Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Bills & Online billing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

BT Box to NTE5 Master socket

Old 04-06-2008, 12:42   #1
microbar
Inactive

microbar is an unknown quantity at this point
BT Box to NTE5 Master socket

I have had to report noise on my phone line on 3 occasions over the last year now,
And it looks like the fault lies with my internal wiring,
I moved into the property in 1986
My bt cable comes through the window recess and firstly terminates into a small bt box
As shown in the picture,

Then a piece of old cable goes from this box to my NTE5 master socket
I have looked at many of my friends bt installation but they do not have this box as in the picture but
Instead a cable just comes through and terminates into there NTE5 Master socket,
Bt said they would send someone out from open reach but this would cost me £140
My question is can I legally remove this box as in the picture and connect the wiring directly to my
NTE5 box thankyou for your help.
microbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2008, 13:10   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: BT Box to NTE5 Master socket

As far as I know, legally you cannot remove the line from the box, as both are BT property. I doubt that there is anything technical stopping you, but you run the risk of BT charging you if they have to repair the line in future.

BTW, to the forum.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 13:32   #3
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Pffff. Like hell they'd charge me £140 - amounts to blackmail. Look at the state of it - hardly modern, is it. I'd kick up a fuss - see where it gets you.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 16:47   #4
microbar
Inactive

Here is a pic of the inside of the box,
Just wondered is it some kind of filter
and would this cause the noise problems on my line ?

Old 04-06-2008, 19:58   #5
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

hi no its not a filter it is a BT version on a chocolate block.

the black cable coming through the window is for outsite use and contains toxin's which is why they use that device to they can swap it to indoor cable which is safe.

if u have a look u will see that there are pairs of the same colour connected together
Old 04-06-2008, 20:12   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Yeah its just a Choc Block with IDC terminals instead of screw ones as Iain says
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 23:47   #7
microbar
Inactive

So who is responsable if a fault develops between this choc block
And the cable that comes from it to the NTE5 Cable,

As I keep getting noise on my line and have to move the cable slightly
from the choc box to stop the noise,

I have reported noise on my line 4 times in the last 6 month,
And its obviously coming from the box or cable before the NTE5 Box.

But every time I ask for openreach to check this i am warned off by bt
They threaten me with a charge of £140

it looks as though I will be terminating my line with bt

I dont know what to do I am disabled and need a telephone
I tried to order my prescription 3 times today but could not here the other person on the phone for the line noise.
Old 05-06-2008, 00:23   #8
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

They are responsible for everything up to your master socket so I dont think you would have to pay for it
Old 05-06-2008, 01:02   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Everything on the street side of your NTE5 Master socket, including the master socket itself, is the responsibility of the Telco. If you have extensions unplug them so only the master socket remains. From there, if you have more problems with a noisy line fault it has to be the telco's line problem. Stop talking to them that you have a concern about your internal wiring condition. Just keep reporting it as a fault on the service to your property.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 23:51   #10
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Everything on the street side of your NTE5 Master socket, including the master socket itself, is the responsibility of the Telco. If you have extensions unplug them so only the master socket remains. From there, if you have more problems with a noisy line fault it has to be the telco's line problem. Stop talking to them that you have a concern about your internal wiring condition. Just keep reporting it as a fault on the service to your property.
You need to remove the extension sockets, not just the phones. So only the master socket is left. If the noise goes away, then it's your internal wiring/sockets at fault. If the noise remains then it's BT fault, and they must fix FOC.
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 00:03   #11
Graham M
-

If you take the fascia off of the master socket it will reveal a test socket into which your extensions and the outside socket normally plug, plug your line directly into this, this will cut out all of your extensions, there is no need to unpick the wiring!
Old 06-06-2008, 00:13   #12
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

Posted a picture in another post plus a quick description on removal if it helps.

Post is at: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34564232-post6.html
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:28   #13
microbar
Inactive

I dont have any extensions just my master socket
I called to cancel my bt account today as bt keep warning me of possible charges,
I got through to a guy in india he passed me to his supervisor
And I said I was that fed up with BTs black mail I wanted to cancel my BT account he sorted out a free visit from an engineer this saturday,

He said as long as my phone was not causing the noise,
And I did not have any faulty extensions on my line,

Then the call out would be free
and hopefully the engineer will now replace the offending cable or box
fingers crossed.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

There is never a charge unless fault lies with CPE (Customer premis equipment) so you would not be charged for the call out unless something you have done or plugged in has caused the problem. As long as you have checked the test socket (if there is one) you should be safe, if the extension wiring is to blame on your side of the main socket then prepare for a bill.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28   #15
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

When the advisor told you there would be a charge and how much they were telling you the worst possible outcome

As Paul as pointed out they don’t charge unless it’s a CPE issue
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote