Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keyboard or gamepad ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion

Keyboard or gamepad ?

Old 09-07-2003, 14:46   #1
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
Keyboard or gamepad ?

I was just wondering seeing as sometimes there are that many different key strokes involved in some games, what do you all use and do \ can you mix and match ?

I used to have the a Thrustmaster firestorm but it fell to pieces from to much ( aggresive ) use ...lol, now I use the keyboard \ mouse set up but do miss a gamepad although the mouse is easy to use ( might \ will have to invest in an optical cordless )
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2003, 14:47   #2
gary_580

ive got a PS2 controller hooked up to my PC. Works a treat
Old 09-07-2003, 14:55   #3
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Quote:
Originally posted by gary_580
ive got a PS2 controller hooked up to my PC. Works a treat
Do you still need to use the keyboard at all ??
I dont have a ps2 so i would not know the button config on them, are the programable ?

EDIT :- how do they connect ?
Old 09-07-2003, 15:11   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Prefer keyboard. Don't like gamepads. If I had to use a gamepad, i'd use the X-Box one. PS2 ones are to fiddly to use, and I don't like Gamecube ones either.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 15:30   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
I use a keyboard and mouse. I assign the keys near the arrow buttons for all the jump/crouch/use actions. Arrow keys are for movement. If I need to use more functions I assign them to the num. keypad. I hate the default keyboard layout that you get with games.
btw bopdude, get the logitec mx700 cordless mouse. Its great. ....providing that you are right handed
Old 09-07-2003, 15:37   #6
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramrod
.btw bopdude, get the logitec mx700 cordless mouse. Its great. ....providing that you are right handed
Thanks Ramrod, it looks like a good solid mouse, I'll have to investigate more
Old 09-07-2003, 15:55   #7
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by bopdude
Thanks Ramrod, it looks like a good solid mouse, I'll have to investigate more
I think I got mine from Amazon, approx £70 but worth it
Old 09-07-2003, 17:15   #8
gary_580

Quote:
Do you still need to use the keyboard at all ??
I dont have a ps2 so i would not know the button config on them, are the programable ?

EDIT :- how do they connect ?
yep you can program all the buttons and both sticks on the controller just like you can for any other joystick.

And the rumbel and vibrate work too. Pretty cool really, just have to get a USB to PS2 Joystick converter for about £10 think i got mine from www.jandaman.com
Old 09-07-2003, 21:38   #9
albone
Inactive

albone is an unknown quantity at this point
Just use keyboard and mouse find thats plenty good enough for what games I play!
albone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 13:09   #10
deejaya
Inactive

deejaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Mx700 is the best mouse I have ever used, but I do forget to put it on charge sometimes and have to scramble for my camera's batteries

I also use the keyboard, WASD (for more keys), but a mate of mine uses a Nostromo speedpad and swears by it. I might get one cos it looks like it could be useful sometimes, not sure if my Saitek X45 throttle would do the same job though.
deejaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 13:54   #11
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by deejaya
Mx700 is the best mouse I have ever used, but I do forget to put it on charge sometimes and have to scramble for my camera's batteries
I occasionally leave mine off the cradle all night and it's still fine in the morning.

Quote:
a mate of mine uses a Nostromo speedpad and swears by it. I might get one cos it looks like it could be useful sometimes,
I almost got one a while back but then I reconsidered because I don't really need it as the mouse/keyboard combo is adequate (and I don't need any more clutter either)
Old 11-07-2003, 14:11   #12
deejaya
Inactive

deejaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I occasionally leave mine off the cradle all night and it's still fine in the morning.
Yeah, I should have added "repeatedly". One night doesn't usually hurt, two is sometimes doable depending how much fragging I have done. IU don't think assigning the mouse button to movement helps.
deejaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 14:18   #13
bopdude
Inactive

Just got a leaflet through the door for Aldi's, I know what your gonna say but I gotta check it out. A cordless keyboard \ mouse combo for £20.00 and the mouse is optical, I know you get what you pay for but as I said, I gotta check it out for that price
Old 11-07-2003, 14:31   #14
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Quote:
Just got a leaflet through the door for Aldi's, I know what your gonna say but I gotta check it out. A cordless keyboard \ mouse combo for £20.00 and the mouse is optical, I know you get what you pay for but as I said, I gotta check it out for that price
Don't say we didn't warn you.....
Old 11-07-2003, 14:34   #15
bopdude
Inactive

Quote:
Don't say we didn't warn you.....
Noted and logged .......