Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Old 06-04-2017, 00:03   #16
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently:

- Cricket and golf will have their own dedicated channels in the same way as F1.

- Football to have two channels; one for Premier League and another for everything else.

- A cheaper sports package of about £18 per month to be introduced.

- At The Races to go HD and then be rebranded as Sky Sports Racing.

- Rugby will be bundled with other sports in a variety package.

- European club rugby rights expire in May 2018. It is not expected that Sky will retain them thereafter.

I heard this some time ago from a contact, but dismissed them as unfounded rumours, however, some of these 'rumours' have now appeared in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...gby-rough.html
Also, it's been revealed that Sky have been running confidential surveys mooting these changes to see what customers think of them.

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?[/QUOTE]

Seems to link in with this article from February:

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...ake-up/1424940

I'm sure Muppetman originally shared this on the forum, but I could be wrong.

2 stories from 2 different sources not linking or referring to one another, about the same thing, suggests that changes are in deed coming.

I've also noticed that SKY are currently offering SKY Sports for 12 months at £18.00. This could be a lead into the channel shake up. At the end of 12 months, when the package is due to go to full price, it'll give SKY the chance to talk customers into keeping SKY Sports. I imagine something like this:

Customer: I'm calling to cancel SKY Sports. My 12 month £18.00 deal is coming to an end. I can't afford the full package price.

SKY: What is it you mainly watch? Is it our football coverage?

Customer: Pretty much but I do watch the odd bit of sport here and there.

SKY: Good news. Our new package structure means you can keep watching all the football you love on our 2 dedciated football channels at the same price you're currently paying. And don't forget SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News are included at no additional cost so you can continue to follow other sports too.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2017, 02:43   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Are you saying, they're looking at increasing the overall "full package" cost for those who want everything? Or just, more than what could be a mini-package? (Hope that make sense)

Fair enough about the Daily Mail link, it's an interesting prospect nonetheless. Of course, Sky are oft-criticised for not offering SS-F1 as a standalone channel so if they go this route, that would be fascinating.
AIUI it will work out more expensive for those who want everything​ ie more than the cost of taking everything now, but cheaper if you take less sports that you aren't interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Also, it's been revealed that Sky have been running confidential surveys mooting these changes to see what customers think of them.

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?
Seems to link in with this article from February:

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...ake-up/1424940

I'm sure Muppetman originally shared this on the forum, but I could be wrong.

2 stories from 2 different sources not linking or referring to one another, about the same thing, suggests that changes are in deed coming.

I've also noticed that SKY are currently offering SKY Sports for 12 months at £18.00. This could be a lead into the channel shake up. At the end of 12 months, when the package is due to go to full price, it'll give SKY the chance to talk customers into keeping SKY Sports. I imagine something like this:

Customer: I'm calling to cancel SKY Sports. My 12 month £18.00 deal is coming to an end. I can't afford the full package price.

SKY: What is it you mainly watch? Is it our football coverage?

Customer: Pretty much but I do watch the odd bit of sport here and there.

SKY: Good news. Our new package structure means you can keep watching all the football you love on our 2 dedciated football channels at the same price you're currently paying. And don't forget SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News are included at no additional cost so you can continue to follow other sports too.[/QUOTE]

Could be.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14   #18
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

This is great as i only watch rugby and if this is true i don't have to pay for the other stuff. Am i right that i would only need the variety package ?.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:29   #19
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
This is great as i only watch rugby and if this is true i don't have to pay for the other stuff. Am i right that i would only need the variety package ?.
Well that is the hope for you old bean but alas what we think and what actually happens can be very different.
Old 10-06-2017, 21:50   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

From the 'Coming Soon' thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
A Sky Source has confirm to MB HQ that "Looks like the Daily Mail rumour was almost correct, about 2 months before Sky staff were told... Look out for more info on or after 13th July."
Old 27-06-2017, 21:39   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Link courtesy of Arthur:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/...cid=spartandhp
Old 08-07-2017, 20:45   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Anyone interested in making changes to their Sky Sports subscription as a result of these changes should make a note in their diary for Tuesday 18 July.

This is the date that Sky have told VM they are working towards implementing this

MB has posted information that suggests that At The Races won't be renamed after all...

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 08-07-2017 at 20:50.
Old 08-07-2017, 21:34   #23
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Anyone interested in making changes to their Sky Sports subscription as a result of these changes should make a note in their diary for Tuesday 18 July.

This is the date that Sky have told VM they are working towards implementing this

MB has posted information that suggests that At The Races won't be renamed after all...
You mean the date you've seen people speculating over on DS Forums
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:48   #24
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You mean the date you've seen people speculating over on DS Forums
Don't you just love all the speculation MM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:53   #25
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know when Sky do change the sports channel say i only want the football channels are virgin going to allow people to downgrade as in remove the sports channels we dont want?

if so is there going to be any fees or the 31 day notice thing which they need to remove channels?

also what happens to any discounts that people may have on there accounts for taking the sky sports pack?
love Virgin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:44   #26
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 View Post
Does anyone know when Sky do change the sports channel say i only want the football channels are virgin going to allow people to downgrade as in remove the sports channels we dont want?

if so is there going to be any fees or the 31 day notice thing which they need to remove channels?

also what happens to any discounts that people may have on there accounts for taking the sky sports pack?
Everything about this is under a NDA currently, however when the press releases go out (very soon) then I'm sure you'll get the answers you're looking for.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm still not sure how much success they'll have attracting people with this if the quoted price of £18 Is correct.

Many people are already getting all the Sports for half price which costs less.
Old 09-07-2017, 13:02   #28
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I'm still not sure how much success they'll have attracting people with this if the quoted price of £18 Is correct.

Indeed there are a lot of ifs currently.
Old 09-07-2017, 13:16   #29
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Maybe they're just facing up to the facts of the market. Sky is known for doing its homework on these things.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 14:12   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Maybe they're just facing up to the facts of the market. Sky is known for doing its homework on these things.
Agreed but in my opinion the crux of the problem is the bundle you must take before even having the option to add Sport.

Cheaper bundles with the essential quality pay channels is the answer in my opinion , people are paying stupid amounts so as channels that are rarely watched can take a cut of subscription money.

The likes of Netflix and Amazon have vastly changed the Entertainment landscape , for around £6 a month you can get massive amounts of shows compared to £22 for the Original bundle. No wonder traditional pay TV is finding it harder and harder.