Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 4K or not 4k?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

4K or not 4k?

Old 22-07-2017, 23:30   #1
flatley
Inactive

flatley is an unknown quantity at this point
4K or not 4k?

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

My setup is this: Sony bdp s6200 BD; Yamaha rx475; Q accoustics 2000i; Sony 55x8601 TV

Now, I'm a bit non-technical/noob so please forgive me in advance. According to the specs in the manuals fot these components, I should be able to play 4K UHD discs - would that be correct? It seems I can't. I purchased the 4K version of "Passengers" to see what all the fuss about 4K was but the disc won't load. The transport attempts to load then reports "Fail". On screen, it reports "unable to operate" or something similar.

The one thing I'm unsure of is the interconnects as I need HDMI 2 - is that right? The thing is, I can't get my head 'round the back of the TV well enough to see although it does say "high speed" on the Chord leads I have. As the system is about three years old now, I've since mislaid the invoices.

Or have I just picked up a duff disc?

Cheers!
flatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2017, 00:01   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 4K or not 4k?

I believe this has already been answered over at AV Forums on your thread.

Quote:
You need to buy a UHD player. The Sony BDP S6200 is a Blu-ray player.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/4k-or-not-4k.2112342/
Old 23-07-2017, 00:21   #3
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

The answer is correct. Also note there's upscaled 4k devices and true 4k devices. Much like TV's when they were sold as HD ready (720p) and Full HD (1080p)

So note the True 4K or Upscaled 4K wording when purchasing a device.

Cheaper alternative is to just download or stream some 4K content and see what you think (cheap 4K droid box). The Xbox One S is also a cheaper alternative to some UHD players too. Similar scenario to the PS3 and blu ray players.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 23-07-2017 at 00:28.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:39   #4
flatley
Inactive

Thanks. I understand now! I've also found out that the TV can't do HDR until I perform a firmware update and even then it won't be full fat HDR. Could be a while before I dip my toe in 4K waters again.

Cheers.

Last edited by flatley; 25-07-2017 at 14:41. Reason: Typing on phone is a pain
Old 25-07-2017, 21:09   #5
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Run the system through HDMI 2/ARC cables which are high speed.

I have a smart TV which is wireless. Can you use a wireless keyboard to use for the browser URL (instead of using the TV remote).
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 16:40   #6
flatley
Inactive

Cheers. Think I'm getting there now. Finally set up my wi-fi so will be attempting a firmware update and keeping fingers crossed it won't trash the TV. That'll give me HDR at least and I've also been given some handy links to budget 4K players so I'll be researching that too.

I do have a wireless keyboard but that means unplugging the USB dongle from the back of this PC and that... is well scary. This PC is a customised gaming rig which weighs a ton (and it's a big case: linky: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...ck-with-side-w) and, down the back of it, it looks like spaghetti junction having a bad hair day. I'll have to use the TV remote

So, do you reckon my existing HDMI cables won't cut the mustard? Cost me £120 for the two Chord Co ones...

Thanks.

Last edited by flatley; 27-07-2017 at 16:45.
Old 27-07-2017, 19:26   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatley View Post
Cheers. Think I'm getting there now. Finally set up my wi-fi so will be attempting a firmware update and keeping fingers crossed it won't trash the TV. That'll give me HDR at least and I've also been given some handy links to budget 4K players so I'll be researching that too.

I do have a wireless keyboard but that means unplugging the USB dongle from the back of this PC and that... is well scary. This PC is a customised gaming rig which weighs a ton (and it's a big case: linky: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...ck-with-side-w) and, down the back of it, it looks like spaghetti junction having a bad hair day. I'll have to use the TV remote

So, do you reckon my existing HDMI cables won't cut the mustard? Cost me £120 for the two Chord Co ones...

Thanks.
All you need is an HDMI cable that is classed as high speed and don't pay much for it, you really don't need to pay more than £20.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:44   #8
flatley
Inactive

Brill! Thanks!