Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are TV apps failing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Are TV apps failing?

Old 29-06-2017, 14:41   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Are TV apps failing?

I've had my Samsung TV for about 15 months.

Not long after I got it, Skype was removed. The other day, a scrolling message said that Twitter will shortly be removed.

I'm wondering if this is because adding apps to TV's has not been a commercial success; I hope not as I find some of them useful and it's good to have a back up too.

Presumably they pay to be on there and have not found it to be cost effective. Has anyone else noticed this drip drip of removal on their make of set?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2017, 14:58   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Are TV apps failing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Not long after I got it, Skype was removed. The other day, a scrolling message said that Twitter will shortly be removed.

I'm wondering if this is because adding apps to TV's has not been a commercial success; I hope not as I find some of them useful and it's good to have a back up too.

Presumably they pay to be on there and have not found it to be cost effective. Has anyone else noticed this drip drip of removal on their make of set?
Not on our LG smart TV...
Old 29-06-2017, 15:01   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It's probably a combination of factors.

Skype's removal was due to a complete change to the technology - it's only really the brand that's the same. https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3...nger-supported

I think the Twitter app was written by Samsung, so it may just be that it's not used enough.

But I think as time goes on, it's clearer that some things just aren't suited to a TV, and it's better that the focus stays on those that are TV suitable. Social Media is difficult to use with a TV remote!

I'd point out that Samsung have added a Google Play Movies and TV app to my 2014 Samsung Smart TV, so it sometimes does go both ways.
Old 29-06-2017, 16:12   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Total gimmicks who wants to use the likes of Facebook and Twitter on a TV. When VM first launched TiVo didn't the Twitter app take the full screen up talk about a waste of time that is.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 16:21   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Total gimmicks who wants to use the likes of Facebook and Twitter on a TV. When VM first launched TiVo didn't the Twitter app take the full screen up talk about a waste of time that is.
As you and many others know these are far more responsive and fluid on smaller devices then a TV.
Old 29-06-2017, 17:03   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

You don't know a way to permanently remove the message do you? Very annoying on the Samsung, keep getting these messages about apps I don't use, the messages last for months! Looked on the interweb many seem to frustrated by this 'feature'.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 17:17   #7
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Ultimately it's not cost effective or in some cases technologically feasible to update apps for older TV's. None of the major apps on my 2012 TV are supported/function any more. In fact when I originally signed up to Virgin, the Tivo apps were part of the sales rep's pitch for that very reason.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 17:49   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The manufacturers have no interest in updating apps on old TVs. There's nothing in it for them. They'd rather you bought a new TV.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 18:08   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The manufacturers have no interest in updating apps on old TVs. There's nothing in it for them. They'd rather you bought a new TV.
No surprise there sadly SP.
Old 29-06-2017, 18:18   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Even more reason for VM to push for Amazon on its boxes.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 18:19   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Even more reason for VM to push for Amazon on its boxes.
Now you know SP has to keep his lips sealed.
Old 29-06-2017, 18:22   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes, but it's great to have YouTube, Amazon and Netflix on the TV.

I agree that it's a bit odd in a way to have Facebook and Twitter on the TV, but some find this useful.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Now you know SP has to keep his lips sealed.
I wasn't angling for an answer, just trying a little subtle influence!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 18:31   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

I agree that it's a bit odd in a way to have Facebook and Twitter on the TV, but some find this useful
The thing is apps like YouTube , Amazon , Netflix , Now TV are more set where Facebook and Twitter posts are being posted there every second and TV's IMO are not really made for those type of apps as the info on TV for these apps would become outdated very quickly.

Last edited by denphone; 29-06-2017 at 20:09. Reason: Different wording.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:00   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I agree that it's a bit odd in a way to have Facebook and Twitter on the TV, but some find this useful.
Facebook and Twitter on a TV especially when the app takes over the full screen are a total waste of time in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:58   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

iPlayer is the only app I use on my smart TV; and only because Tivo's version is so 'crap'.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote