, there is nothing equivocal, there are no ambiguities. What happened on Bloody Sunday was both unjustified and unjustifiable. It was wrong".

There was no intention on the part of any of the victims who were shot dead "For those looking for statements of innocence, Saville says that the immediate responsibility for the deaths and injuries on Bloody Sunday lies with those members of support company whose unjustifiable firing was the cause of those deaths and injuries. Crucially, that, and I quote, none of the casualties was posing a threat of causing death or serious injury or indeed was doing anything else that could, on any view, justified in shooting."

You appear to be prepared to attempt to somehow excuse or defend the actions of the soldiers on that day. David Cameron takes a very different view whereby he states unequivocally "You do not defend the British Army by defending the indefensible".

Wise words indeed.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:57   #65
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
B.

However, if I had a wounded terrorist who had been shooting at me, Probably A.

I don't consider killing a terrorists a crime. The SAS has the only 100% cure for these people.
I do not either but the law of the land sees it differently and we all have to abide by the law of the land or suffer the consequences whether you agree with them or not. Why should this man get preferential treatment? he should not imo

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Our forces are out there fighting an enemy that has no rules of conduct. They'll happily kill men, women, children in any way they can without compunction and do not deserve, IMHO, the protection of the Geneva Convention. I think circumstances such as these need to be heavily borne in mind when deciding these matters. It'd be ironic in the extreme if any of our forces were lost affording such an enemy a protection they clearly don't deserve or believe in.
you can not have a law and then say it does not apply it is then a war crime . Saddam was hung for not obeying the law various AQ leaders including OBL have been targeted for not obeying international law. How can you fight on the side of that law then say it does not apply because the enemy which we are fighting because of breaches to this law do not follow it???

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Quote:
No it doesn't surprise anyone and we are all aware that these things happen ,the difference ,and it is a massive difference,is we hold ourselves accountable when it happens as we are doing now .
how can you say we hold ourselves accountable then say the geneva convention should not apply to others???
Old 10-11-2013, 14:23   #66
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Marty, You'd do well to read the overview of the findings again. Here is David Camerons speech.

It makes no reference to any "probability of Martin McGuinness supplying detonators for nail bombs on the day of the march...".

What David Cameron does say (quoting the report findings) is "In each case, the findings are clear. It does the same for Martin McGuinness. It specifically finds he was present and probably armed with a sub-machine gun but it concludes, and I quote, "we're sure that he did not engage in any activity that provided any of the soldiers with any justification for opening fire".

Yes, the day did "end badly". Innocent civilians were gunned down in cold blood by members of the British army. Whilst you may wish to argue the contrary your Prime Minister stated "There is no doubt, there is nothing equivocal, there are no ambiguities. What happened on Bloody Sunday was both unjustified and unjustifiable. It was wrong".

You appear to be prepared to attempt to somehow excuse or defend the actions of the soldiers on that day. David Cameron takes a very different view whereby he states unequivocally "You do not defend the British Army by defending the indefensible".

Wise words indeed.
Which is exactly what i said in response to your statement of "which intentions" ,i think that answers your question .The IRA had every intention of turning that day into a very bad day for British troops and civilians ,the problem was that the soldiers being on edge,nervous ,scared or whatever opened fire first ,and yes i will defend the actions of the soldiers up to a point ,the same as you seem prepared to defend people fully prepared to blow the crap out of the soldiers

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I do not either but the law of the land sees it differently and we all have to abide by the law of the land or suffer the consequences whether you agree with them or not. Why should this man get preferential treatment? he should not imo

Marine A is not getting preferential treatment ,he has been court martialled for murder and found guilty .However his sentencing should bear in mind any extenuating circumstances the same as any sentencing in civvy would .War is a unique environment and comparing it to civvy street is ridiculous ,in some cases committing a relatively minor offence like theft will get you hard jail time because you wear a uniform instead of community service or a slap on the wrist because you wear a hoodie,do you think that fair
Old 10-11-2013, 14:43   #67
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I reckon that our forces, for by far the most part, treat their captured enemies with a great deal more respect than the terrorists ever do when the roles are reversed. In an imperfect world, fighting an enemy that will stop at nothing, that's something to be proud of and nothing which was done in N. Ireland or anywhere else alters that.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:52   #68
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
No, & we didn't all have 2 way radio communication or bullet proof vests either M8.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Yes.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Your right. It is an arrogant opinion. Whenever I read posts like this, I picture myself in that position. Whenever a situation arises, a soldier needs to be forceful, aggressive, sometimes compassionate.

So here`s a situation. Your in Bosnia. People are dying everywhere. War crimes, murder, Genocide. Your with the U.N. You give some kids (about 8 years old) your sweets & chocolate, then some big bruiser comes out, punches the child's head, knocks her out, kicks her whilst on the ground, & takes the sweets. What do you do.

A. Shoot him.
B. Rifle butt him, & give him a good kicking.
C. Drive on.

A if I can get away with it, B as a minimum

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 15:37   #69
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Which is exactly what i said in response to your statement of "which intentions" ,i think that answers your question .The IRA had every intention of turning that day into a very bad day for British troops and civilians ,the problem was that the soldiers being on edge,nervous ,scared or whatever opened fire first ,and yes i will defend the actions of the soldiers up to a point ,the same as you seem prepared to defend people fully prepared to blow the crap out of the soldiers

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Marine A is not getting preferential treatment ,he has been court martialled for murder and found guilty .However his sentencing should bear in mind any extenuating circumstances the same as any sentencing in civvy would .War is a unique environment and comparing it to civvy street is ridiculous ,in some cases committing a relatively minor offence like theft will get you hard jail time because you wear a uniform instead of community service or a slap on the wrist because you wear a hoodie,do you think that fair

no but some here want him to

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

I reckon that our forces, for by far the most part, treat their captured enemies with a great deal more respect than the terrorists ever do when the roles are reversed. In an imperfect world, fighting an enemy that will stop at nothing, that's something to be proud of and nothing which was done in N. Ireland or anywhere else alters that.
and the most part doing right does not alter the fact that some including bloody Sunday did wrong

Just to clarify my position here. I do not think what Marine A did was wrong I am all for blowing away all terrorists. My point is I do not think they should be treated differently in law the fact the law is wrong imo is not relevant
Old 10-11-2013, 17:02   #70
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I always thought the only rule of war was to kill the enemy.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:33   #71
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

I know others have different opinions than me, & I would respect that opinion, provided the person has been & seen the same as me. Mr Angry, how many years have we had differing opinions re N.I.? Paratroopers are not street cops, they are highly trained & motivated shock troops. We train these men for front line action requiring overwhelming firepower & surprise.

It was stupid to put them on the street that day. It was a recipe for disaster. I believe I told you the same a while ago, we all knew they wouldn't take ****. I was a 20 year old lad on rapid reaction when the crap hit the fan.

Although N.I. & Iraq etc are different, clothes, culture, religion, abodes, country, etc, they share one fact, insurgents don't wear a uniform. So, who is the enemy?? They both detonate explosives, both kill their own people, women & children, to kill a soldier.

It is extremely difficult to keep an open mind when you see the bodies of your mates, or the aftermath of a bombing. I believe its a credit to most soldiers that they don't seek revenge, but, back on topic, this Marine broke the rules & he will pay the price. But allowance should be made, because he was trained to kill, without compassion, by his government.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 18:17   #72
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I always thought the only rule of war was to kill the enemy.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:
I know others have different opinions than me, & I would respect that opinion, provided the person has been & seen the same as me. Mr Angry, how many years have we had differing opinions re N.I.? Paratroopers are not street cops, they are highly trained & motivated shock troops. We train these men for front line action requiring overwhelming firepower & surprise.

It was stupid to put them on the street that day. It was a recipe for disaster. I believe I told you the same a while ago, we all knew they wouldn't take ****. I was a 20 year old lad on rapid reaction when the crap hit the fan.

Although N.I. & Iraq etc are different, clothes, culture, religion, abodes, country, etc, they share one fact, insurgents don't wear a uniform. So, who is the enemy?? They both detonate explosives, both kill their own people, women & children, to kill a soldier.

It is extremely difficult to keep an open mind when you see the bodies of your mates, or the aftermath of a bombing. I believe its a credit to most soldiers that they don't seek revenge, but, back on topic, this Marine broke the rules & he will pay the price. But allowance should be made, because he was trained to kill, without compassion, by his government.
And those who are quick to condemn him will never understand that if they have never served and put there neck on the line.

How many here are condemning this soldier when they have never served and therefor will never ever understand what it is like to put yourself in the position he was in, Weeks and weeks watching your mates die by people who don't give a toss for the Geneva convention in the first sodding place.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
no but some here want him to

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 18:17   #73
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

How many here are condemning this soldier when they have never served and therefor will never ever understand what it is like to put yourself in the position he was in where you are watching your mates die by people who don't give a toss for the Geneva convention in the first sodding place.
Absolutely true but that isn't justification for a two-tier legal system.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:20   #74
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Excellent post.

Yes he will pay the price and still be condemned by some here but had he been a terrorist he'd be a hero to those he represented.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

And those who are quick to condemn him will never understand that if they have never served and put there neck on the line.

How many here are condemning this soldier when they have never served and therefor will never ever understand what it is like to put yourself in the position he was in, Weeks and weeks watching your mates die by people who don't give a toss for the Geneva convention in the first sodding place.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Well said!

Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:32   #75
tizmeinnit

and those of you that have served have to understand that does not give you special rights to do what you want in law. The law may well be wrong but it does not give you the god given right to special treatment