Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to opt-out BT's text to speech

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

How to opt-out BT's text to speech

Old 01-07-2011, 23:22   #1
yjafor
Inactive

yjafor is an unknown quantity at this point
How to opt-out BT's text to speech

I have a VM phone line, not BT. Getting so many calls from BT's 0845 602 1111. Never requested/subscribed & don't want that annoying service.

Called 150 4 times but offered no help. Had been told its BT's service so they can't do anything. Advised for TPS which I already registered. Another option was given to change the number which won't solve the problem completely.

When I called BT's opt-out freephone & mobile number it did not give me any option to opt-out just to change time preference. Called BT's help desk they can't help either because my line is VM. Their opt-out number is for BT customers. Been told its the VM who can help.

What shall I do now?

Please someone help me. Thank you.
yjafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2011, 02:31   #2
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough
Re: How to opt-out BT's text to speech

Make a formal complaint through both companies and follow the process to its conclusion via the Ombudsman or ask OFCOM for guidance.
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 23:13   #3
danbayliss
cf.addict

danbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nicedanbayliss is just really nice

If you dial 0800 587 5252 and press option 1 and option 5 it should opt you out providing you don't withhold your number.
danbayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40   #4
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbayliss View Post
If you dial 0800 587 5252 and press option 1 and option 5 it should opt you out providing you don't withhold your number.
Thanks for that information. I have just done as you advised. I have been receiving a lot of these nuisance text calls recently.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 16:31   #5
malleusdemonium
Inactive

malleusdemonium is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an MITM attack (man in the middle). DO NOT RETRIEVE MESSAGE. When you answer or retrieve the message, they connect with your device and upload any info they want to their device. They are capable of listening in to any conversations and also retrieve any texts PPI repayments texts and calls are exactly the same thing. DO NOT REPLY TO IT!!! As soon as you do, there are three people in the room.

If you've answered these texts/calls and make a call to a company number (0500) etc., any number where you are likely to make a purchase, your call will be intercepted by the MITM attacker who will impersonate the call-centre employee, even with pre-recorded background noise. 'Hello, my name is ----, how can I help you today'? Your name is the first thing to be asked, your postcode is the next. They now have a geographical location for their victim, and the trawling for information starts. If you give them your card numbers it's all over. Remember, they don't know who you're calling, they just go by the number's characteristics, so if they don't say the name of whatever company you're calling, hang up.

Sadly, the only way to rid yourself of this parasite is to change your number; the problem being that if you've replied/retrieved this message, they already have the contents to your address book, so as soon as you send your contacts your new number, you inadvertantly send the MITM attacker your number too. This is a really nasty and hugely underestimated scam. As difficult to shake as Malaria.
The main problem in preventing the MITM attacks, is the phone companies not wanting to share their encryption/delivery methods of their trade and therefore the MITM attackers have free reign over their customers, safe in the knowledge that the phone company isn't going to do a damned thing about it. Hope this helps. Peace.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

This is not BT. Put 0845 602 1111 in Google.....
malleusdemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 17:32   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleusdemonium View Post
This is an MITM attack (man in the middle). DO NOT RETRIEVE MESSAGE. When you answer or retrieve the message, they connect with your device and upload any info they want to their device. They are capable of listening in to any conversations and also retrieve any texts PPI repayments texts and calls are exactly the same thing. DO NOT REPLY TO IT!!! As soon as you do, there are three people in the room.

If you've answered these texts/calls and make a call to a company number (0500) etc., any number where you are likely to make a purchase, your call will be intercepted by the MITM attacker who will impersonate the call-centre employee, even with pre-recorded background noise. 'Hello, my name is ----, how can I help you today'? Your name is the first thing to be asked, your postcode is the next. They now have a geographical location for their victim, and the trawling for information starts. If you give them your card numbers it's all over. Remember, they don't know who you're calling, they just go by the number's characteristics, so if they don't say the name of whatever company you're calling, hang up.

Sadly, the only way to rid yourself of this parasite is to change your number; the problem being that if you've replied/retrieved this message, they already have the contents to your address book, so as soon as you send your contacts your new number, you inadvertantly send the MITM attacker your number too. This is a really nasty and hugely underestimated scam. As difficult to shake as Malaria.
The main problem in preventing the MITM attacks, is the phone companies not wanting to share their encryption/delivery methods of their trade and therefore the MITM attackers have free reign over their customers, safe in the knowledge that the phone company isn't going to do a damned thing about it. Hope this helps. Peace.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

This is not BT. Put 0845 602 1111 in Google.....
First things first. Welcome to the forum.

OK. I seriously doubt that the average man in the middle attack could get access to your phone through what is essentially a voicemail system. BT's text to speech service is a voicemail system that reads your texts. They won't get access to the phone, as their message does not reach the phone in it's original format (or any binary format). Similarly, they won't get your location (beyond narrowing down to the area covered by your exchange, which they can from the number anyway).

Finally, I did put that number into google. One of the pages returned was http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...s-with-bt-text, so, yes, it is a BT number.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:58   #7
malleusdemonium
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
First things first. Welcome to the forum.

OK. I seriously doubt that the average man in the middle attack could get access to your phone through what is essentially a voicemail system. BT's text to speech service is a voicemail system that reads your texts. They won't get access to the phone, as their message does not reach the phone in it's original format (or any binary format). Similarly, they won't get your location (beyond narrowing down to the area covered by your exchange, which they can from the number anyway).

Finally, I did put that number into google. One of the pages returned was http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...s-with-bt-text, so, yes, it is a BT number.
Hi Stuart, thanks for the welcome and your reply. This number has been cloned, I guarantee it by personal experience. I notice you said 'one' of the pages that google returned was relevant to the BT service. What's the negative % of reports about this number when compared to the positive ones online? Include all reports on the first two pages google returns.
Old 18-11-2012, 19:43   #8
malleusdemonium
Inactive

Hi again Stuart. I'm assuming by the 'first things first' introduction, that you are the 'leader' of this discussion room/forum. Can you tell me if you were 'appointed' this position, or is this a position you ostensibly took, and one you feel is a deserved one, or one perhaps you have earned; considering your contribution toward, not only the the current topic on the site that I'm involved in, but also toward ensuring the 'right' information reaches the masses? Surely, by attempting to 'own' (by way of rythmic grunts, digital scent markings, keyboard-aggression or being the first to challenge a fresh and brilliant mind present in the room) this forum/discussion (you may well have produced the site, I don't know), do you not think you may be leaving the discussion arena a little less than open/diplomatic in terms of the opinions of your CableForum members and assuming control of the input/output to perhaps massage the ego that you may wish you had, rather than the one you've got, hmmm?