Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where do i stand legally

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

asa reprimands virgin from my complaint

Old 08-10-2011, 22:38   #1
apophis
Inactive

apophis is an unknown quantity at this point
asa reprimands virgin from my complaint

enclosed reply from my complaint to the asa

Please Quote: A11-165257/JD

7 October 2011

Dear

VIRGIN MEDIA LTD

Thank you for your patience while we considered your complaint about Virgin Media. Please accept my sincere apologies for the length of time taken to resolve this case. This was due to a delay in establishing whether the media you objected to (static banners that appeared across the bottom of the main menu of the TV electronic programme guide (EPG)) came within our remit as we have not received complaints about this media before. I can now confirm that they do.

We contacted the advertisers and asked them to amend their ad as we felt that the “free installation” claim was likely to mislead, given that they charged £49.95 for activation on the larger 1TB TiVo box and the ad doesn’t specify to which TiVo box the free installation offer applies. The advertisers have now responded to say that these ads have been removed. On this basis we will now close our file. However, because we have alerted the advertisers to the affect that their ad was potentially misleading, we expect future such promotions to take out recommendations on board. Therefore, if you see these ads again in their original form, please let us know.

Thank you once again for your patience. I am sorry that it has taken so long to resolve this case but I hope that you will find this information helpful.

Yours sincerely

Julia Dean
Complaints Executive

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and the Advertising Standards Authority (Broadcast) Ltd will use the information you have given us to deal with your complaint. If your complaint falls under the remit of a different regulatory body, we will normally pass it on to that body. If you are seeking suppression from an advertiser’s database or have not received goods or a refund, we will pass the details of your complaint to the advertiser so it can take action.

We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given us permission to do so. You can register at the 'Keep Me Informed' section of our website for communications you would like to receive from us, and can amend your choices at any time.

We would like you to be available to take part in the ASA’s customer satisfaction research. On our behalf, an independent research company contacts complainants by e-mail. Please let us know if you do NOT want to participate in that research by emailing data.protection@asa.org.uk or writing to Advertising Standards Authority, Freepost LON20659, LONDON, WC1V 6BR.

We will not sell, rent or exchange your details with any other organisation. Our full Privacy Policy can be found at www.asa.org.uk/asa/privacy.
apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2011, 23:01   #2
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: asa reprimands virgin from my complaint

There is another thread about this somewhere
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:05   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Google disagrees.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44   #4
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Google disagrees.
Google may do, but it's on this site
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by apophis View Post
enclosed reply from my complaint to the asa

Please Quote: A11-165257/JD

7 October 2011

Dear

VIRGIN MEDIA LTD

Thank you for your patience while we considered your complaint about Virgin Media. Please accept my sincere apologies for the length of time taken to resolve this case. This was due to a delay in establishing whether the media you objected to (static banners that appeared across the bottom of the main menu of the TV electronic programme guide (EPG)) came within our remit as we have not received complaints about this media before. I can now confirm that they do.

We contacted the advertisers and asked them to amend their ad as we felt that the “free installation” claim was likely to mislead, given that they charged £49.95 for activation on the larger 1TB TiVo box and the ad doesn’t specify to which TiVo box the free installation offer applies. The advertisers have now responded to say that these ads have been removed. On this basis we will now close our file. However, because we have alerted the advertisers to the affect that their ad was potentially misleading, we expect future such promotions to take out recommendations on board. Therefore, if you see these ads again in their original form, please let us know.

Thank you once again for your patience. I am sorry that it has taken so long to resolve this case but I hope that you will find this information helpful.

Yours sincerely

Julia Dean
Complaints Executive

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and the Advertising Standards Authority (Broadcast) Ltd will use the information you have given us to deal with your complaint. If your complaint falls under the remit of a different regulatory body, we will normally pass it on to that body. If you are seeking suppression from an advertiser’s database or have not received goods or a refund, we will pass the details of your complaint to the advertiser so it can take action.

We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given us permission to do so. You can register at the 'Keep Me Informed' section of our website for communications you would like to receive from us, and can amend your choices at any time.

We would like you to be available to take part in the ASA’s customer satisfaction research. On our behalf, an independent research company contacts complainants by e-mail. Please let us know if you do NOT want to participate in that research by emailing data.protection@asa.org.uk or writing to Advertising Standards Authority, Freepost LON20659, LONDON, WC1V 6BR.

We will not sell, rent or exchange your details with any other organisation. Our full Privacy Policy can be found at www.asa.org.uk/asa/privacy.
Could you remind us of your grievance?

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Google may do, but it's on this site
I can't find it either, so could you provide a link?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 00:44   #6
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

I just remember reading the post a week or so ago.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:04   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

Quote:
So that would be 'No', then.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:43   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
As the OP has never posted anything else on this site regarding a complaint I rather doubt it, check his posting history by clicking on his name and view posts.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Anyway, back on topic.....

"reprimands"?

I read in their response that there was a request to remove an ad, which was then done, with a reminder to VM not to repeat that type of ad, as it could be potentially misleading.

If I ask my lad to pick up his shoes that he has left lying about, I'm not reprimanding him......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24   #10
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So that would be 'No', then.....
Obviously

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
As the OP has never posted anything else on this site regarding a complaint I rather doubt it, check his posting history by clicking on his name and view posts.
It wasn't the OP who said it. From what I remember it was either one of those threads that just announces news, or it was mentioned in another thread about VM.

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Quote:

"reprimands"?

I read in their response that there was a request to remove an ad, which was then done, with a reminder to VM not to repeat that type of ad, as it could be potentially misleading.

If I ask my lad to pick up his shoes that he has left lying about, I'm not reprimanding him......
Very true
Old 12-10-2011, 17:37   #11
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What if he keeps leaving them lying about, and you have to keep asking him to pick them up?

To the OP, keep your eye out incase they come back
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:48   #12
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But if you add "and dont do it again...." (which is pretty much what the asa have said to VM) then i would say you ARE reprimanding him
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:57   #13
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

They've told Virgin not to do a lot of things again
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote