Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Marine killer deserves clemency

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Marine killer deserves clemency

Old 09-11-2013, 22:58   #46
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Marine killer deserves clemency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes, it is murder but murder on the battlefield isn't the same as murder in a civilian context. It shouldn't be condoned or overlooked but the difference should be understood. I'd hate to think that in similar circumstances in the future, one of our soldiers hesitates because of this case and more of our brave forces are killed/maimed.
That's more worrying ,the wounded taliban could easily have been holding a grenade and knowing he would most likely die anyway or simply take the chance to martyr themselves and take some Brit soldiers with him
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2013, 23:11   #47
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
lets be honest it has probably happened lots and lots of times only this time some Richard filmed it
Indeed

To be honest they should ban soldiers from carrying those headcams. We did not carry cameras on patrols in NI as a general rule.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 00:19   #48
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Indeed

To be honest they should ban soldiers from carrying those headcams. We did not carry cameras on patrols in NI as a general rule.
No, & we didn't all have 2 way radio communication or bullet proof vests either M8.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:
lets be honest it has probably happened lots and lots of times only this time some Richard filmed it
Yes.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:
That is a very arrogant opinion although in the most part I agree with what you say however the level of his training as you lay out is just down from special forces if he can not do it right then there is something wrong imo
Your right. It is an arrogant opinion. Whenever I read posts like this, I picture myself in that position. Whenever a situation arises, a soldier needs to be forceful, aggressive, sometimes compassionate.

So here`s a situation. Your in Bosnia. People are dying everywhere. War crimes, murder, Genocide. Your with the U.N. You give some kids (about 8 years old) your sweets & chocolate, then some big bruiser comes out, punches the child's head, knocks her out, kicks her whilst on the ground, & takes the sweets. What do you do.

A. Shoot him.
B. Rifle butt him, & give him a good kicking.
C. Drive on.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 00:42   #49
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
No, & we didn't all have 2 way radio communication or bullet proof vests either M8.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Yes.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Your right. It is an arrogant opinion. Whenever I read posts like this, I picture myself in that position. Whenever a situation arises, a soldier needs to be forceful, aggressive, sometimes compassionate.

So here`s a situation. Your in Bosnia. People are dying everywhere. War crimes, murder, Genocide. Your with the U.N. You give some kids (about 8 years old) your sweets & chocolate, then some big bruiser comes out, punches the child's head, knocks her out, kicks her whilst on the ground, & takes the sweets. What do you do.

A. Shoot him.
B. Rifle butt him, & give him a good kicking.
C. Drive on.
Dude this guy committed a crime he got caught that is bad luck he has to take the punishment. What did you do?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29   #50
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Dude this guy committed a crime he got caught that is bad luck he has to take the punishment. What did you do?
B.

However, if I had a wounded terrorist who had been shooting at me, Probably A.

I don't consider killing a terrorists a crime. The SAS has the only 100% cure for these people.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34   #51
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
That's more worrying ,the wounded taliban could easily have been holding a grenade and knowing he would most likely die anyway or simply take the chance to martyr themselves and take some Brit soldiers with him
Our forces are out there fighting an enemy that has no rules of conduct. They'll happily kill men, women, children in any way they can without compunction and do not deserve, IMHO, the protection of the Geneva Convention. I think circumstances such as these need to be heavily borne in mind when deciding these matters. It'd be ironic in the extreme if any of our forces were lost affording such an enemy a protection they clearly don't deserve or believe in.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38   #52
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Our forces are out there fighting an enemy that has no rules of conduct. They'll happily kill men, women, children in any way they can without compunction and do not deserve, IMHO, the protection of the Geneva Convention. I think circumstances such as these need to be heavily borne in mind when deciding these matters. It'd be ironic in the extreme if any of our forces were lost affording such an enemy a protection they clearly don't deserve or believe in.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:51   #53
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Our forces are out there fighting an enemy that has no rules of conduct. They'll happily kill men, women, children in any way they can without compunction and do not deserve, IMHO, the protection of the Geneva Convention.
Yes, we've seen that.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14   #54
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

They did it happily did they? Planned it? Enjoyed it? Had no regrets whatsoever? It was deliberate policy engrained in their MO just like the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the like. Makes you wonder why they didn't start emulating the IRA's tactics, they'd have been able to kill so many more innocents that way...
Old 10-11-2013, 12:17   #55
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
Yes, we've seen that.
Rather a pathetic attempt to have a crack at British troops .You simply cannot compare the two scenarios
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23   #56
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Rather a pathetic attempt to have a crack at British troops .You simply cannot compare the two scenarios
Some folks clearly can for reasons best known to themselves and they're not worth trying to debate with. I will never equate how the vast majority of our troops behave with the likes of Al-Qaeda, the Taliban or any other terrorists for that matter.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40   #57
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

It's a rather uncomfortable fact though that armies, of whatever hue, are capable of atrocities. I'm simply pointing out the fact that the British army has murdered it's own unarmed subjects and fellow travellers on the streets of it's own cities. As such this shouldn't really surprise people, should it?

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
I'm not having "a crack" at anyone, I'm referencing an instance where soldiers gunned down innocent people. Yes, you're right you cannot compare the two scenarios. Not least because none of the civilians shot dead on Bloody Sunday were armed combatants or engaged in armed conflict when they were gunned down.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:45   #58
martyh

Quote:
It's a rather uncomfortable fact though that armies, of whatever hue, are capable of atrocities. I'm simply pointing out the fact that the British army has murdered it's own unarmed subjects and fellow travellers on the streets of it's own cities. As such this shouldn't really surprise people, should it?
No it doesn't surprise anyone and we are all aware that these things happen ,the difference ,and it is a massive difference,is we hold ourselves accountable when it happens as we are doing now .
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46   #59
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
They did it happily did they? Planned it? Enjoyed it? Had no regrets whatsoever? It was deliberate policy engrained in their MO just like the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the like. Makes you wonder why they didn't start emulating the IRA's tactics, they'd have been able to kill so many more innocents that way...

Irresepective of whether they planned, enjoyed or regretted it they did it and that's a fact. I'll tell you what Osem, for not having emulated the tactics of the IRA they haven't done too bad at murdering innocents in their tens if not hundreds of thousands. Ask anyone living in Iraq or Afghanistan.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Quote:
No it doesn't surprise anyone and we are all aware that these things happen ,the difference ,and it is a massive difference,is we hold ourselves accountable when it happens as we are doing now .
Fair point.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:53   #60
martyh

Quote:

I'm not having "a crack" at anyone, I'm referencing an instance where soldiers gunned down innocent people. Yes, you're right you cannot compare the two scenarios. Not least because none of the civilians shot dead on Bloody Sunday were armed combatants or engaged in armed conflict when they were gunned down.
You mean the innocent people that had intentions to shoot and blow up British soldiers

Don't suppose your oirish are you