Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK Virgin Media phone number?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub factory resetting itself

Old 14-04-2011, 09:11   #1
Octimon
Inactive

Services: BB XXL - but only by rebooting every other day; TV XL - with a shiny new HD box and On Demand is s
Octimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub factory resetting itself

In the last couple of weeks my absolutely nothing super about it hub has started factory resetting itself. It just seems to suddenly fall over and all I can do is turn it off and back on again but when it comes back to life all my settings are gone, the SSID changes and it has reset itself - even the user / password are changed back to admin / changeme

I have even tried manually factory resetting it in case it was just a glitch that needed to be cleared but it has since done it again on its own.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I note from the forum there has been a firmware update recently and this has only been happening in the last couple of weeks (3 times now) - is it related?

Cheers

Octy
Octimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2011, 09:14   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Superhub factory resetting itself

It is a fault and the hub will need replacing so you need to call up technical support.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 16:23   #3
Octimon
Inactive

Services: BB XXL - but only by rebooting every other day; TV XL - with a shiny new HD box and On Demand is s

VM replaced the [Mod edit]hub and for the last few weeks the new one has worked flawlessly but guess what.....

The last two days it has reset itself back to the factory settings

Guess I'll be needing a trophy cabinet to house my dead [Mod edit]hubs
Old 09-07-2011, 16:25   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Please do not use words which invoke the swear filter, or asterisks instead of words that invoke the swear filter - repetition of this behaviour will incur infractions.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 19:03   #5
Octimon
Inactive

Well, hub No 3 now here and activated. I wonder how long this one will last? !!
Old 15-07-2011, 19:15   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I tried 4 before I gave up and got rid
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 19:33   #7
Octimon
Inactive

Wonder how much it is costing them in replacements?
Old 16-07-2011, 21:57   #8
Octimon
Inactive

Hard not to invoke the swear / asterisk filter but the 3rd hub has lasted less than 24 hours. Just reset itself. Virgin, I have said this before but you are a joke. This just isn't good enough.
Old 17-07-2011, 12:29   #9
Octimon
Inactive

Hub number 4 on its way

Funny, how the first 2 times I called I was told it was a known fault but this time I had to spend 1/2 an hour on the phone explaining things before I was told "we have not come across this before all we can do is escalate it to Network and send you another"

Email also on its way to CEO office as this is just intolerable service.

They provide me a V+ box but don't dictate my telly, they provide a phone connection but don't dictate what phones I use so what gives them the right to dicate how I network my kit?
Old 17-07-2011, 12:59   #10
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octimon View Post
They provide me a V+ box but don't dictate my telly, they provide a phone connection but don't dictate what phones I use so what gives them the right to dicate how I network my kit?

A question often asked

1000's of us have purchased our own Wireless devices as VM did not supply wireless equipment until recently with their new HUB

to expect all of us just to bin these devices is unrealistic,

The "modem" only mode should have been an option on their Hub from the start
Old 17-07-2011, 23:02   #11
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

Quote:
Guess I'll be needing a trophy cabinet to house my dead hubs
Quote:
Hub number 4 on its way
Do you mean they're not taking back the failed devices? How are they going to work out what is/was wrong with them, if they don't take them back and examine them?

There's another thread here where a member of VM staff says all faulty kit is returned to the manufacturer for a refund - how does that work?

As we're constantly reminded, hubs are VM's property at all times. Why are they just abandoning them?
Quote:
Wonder how much it is costing them in replacements?
I think you'll find we the customers are paying for it - even if we don't have a "super"hub.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:10   #12
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

They never asked for mine back. One was replaced as faulty (reported as such on Masque's advice). I tested the second and found a repeatable problem (hub hangs when doing a TrueImage backup to a NAS device over WiFi using 300Mbps mode) so complained to CEO office and got a vmng300 to replace it. VM didn't ask for either hub back.

I imagine they get these devices so cheaply that paying return postage and handling them would cost more than just scrapping them. The WEEE directive means that VM couldn't just send them to landfill and scrapping them would cost more money - it's probably actually cheaper leaving disposal to the customer.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:50   #13
Octimon
Inactive

First one they didn't ask for. They did not ask for No 2 back but right at the bottom of the package sending out unit No 3 was a reply paid address label to send back No 2. Hadn't even got it packaged before No 3 failed.
Old 18-07-2011, 18:39   #14
Octimon
Inactive

Have been trying to work from home today and suffered 2 resets

Have done a bit of research on this and it appears I am among a myriad of complainants with exactly the same problem. VM have even admitted to the fault on their own forums - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../578389#M59568

It strikes me as intrinsically wrong that someone can continue to advertise and sign up customers and supply kit that they know to be faulty and not fit for purpose at the time of supply. Surely the product should be withdrawn until corrected?
Old 18-07-2011, 19:41   #15
kenoliver

Quote:
It strikes me as intrinsically wrong that someone can continue to advertise and sign up customers and supply kit that they know to be faulty and not fit for purpose at the time of supply. Surely the product should be withdrawn until corrected?
Every thing seems to hang on the release of R28, although this seems to keep getting delayed

There will come a tipping point for VM were the dissatisfaction with the Hub become commercially unsustainable for them