Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My blood is boiling

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

The Great 0845 Rip off.

Old 27-02-2011, 09:54   #1
db133
Inactive

db133 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Great 0845 Rip off.

I understood 0845 numbers are local rate numbers but not with VM who appear to have turned them into a nice rip off............
db133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2011, 10:02   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: The Great 0845 Rip off.

I agree, nice little cash cow
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:21   #3
db133
Inactive

The number given for the Tax Credit Helpline is an 0845 so if VM want to rip someone off they are off to a good start with this one.

Ref:
Register with www.18185.co.uk and route your calls through them. Much cheaper than VM's standard rates. You just have to dial an 0800 number, wait for the announcement to start and then key the full number you want to call. Easy. Calls within the UK:
p/min
UK Fixed 1
UK mobiles (sat/sun) 6
UK mobiles (weekdays) 10
0845 Local (sat/sun) 3
0845 Local (weekdays) 3
0870 National (sat/sun) 1
0870 National (weekdays) 3
070 Personal 25

Why do we need to do this to stop the VM rip off ? Although it does confirm VM is ripping off its customers again..................allways thought it was a **** take to offer new customers a better deal than existing customers. Time to move methinks.......kind regards
Old 27-02-2011, 10:25   #4
Zing

whats wrong with looking on saynoto0870

there is a whole list of alternative numbers http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php just add virgin media to the search
Old 27-02-2011, 11:05   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by db133 View Post
The only number for the Tax Credit Helpline is an 0845
Not true and if you bothered to look there are local numbers (check the "phoning from abroad numbers" as they are always a geographic number)

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...tx1=&tx0=49679

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Remember that most 0845 numbers forward onto a normal number so very rarely will there not be an alternative
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:38   #6
db133
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogemaflop View Post
whats wrong with looking on saynoto0870

there is a whole list of alternative numbers http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php just add virgin media to the search

Nothing. very good thanks for the tip......kind regards.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Not true and if you bothered to look there are local numbers (check the "phoning from abroad numbers" as they are always a geographic number)

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...tx1=&tx0=49679

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Remember that most 0845 numbers forward onto a normal number so very rarely will there not be an alternative
Thanks for the reprimand much appreciated. You judge other people by your standards and abilities.........kind regards
Old 27-02-2011, 12:03   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I'm just pointing out that you've moaned about something that isn't really an issue.. As with most thing in life there is an alternative, if you don't like VM then go to BT or another provider, if you want to stay with VM but think their 0845 charges are unacceptable then search for the local number or use the 18185 service. Coming on here moaning about something that isn't really an issue means that we don't have to judge you..instead you've done that for yourself
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:13   #8
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I'm just pointing out that you've moaned about something that isn't really an issue.. As with most thing in life there is an alternative, if you don't like VM then go to BT or another provider, if you want to stay with VM but think their 0845 charges are unacceptable then search for the local number or use the 18185 service. Coming on here moaning about something that isn't really an issue means that we don't have to judge you..instead you've done that for yourself
Absolutely agree!

If you are not happy with paying £12.99 for your landline and £8 for anytime calls which doesn't cover 0845 numbers then there are plenty of other suppliers.

For instance, with BT you can get the landline for £10 per month if you pay annual in advance and their anytime calls costs only £5, including 0845 numbers and 200 free texts per month.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:46   #9
Marcus125
Permanently Banned

Marcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathersMarcus125 has ruffled too many feathers

You should never use your VM landline for out going calls its a massive rip-off if you compare it to other providers. If every other phone company is cheaper than obviously VM over charge.

I only have a VM landline because my Sky mulitroom TV needs both boxes connect to a phoneline. But this month I've had to use it and the charges are a scandel but Meh.

Its £35 for 50mb or £37 for 50mb with phoneline with VM. Or I can pay VM £35 for 50mb and another provder £12,£47 in total before any calls. So as long as my VM call charges are under a tenner I'm no worse or better off than I would be with anyone else.
Marcus125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:00   #10
db133
Inactive

Thank you for all your input I have found it a most enlightening Forum.

Regards.
Old 27-02-2011, 16:02   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus125 View Post
You should never use your VM landline for out going calls its a massive rip-off if you compare it to other providers. If every other phone company is cheaper than obviously VM over charge.

I only have a VM landline because my Sky mulitroom TV needs both boxes connect to a phoneline. But this month I've had to use it and the charges are a scandel but Meh.

Its £35 for 50mb or £37 for 50mb with phoneline with VM. Or I can pay VM £35 for 50mb and another provder £12,£47 in total before any calls. So as long as my VM call charges are under a tenner I'm no worse or better off than I would be with anyone else.
Sure you used emotive enough terms there, Marcus.

If that is how you feel over 1-2p per minute difference in call charges, I can only assume you have a number of exploding veins in your forehead when Sky put their charges up annually...

btw, if you are so unhappy with VM call charges, why don't you get a BT line? Or could it be you are focussing on one part of an equation, not taking the others into account when making your (oft repeated) point?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 18:23   #12
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a very easy option here virgin give u a pack for 5 pound a month and u can call 0845 number for free upto 250 mins a months i got it about 2 months ago saved a fortune on the bill.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

it not on the website so u can only get it over the phone
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:32   #13
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
there is a very easy option here virgin give u a pack for 5 pound a month and u can call 0845 number for free upto 250 mins a months i got it about 2 months ago saved a fortune on the bill.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

it not on the website so u can only get it over the phone
Virgin 'give' you this option for another £5 a month, that's good of them. I assume that's in addition to the £8 a month for unlimited 01/02/03 calls, £2 for CLI, £1.75 for reduced international calls. It is staggeringly expensive.

It is my understanding you cannot just call and ask for this option anyway, it is only available to a certain group of customers.

VM's landline phone service is without any shadow of a doubt the most expensive on the market bar none and more than cancels out any savings I make on the TV side of things.

But we can call VM mobiles though!
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 14:30   #14
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got it of some fella who checked how my service was he was scotland if i remember right and he said i called 08 numbers alot so he said would i be intrested at 5 months so i said yes.
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 15:09   #15
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
i got it of some fella who checked how my service was he was scotland if i remember right and he said i called 08 numbers alot so he said would i be intrested at 5 months so i said yes.
It's been mentioned many times on here, it isn't a freely available option hence it isn't advertised on the site.

I was not eligible when I enquired, most people don't seem to be either. You have to be a 'review' customer although I fancy I might be eligible come March 7 when I am contractually able to cancel the phone service!
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote