Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK Virgin Media phone number?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upload REDUCED from 5mbit to 1.75mbit?

Old 17-11-2011, 00:51   #1
weirdo
Inactive

weirdo is an unknown quantity at this point
Upload REDUCED from 5mbit to 1.75mbit?

o/

Long time lurker

I have noticed, literally, in the last week or so, after a few crashes on my big black Ambit box of doom, that the config file has started stating that my max traffic rate on my upstream is 1750000 bps, instead of the 5000000 bps it has a week ago.

This has come with quite a detrimental loss of quality of service as well, primarily in the peak times. Formerly my speedtest.net results were coming in at 49.9 Mb/s / ~4Mb/s and have gone down to 45Mb/s / 1.45Mb/s.

I thought VM were upgrading, not downgrading people?

Any idea why this would happen? And whether this is permanent?
weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2011, 13:06   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: Upload REDUCED from 5mbit to 1.75mbit?

You probably uploaded too much, the STM on 50Mbps for upload is 1.75Mbps. Download is not affected.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 14:44   #3
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Its my understanding from past posts here, that STM is enforced at VM's datacenters, or headends or whatever the official term is, and not by sending a different config file to the modem.

The fact that he has a different config, seems very strange and in my mind suggests either an error, or a permanent change in the limits.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 16:00   #4
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Its my understanding from past posts here, that STM is enforced at VM's datacenters, or headends or whatever the official term is, and not by sending a different config file to the modem.

The fact that he has a different config, seems very strange and in my mind suggests either an error, or a permanent change in the limits.
Hmm yes, I have a feeling that the one and only time I've been STMed the SuperHub's config stayed the same.

No idea what would cause this though.
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 21:11   #5
weirdo
Inactive

Well, not going to lie, but I am a heavy user. This would be the first time I have been STM'd to my knowledge.

I have done the reset of the modem a few times now, with the same config being present, so clearly it thinks that this 1.75MB one is correct. I can probably deal with the speed tbh, but only having 1.75MB basically means that i can't get my full speed half the time with HTTP due to the overheads, so basically, I am not getting what I paid for.

Also, I am beginning to learn the futility of the indian callcentres >_<...

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Also, to post what I chucked up on the VM support forums... proof!

This is from October, before my config got nuked:

This is now. I have had 4 or 5 tests identical to this, with varying amounts on the download, but the upload solid at this speed.

This is tonight:

My power levels on the DS/US are pretty much bang on and within the tolerances.

Config below:

Config File:

General Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Baseline Privacy : Enabled
DOCSIS Mode : DOCSIS 3.0
Config File : 34ncxv9873254k;fg87d
Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID : 444
Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID : 443
Max Traffic Rate : 1750000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 1600 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst : 1522 bytes
Scheduling Type : Best Effort
Old 17-11-2011, 21:31   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post

AFAIK, STM is not applied by changing the modem config file.

Wierdo, have you reported this as a fault. Looks like someone pushed the wrong button and reset your config.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 21:43   #7
weirdo
Inactive

Oddly enough, just rang 150.

Been told that I have triggered the STM (not really a surprise, I was expecting this). I asked the question why it was still STM'd at 8am this morning, and for so long, even before I uploaded, and the advisor, and his Lvl2 didn't have an answer.

Been advised to keep it off overnight, and see if the config resets in the morning. Tried this before, but, worth trying again. And if this fails, 150 again tomorrow night.

First time, oddly enough, I have been taken to someone (on the indian centre) who actually didn't jump straight into the script. Quite pleasantly surprised
Old 17-11-2011, 21:44   #8
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road

Hmm yes. I'm not sure why it would happen like that though. From experience I'll say that the support on the Virgin Media forums tends to be a lot better than what you'll get over the phone though.
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 21:45   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
Well, not going to lie, but I am a heavy user. This would be the first time I have been STM'd to my knowledge.

I have done the reset of the modem a few times now, with the same config being present, so clearly it thinks that this 1.75MB one is correct. I can probably deal with the speed tbh, but only having 1.75MB basically means that i can't get my full speed half the time with HTTP due to the overheads, so basically, I am not getting what I paid for.

Also, I am beginning to learn the futility of the indian callcentres >_<...
Sounds like there's a fault and you're misprovisioned, however 1.75Mb is fine for the 50Mb product - that's what the upstream was before the upgrade, it's what my upstream speed along with various other people remains and it's ok.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 22:01   #10
weirdo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sounds like there's a fault and you're misprovisioned, however 1.75Mb is fine for the 50Mb product - that's what the upstream was before the upgrade, it's what my upstream speed along with various other people remains and it's ok.
Misprovisioned? Do you mind explaining what is meant by this, for when I discuss with VM tomorrow?

And 1.75 is ok, just means its back to doing one thing at a time. Been used to having 5mbit and being able to chuck my data onto my team's dropbox, while streaming iplayer and browsing. Means that simply having dropbox going at 120k, kills everything else. Means i am stuck now with downloading OR uploading, rather than multitasking before.
Old 19-11-2011, 00:38   #11
weirdo
Inactive

And... off all night and day. And still config at 1.75mbit.
Old 19-11-2011, 05:14   #12
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

The term "provisioned" simply means what config file was sent to the router. The config file is what tells the router what speed to run at.

"Misprovisioned" simply means a wrong config file was sent.

You can't alter the config file, or influence it in any way. Its controlled by Virgin.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:30   #13
weirdo
Inactive

Well, official verdict is that 1.75mbit is what I am supposed to be on for the moment. They are apparently doing something to the network I am connected to.
Old 23-11-2011, 14:05   #14
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

I was STM'd on 50mb a few months back and it didn't reset back to 5mb, had to call support 4 times until someone finally listened to me and did something about it, funnily enough the times they wouldn't do anything was when i got through to the indian call centre, why have a call centre set up over there if they don't sort your problems?
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 16:32   #15
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
I was STM'd on 50mb a few months back and it didn't reset back to 5mb, had to call support 4 times until someone finally listened to me and did something about it, funnily enough the times they wouldn't do anything was when i got through to the indian call centre, why have a call centre set up over there if they don't sort your problems?
Is 50 meg STM'd now as its news to me ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote