Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | playstation 3 HDD space

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

playstation 3 HDD space

Old 27-12-2009, 03:25   #1
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack
playstation 3 HDD space

hi i car't play any new games as i don't have space to play it whats the best way to get more space as i don't want to delete my saved games is there something i can buy thank u
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2009, 03:38   #2
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
re: playstation 3 HDD space

You could buy a bigger hard drive?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 05:14   #3
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

You dont have to delete the save games, just the files that the game installs when you first load it up. Delete the files from the games you dont play and you make space for more.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 22:25   #4
wwe
cf.mega poster

wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
You could buy a bigger hard drive?
How do u mean and where can i get 1
Old 27-12-2009, 22:38   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

What size drive does your PS3 currently have?

what you'd do is back up your HDD to an external HDD, remove the PS3 drive install the new one and then restore the back up.

For a compatible HDD see the following
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/351659...e/Product.html
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/752384...e/Product.html
Old 27-12-2009, 23:00   #6
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future

Just to add to Stephens post; the PS3 is designed so that the internal hard drive can be easily replaced and when a new one is installed it will automatically configure it ready for use. As Stephen said, all you need to do is backup your data (Game saves etc) and restore them onto your bigger drive.

Here is a good guide on what needs to be done - http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

Here is a video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyQPW3bDS0
D_Skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 23:09   #7
zing_deleted

I thought any sata 2.5 inch drive was compatible?
Old 27-12-2009, 23:19   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think it is but those drive are known to be compatible.
Old 27-12-2009, 23:21   #9
zing_deleted

I think according to the pics in the guide they ship with seagates
Old 27-12-2009, 23:46   #10
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future

Just about any 2.5 inch Sata (II) drive is compatable but there is no point getting a 7200rpm drive as it will be noisy. Seagate and Western Digital seem to be the preferred choice and I think Stephen was just giving links to reasonably priced decent drives.
Old 28-12-2009, 16:07   #11
wwe
cf.mega poster

is there any you world reckomend at the moment i got the 60 one and where i can get them from
Old 28-12-2009, 16:16   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Stephen's earlier post has links to two recommended HDDs, both Western Digital HDDs available at Play.com.

Just wondering though, how have you managed to run out of space? How many games have you got which have actually installed stuff on the PS3? (they don't all install). Is there nothing you can delete to make room?

If you do get a new HDD, they are very easy to fit, & doing so does not invalidate your warranty (if it is still valid). As mentioned, you would need to back up your saves first.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:21   #13
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Re: playstation 3 HDD space

Well those ones I linked to on Play.com are highly recommended for a start.

I plan on getting one soon as my 60GB HDD only has about 18GB free at the moment.
Old 28-12-2009, 23:21   #14
D_Skids
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe View Post
is there any you world reckomend at the moment i got the 60 one and where i can get them from
The ones that Stephen recommended are good.

Or try this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ps3+hard+drive
Old 29-12-2009, 15:42   #15
wwe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What size drive does your PS3 currently have?

what you'd do is back up your HDD to an external HDD, remove the PS3 drive install the new one and then restore the back up.

For a compatible HDD see the following
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/351659...e/Product.html
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/752384...e/Product.html
im thinking of getting the 320 one you said don't really need the 500 one

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

you know when you back it up where does it back up to all i read is that you have to back it up but where to