Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Best Router

Old 20-04-2012, 23:37   #31
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Best Router

i cant believe I have come into this thread so late but I am defo a Linksys man
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2012, 23:43   #32
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
i cant believe I have come into this thread so late but I am defo a Linksys man
I have come to the conclusion that the Linksy is the one I want. The only problem is, with a new one on the way I am gonna have to wait and I just don't know how long. The EA4500 is the one I want, although I would be interested in seeing how the ASUS N66 rates when released.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:35   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you wont have to wait long, normally stuff like that is shipped next day delivery
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 21:33   #34
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the Linksy is the one I want. The only problem is, with a new one on the way I am gonna have to wait and I just don't know how long. The EA4500 is the one I want, although I would be interested in seeing how the ASUS N66 rates when released.
The only information I can find on the EA4500 (apart from the product page) is that "The new EA Series will help usher in the Connected Home experience, as Cisco is currently working with Whirlpool and more than two dozen other companies, app developers and service providers who are pushing towards network-connected "smart" appliances."

And ""Users can give guests Internet access, set parental controls, and add devices to their network from anywhere at any time through Cisco Connect Cloud's easy-to-use password-protected site,""

The thing I'm not sure on is - minus the Apps & Cloud computing - whether it'll be any quicker then the Linksys E4200v2. Unfortunately no reviews yet. For a UK release date, Morecomputers have a 04 May restock date for it.

As far as the RT-N66U, Techradar seem to have the first UK review and it's quite positive. The negative for the Asus is it's high price.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 23:30   #35
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie

This might seem to be a daft question, but is there a way of improving the signal from this new Modem/Router that V/M have saddled us all with?

On our one, its so weak that we can hardly get a signal in the next room where the router is?

Before they changed it, we used to get full power all over the house, but not any more, in fact its rubbish
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 00:55   #36
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
you wont have to wait long, normally stuff like that is shipped next day delivery
They're not released yet and not available anywhere and no definite dates for when stores will be stocking them.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:59   #37
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgie View Post
This might seem to be a daft question, but is there a way of improving the signal from this new Modem/Router that V/M have saddled us all with?

On our one, its so weak that we can hardly get a signal in the next room where the router is?
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along in a moment, but there's a few things you could try.

As mentioned a few times on this forum, you could try running inSSIDer on one of your wireless PCs. This lets you see what wireless channels are being used near you and then you can switch the Superhub to a less congested one.

If your wireless devices support it, changing to the 5Ghz range could improve performance, especially if channel bonding is used too (I think the Superhub supports this). Virgin also have a handy guide to placing your Superhub.

If you had a wireless router before the Superhub, you could place the Superhub in modem mode and then use your previous router for Wireless and routing duties. This is what I'm doing at the moment. I'm currently using a Linksys router released in 2008, and this seems to be giving me faster wireless speeds then I can get with the Superhub.
Old 23-04-2012, 00:13   #38
Gadgie
Inactive

Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice

Thanks a lot for that very helpful advice, much appreciated.

I will get our lad to follow all them instructions, as he is "on the ball" with computers, and has been for ages

Ive bookmarked the pages of the links you gave me, so that will save him some time, thanks again.

Ive moved the router, as suggested in that V/M advice page, but I'm still only getting 3 bars (out of 5) while I'm in this other room?
Old 23-04-2012, 10:39   #39
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgie View Post

Ive moved the router, as suggested in that V/M advice page, but I'm still only getting 3 bars (out of 5) while I'm in this other room?
If all else fails, and you still can't get a good signal, best to put the Superhub in modem mode and then connect your previous router and use that for wireless (or buy a new router of your choice, if you don't have your old router anymore).

I also found this page on Virgin's site which goes into more detail about how to get a better wireless signal from your Superhub. Including this page linked off it which explains how to switch your Superhub to the 5GHz band.
Old 23-04-2012, 22:09   #40
Gadgie
Inactive

Thanks for those links, very helpful and much appreciated. I will have a go at that tomorrow, thanks again.