Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nuisance calls!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Nuisance calls!

Old 08-09-2011, 17:42   #16
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Nuisance calls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
The trouble with this is that too many people who call us withold their ID and if we dont answer the call they dont leave a message and I cant train my wife to ignore calls

If she did then they would soon learn either to leave a message or not withhold their number. I am seroiysly thining of truecall or something like it.
I am sure that Digital Fanatic has a Trucall device and he says that it is brilliant.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2011, 17:52   #17
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

I had enormous fun with a nuisance call ... the number was odd .... so I said 'hello' in a (what I thought) was a foreign accent .... and it was the nice man (also foreign) wanting to fix my computer!!!! I'm telling him I'm in my own in the house and that I daren't touch a computer ... and he is trying to persuade me that he can talk me through all I need to do .... I bet he could!!! My accent is swinging wildy from one sort of accent to a bit of Welsh (I think) and back to whatever.

I was so creased up I could hardly talk.

Even hubby came in to see what on earth was going on.

It went on for ages ... and I could imagine the very nice man was wondering what script to use ..... but he continued for ages and ages!!!

Best laugh I've had for ages .... I must do it again
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:12   #18
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I am sure that Digital Fanatic has a Trucall device and he says that it is brilliant.
Yes, I couldn't live without it! We NEVER get any cold calls or nuisance calls, TruCall deals with them
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:36   #19
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Daz/Teeside is on a distinguished roadDaz/Teeside is on a distinguished road

Like I said I have tried being polite, talking to them and telling them they will be reported, already registered with TPS but to no avail. Their numbers are with held so don't see how I can report them anyway.
Free number change is of course an option but so much hassle getting everything changed and why because I am getting calls I don't want? Truecall looks good but at a cost and as we currently pay enough for utilities don't understand why Virgin can't offer a soultion,
Daz/Teeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51   #20
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz/Teeside View Post
Like I said I have tried being polite, talking to them and telling them they will be reported, already registered with TPS but to no avail. Their numbers are with held so don't see how I can report them anyway.
Free number change is of course an option but so much hassle getting everything changed and why because I am getting calls I don't want? Truecall looks good but at a cost and as we currently pay enough for utilities don't understand why Virgin can't offer a soultion,
The is no way to stop these calls as they are based overseas and do not transmit there number even BT cannot stop these calls.

The only solution are the ones given above.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:49   #21
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The is no way to stop these calls as they are based overseas and do not transmit there number even BT cannot stop these calls.

The only solution are the ones given above.
There is no reason why Virgin couldnt offer a service like truecall though whether I would trust them to be competent to do it is a good question

Also how much would they have to charge and how much take up would there be?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:06   #22
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
There is no reason why Virgin couldnt offer a service like truecall though whether I would trust them to be competent to do it is a good question

TrueCall is a one-off purchase of the unit (about £80 - £100) , then if you want to use the web portal to manage calls it's a small yearly charge for access (I think last time I looked was about £11?).

If Virgin Media did it, then they'd have to be a reseller of the unit as it's not on the Switch (Exchange) it's all in the unit.

Check a demo HERE
Old 09-09-2011, 13:38   #23
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

As the is already a seller in the marketplace and very competent by all reviews why not just go with them.
Old 09-09-2011, 14:16   #24
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Daz/Teeside is on a distinguished roadDaz/Teeside is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
TrueCall is a one-off purchase of the unit (about £80 - £100) , then if you want to use the web portal to manage calls it's a small yearly charge for access (I think last time I looked was about £11?).

If Virgin Media did it, then they'd have to be a reseller of the unit as it's not on the Switch (Exchange) it's all in the unit.

Check a demo HERE
More money as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like we don't pay enough.

Surely Virgin could/should be doing something to help with customers complaints. The service we are paying for has just gone up, granted along with most things but why can't they provide a system to stop these calls. Call rejection from with held numbers, caller ID.
Daz/Teeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:28   #25
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Surely Virgin could/should be doing something to help with customers complaints. The service we are paying for has just gone up, granted along with most things but why can't they provide a system to stop these calls. Call rejection from with held numbers, caller ID.
You can subscribe to have withheld numbers rejected which is OK if friends and companies will leave a message which they often dont.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:35   #26
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

As arcimedes says, you can subscribe to "Anonymous Caller Rejection" at £2.55 per month, but that also means that any friends or family who don't show their number using 141 (number withheld) or 1470 (permanent number withheld) won't get thru, so won't even be able to leave a message.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:59   #27
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Not really as many services and companies pay to still get past anonymous call reject so that will not happen and as these calls you want to stop emanate from overseas they cannot be regulated or stopped by any UK telecoms provider.

Try looking on BT forums and you will see the same questions asked over these calls, you can do something about it by using an answerphone to answer every call and you will know which calls to answer.
Old 09-09-2011, 18:18   #28
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:

VM provide you with a 'phoneline, it's up to you if you want to screen calls or purchase something like TrueCall.

No provider can stop all of the incomming calls, as Masque says, they can get around most things.